Bunch of images now have "proof" across them

BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
edited April 29, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Earlier today I went into customize gallery for one of my galleries and turned off square thumbnails. Then I walked away from my computer. Fast foward several hours and now 6 of the 8 photos in that gallery now have Smugmug's "proof" watermark across the front of them. Watermarking is set to NO in this gallery. The 2 photos without "proof" are correct, no watermark at all. All of these images previously had no watermark applied. What's up?

The gallery is password protected and is here:
http://gallery.primarycolors.com/gallery/2546998_BoAF7

It's quite obvious which photos now say "proof".

I will leave them as is for the moment, but will remove the "proof" watermark later tonight.
Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug

Comments

• chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    OK ... I give up ... Bill Who? Or, did I miss something?
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    BeachBill wrote:
    Earlier today I went into customize gallery for one of my galleries and turned off square thumbnails. Then I walked away from my computer. Fast foward several hours and now 6 of the 8 photos in that gallery now have Smugmug's "proof" watermark across the front of them. Watermarking is set to NO in this gallery. The 2 photos without "proof" are correct, no watermark at all. All of these images previously had no watermark applied. What's up?

The gallery is password protected and is here:
    http://gallery.primarycolors.com/gallery/2546998_BoAF7

It's quite obvious which photos now say "proof".

I will leave them as is for the moment, but will remove the "proof" watermark later tonight.

I checked our logs for this image,
    http://primarycolors.smugmug.com/gallery/2546998_BoAF7/1/134149716_t9aPd

it says you watermarked it on 2007-10-17 at 17:24:25 CA time.

Does this help?

You can unwatermark 'em by going to photo tools>watermarking and remove the watermark.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    I just duplicated the issue. It is the new, behind the scenes, square thumbnail remover adding "proof" watermarks to images that it is removing square thumbnails from.

Pictures 2 through 12 in the following password protected gallery had sqaure thumbnails. I went into customize gallery and set Square thumbnails to original and hit save. I came back after dinner and checked the gallery. The square thumbs were gone and each of the photos now have "proof" on them. This gallery also has watermarking set to no.

http://gallery.primarycolors.com/gallery/1839636

Photo #1 in the gallery did not have a square thumb so it was not effected.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    OK Bill we're checking on this again. Stay tuned
    edited April 29, 2008
    An update. I went into the second gallery I mentioned above and removed the proof watermarks, confirmed they were gone from all the images then went into customize gallery and turned square thumbs back on. I checked the gallery a few minutes later and the same 11 images (number 2 through 12) had the proof watermark again. Image #1, which I uploaded in the past week, does not have the proof watermark even though all images in the gallery now have square thumbs.

I will let you guys think about this issue and fix it in time. Hopefully you can duplicate it at will on a test account so we will eventually get a fix. For now, the workaround after changing the gallery thumbs setting on a gallery with watermarks turned off is to remove the proof watermarks.

I didn't test this on a gallery that does have watermarking (with a custom watermark) turned on. Hopefully as part of this fix your team will test that scenario as well...

I'm going to remove the proof watermarks from the images in both of the galleries I mentioned in this thread.
  • ThandoThando Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    I haven't been able to recreate yet. Couple questions for you. Did you have the a watermark on the gallery previously? And was the gallery passworded while you changed the thumbnails? I'll keep banging on this, but I'm curious about those things.
    edited April 29, 2008
    Thando wrote:
    I haven't been able to recreate yet. Couple questions for you. Did you have the a watermark on the gallery previously? And was the gallery passworded while you changed the thumbnails? I'll keep banging on this, but I'm curious about those things.

These galleries (in the family category) have been around a long time and I'm sure at one point early on, watermarking was on when they were created however watermarking has been off for a long long time.

They have been continuously password protected.

Let's focus on one of the galleries...
    http://gallery.primarycolors.com/gallery/1839636

Image #1 in this gallery was uploaded within the past week. It is not getting the "proof" watermark when I change between square and original thumbs. All of the other images were uploaded over one year ago (the latest being March 20, 2007) and they are getting the proof watermark.

This leads me to believe some new property has probably been added to the individual images that tracks what watermark if any should be applied to that image. I remember a discussion about watermark issues sometime in the recent past, maybe when smugmungous was added, and then I think something was done to deal with those issues. Perhaps older images did not get updated with this new property?

Please feel free to play with this specific gallery and review the properties of each of the images (at least the one image not getting the watermark and one of the images that is getting the watermark).
    edited April 29, 2008
    Thanks, that's helpful. I will keep you posted of what I find.
    edited April 29, 2008
    I've been trying to replicate this in another gallery today and last night. I've been unsuccessful so far. I am not sure what is going on here, but there is definitely something there. I'm sorry that I don't have more info for you, but we'll keep digging.