Outdoor portrait session with violist

sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited April 28, 2008 in People
Hello!

Here are some images from a recent shoot I did with a violist. I feel like my work has improved over the past few years but I'm always looking for more tips and techniques for getting better images---posing, composition, lighting, exposure, post-processing... I'd greatly appreciate any observations, criticisms or suggestions.

286513850_Ac5pE-L.jpg

286514544_p4brH-L.jpg

286515911_nPxHo-L.jpg

286517691_xi5RV-L.jpg

If you want to see more, I can pm you a link.

For comparison, here are some portraits I shot last fall and also a collection of portraits from the past 18 months or so.

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    I really like the last 2.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • CassisPCassisP Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Nice shots, the last two are my favorite. I love her black dress...

Cassis
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    i too like the last two! thumb.gif

The difference is in the expression but also in the lush green background that works well with the other colours in the photo. number one is ok but no thing special, number 2 is too yello IMO. try making more like the last two and it will work out fine mwink.gif (look out with the background though, an inch further to the left and the tree would have grown from her head in number 3)
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • limey-glimey-g Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    I guess a black dress does it every time for most of us.
    Geoff
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    nice shots. I would prefer a slight reduction in brightness and touch more color saturation.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Justin PhillilpsJustin Phillilps Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 28, 2008
    All are nice, but the last one is awesome!
  • sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Thanks all for looking and commenting!

I definitely felt that the shots like 3 and 4 were the best; partly the location/background, partly the dress, and also we had been working together for about an hour at that point.

@Chrissiebeez_NL: thanks for the opinion on WB. I have found it difficult to tell how skin tones are going to look on different people's monitors, unfortunately. I'll play with fine-tuning it to try and get the colors to look a bit better. (I don't have Photoshop but I imagine these would all benefit from some of rutt's tutorials.) Also, watching the bg was definitely tough. I was able to keep branches from intersecting her head for the most part, but the branch in the upper right bothers me now. Do you have any tricks/checklists you use to make sure the composition works out?

@Qarik: I'll play with the brightness/sat too; I think the saturation is okay for my taste right now but I'm open to playing around a bit.

By the way, rented the Canon 135/2L for this from borrowlenses.com and, wow, that is a nice lens. :D