Two snapshots from Earth Day

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited May 2, 2008 in People
These have been converted from RAW, contrast boosted and de-boogered, but no selective editing on eyes. Both shot with 17-55 2.8 IS. C&C Welcome, especially on which skin tone is more pleasing...the green grass in the 2nd is fooling my eye.

1. In his stroller, the cover provided an awesome GOBO for the sun...you can see at least three people in his iris at 100%
287013621_TGya6-L.jpg

2. Mommy's little fill-flashed peace warrior :D
287013803_WmhnW-L.jpg
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    # 2 is pretty kool...

I would like these better if they had some breathing room.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    #1 is BEAUTIFUL clap.gif I love it whne you can see the reflection in kid's eyes!! iloveyou.gif
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    The eyes are great. I am not feeling the shadow below the middle of this cheek in the second one.
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    #1 is BEAUTIFUL clap.gif I love it whne you can see the reflection in kid's eyes!! iloveyou.gif

Sometimes it is all about taste...i too LOVE iloveyou.gif #1!!!!!!!!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    Wow!! What a pair of peepers he has!!! Watch out world! :D.... I too am a fan of #1!!
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    # 2 is pretty kool...

I would like these better if they had some breathing room.

Thanks Rhino! I appreciate the input!
    agnieszka wrote:
    Thanks! I have been attempting this effect for quite some time and can't believe the best result is in the stroller! But hey, whatever works!
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    The eyes are great. I am not feeling the shadow below the middle of this cheek in the second one.
    I am not crazy about that part of #2 either, actually not sure why that happened. I think maybe he was just so close to the camera, the on camera (popup) flash got blocked partially by the lens? Thanks for commenting!
    brishay wrote:
    Sometimes it is all about taste...i too LOVE iloveyou.gif #1!!!!!!!!
    Thanks, Briggie! I think a big metallic print is in the future for that one:D
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    I love the sharpness in those eyes!! :oogle

haha "de-boogered"! priceless!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    My vote is for #1.

I like the skin tones, sharpness, and the filled frame!!

My guess in #2 is that you are correct. The shadow is from that big hunk of glass while using da pop em up flash. Were you using the lens with a hood, or did it cast that shadow all by itself....and where in the world was your speedlight?

I have shot some at nearly that range with the 580 and got no shadow. I always use the hood. The uninformed see that lens and say "whoooohooo!!! I bet you can really zoom with that thing!!!". They just don't know!!!:D

It is a big hunk of goodness though.:D

Thanks for sharing the great photographs!!
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2008
    Great capture of the eyes in #1
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    FWIW - I'm really liking #1. Love the eyes. And, though I like tight crops on portraits, I think this could use a bit more space - just a small bit. Still, this is a stellar photo!
    edited April 30, 2008

Thanks! I'm usually not good at that, it's taken 3 years of practice to do those baby blues such justice!

And yeah, he's got nostrils so deep and wide you can see his brain, so deboogering is a full time job. rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited April 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    My vote is for #1.

I like the skin tones, sharpness, and the filled frame!!

My guess in #2 is that you are correct. The shadow is from that big hunk of glass while using da pop em up flash. Were you using the lens with a hood, or did it cast that shadow all by itself....and where in the world was your speedlight?

I have shot some at nearly that range with the 580 and got no shadow. I always use the hood. The uninformed see that lens and say "whoooohooo!!! I bet you can really zoom with that thing!!!". They just don't know!!!:D

It is a big hunk of goodness though.:D

Thanks for sharing the great photographs!!

didn't lug my 580 around the festival...We had 5 kids and two strollers between the two adults and taking pictures was definitely an afterthought! Yep, I definitely used the hood as it was a very sunny day and this was right about high noon. (Sunny enough that I definitely missed high speed synch, too 11doh.gif) But even with the technical flaws, I still looooove this shot (where's the peace sign emoticon???) ne_nau.gif

Thanks for lookin', Jeff!
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited April 30, 2008
    FWIW - I'm really liking #1. Love the eyes. And, though I like tight crops on portraits, I think this could use a bit more space - just a small bit. Still, this is a stellar photo!

thanks Scott!!! It is a horizontal crop of a vertical photo, and it's already cropped for 8x10, so a 4x6 crop has more room, but I'm probably going to print at a squarish ratio. I'm just happy I didn't have to cut an eye or a chin off! rolleyes1.gifThanks for looking and commenting!
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited April 30, 2008
    RBrogen wrote:
    Great capture of the eyes in #1

Thank you!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Yikes! They eyes are INSANE! Gorgeous.... I love how close they are - I dont' mind the lack of "breathing room" at all! Stunning.
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008

Laughing.gif, i do a lot of de boogering myself :D
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Hi Lynne wave.gif #1 is awesome....what gorgeous baby blues! I prefer the skin tones in #1, though I would tend to warm it up a tiny bit with more yellow and less magenta. I don't mind the tight crop at all. It definitely puts the focus on the eyes and the reflections in them. Probably make a cool black and white as well! I think you should write up a de-boogering tutorial for us. Not an easy task......with or without Photoshop!!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    His eyes just make me want to stare at the shots forever. I like #1 the most.

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX