Options

Tools of the trade.

EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited May 1, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Was asked to help Photograph a building. Its a 300' long building on only 80 yards or so to the freeways fence, with my 10-20mm it barley covered it all.

So I went home and got my lift. Parked on the freeway and got a better shot.

286200368_T93sV-M.jpg

Then a State guy pulled up and wondered what was going on.

286199492_RaMHc-M.jpg

We got the building, but that Sigma lens sucks. :dunno

286661088_8vX2Q-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Was asked to help Photograph a building. Its a 300' long building on only 80 yards or so to the freeways fence, with my 10-20mm it barley covered it all.

So I went home and got my lift. Parked on the freeway and got a better shot.

Then a State guy pulled up and wondered what was going on.
    We got the building, but that Sigma lens sucks. ne_nau.gif

Awwww ya should have done a PANO, you would have fitted it in.
    You had a nice sky for your background.

Least ya didn't get arrested for trying rolleyes1.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Awwww ya should have done a PANO, you would have fitted it in.
    You had a nice sky for your background.

Least ya didn't get arrested for trying rolleyes1.gif .... Skippy :D

True, I should of tried a pano, but I rarely get them to turn out right.

Any suggestions? Would 35 or 50mm be the way to go? Set the camera to manual or what?
    thanks
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Good on you for getting the shot. A little ingenuity ( and a lift ) go a long way.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    True, I should of tried a pano, but I rarely get them to turn out right.

Any suggestions? Would 35 or 50mm be the way to go? Set the camera to manual or what?
    thanks
    50mm
    Manual Aperture, Shutter speed, and white balance
    Overlap about 30% from one frame to the next
    No circular polorizer
  • Options
    hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    i think this shot is not bad! i like it a lot, i dont see how the lens sucked. I think this shot came out very well
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2008
    Thanks Scott, I'll try that again. He wants to get there next weekend and tape over the photoelectric cells for the signs to come on earlier, and turn on all the interior lights in each space. (they also have several other buildings in town a may want them photographed too!)
    i think this shot is not bad! i like it a lot, i dont see how the lens sucked. I think this shot came out very well

The signs on the very ends are blurred! Thats where I wonder if the spendy Nikkor 12-24 would be worth its money?
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2008
    The signs on the very ends are blurred! Thats where I wonder if the spendy Nikkor 12-24 would be worth its money?
    For this job, I wouldn't think so. Slap the 50mm on, flip the camera to portrait orientation and take a series of photos (per direction above) and stitch together a very, very nice pano. Easy stuff with no more capital invested.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2008
    How does portrait mode help, and would I need one of them pano heads for the tripod? And will standing at the center of the building be good enough for a good pano? Thanks
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2008
    How does portrait mode help, and would I need one of them pano heads for the tripod? And will standing at the center of the building be good enough for a good pano? Thanks
    Get's you more data (sky & foreground) that you can either keep or toss.

Tripod - Only if you have stuff in the very near foreground. That's when you need to pivot your camera about the lens nodal point, etc.

For more distant subjects, you can get'er done hand held - though I would use a tripod 'cause I'm that sort of anal engineer mwink.gif

From the center would get you a balanced shot. I would also, time permitting, try it from one end or the other just to see what the change in perspective would offer up - it would be an opportunity for some creative expression.

BTW - I'm not a pano expert. I've done it a couple of times and I've stayed at a H.... (we'll just leave it at that:D)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited April 30, 2008
    A pano kit would help in this instance. But enough to warrant purchasing one?
    Not sure.

But manual exposure, overlap by around 25% or so depending on the number
    of vertical reference points and "confusion". By confusion, I mean things like
    trees or clouds that might be hard to stitch back together. In the later, more
    toward 30% is better.

The lens you use will depend on how far away you are from the subject and
    how much detail you want. I'm guessing around 50mm or maybe something
    in the 16-35 ish range would work. I would suggest that your frame include
    some sky and maybe 1/2 the amount of road you're showing now just so
    you're emphasizing more of the building.

Using the lift is a great way to gain perspective. Nicely done.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    A pano kit would help in this instance. But enough to warrant purchasing one?
    Not sure.

But manual exposure, overlap by around 25% or so depending on the number
    of vertical reference points and "confusion". By confusion, I mean things like
    trees or clouds that might be hard to stitch back together. In the later, more
    toward 30% is better.

The lens you use will depend on how far away you are from the subject and
    how much detail you want. I'm guessing around 50mm or maybe something
    in the 16-35 ish range would work. I would suggest that your frame include
    some sky and maybe 1/2 the amount of road you're showing now just so
    you're emphasizing more of the building.

Using the lift is a great way to gain perspective. Nicely done.

Thanks, I have a 50mm 1.8 that takes some sharp images. Also a 17-50 2.8. But the distortion of that 10-20 is frustrating.

Any recommendation on software for the stitch? I have that Canon version, and liked Double Takes. Is there another I should check out? (for Mac)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited May 1, 2008
    Thanks, I have a 50mm 1.8 that takes some sharp images. Also a 17-50 2.8. But the distortion of that 10-20 is frustrating.

Any recommendation on software for the stitch? I have that Canon version, and liked Double Takes. Is there another I should check out? (for Mac)
    If you have or can get CS3, it rules for panos. I've also used Panorama Factory
    with similar results. CS3 is better than pano factory which is better than the
    Canon stuff.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    If you have or can get CS3, it rules for panos. I've also used Panorama Factory
    with similar results. CS3 is better than pano factory which is better than the
    Canon stuff.
    +1 on all counts!