C&C please, yellow lab

silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited May 2, 2008 in Technique
Hi guy and gals. I'm in a constant journey to grow in my photagraphy skills. I'm still reletively new at this so I like to soak everything in. Anyway, I've been trying to get some good shots of my girlfriend's dog. She wants a good portrait for something or other (dog treat box or something) so I've been shooting a lot. Some inherrant issues are that 'Sadie' does not like to sit still and follows me everywhere. OK, I'm rambling. Here are some pics I'd appreciate any C&C on. Thanks in advance.

First pic, I don't have the EXIF right now but can get it later today. I know a proper fill flash could've helped some but it wasn't working with the grass right behind her. Also, some parts of her coat are very light and it is hard to get a good exposure without blowing out some pixels (I'm more than open to ideas).
2436670478_551ef1c95a_o.jpg

Second photo, pretty much the same story as above.

2434650113_cc9c7a8963_b.jpg

Thanks again.
- Joe
http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10

Comments

• ArgosArgos Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    You might also want to try tinkering with reflectors to help with the shadows. Simple stuff works fine -- white cardboard, even wearing a white T-shirt -- in many cases. Less fidgety, less expensive, and easier to cart around than a ton of flash gear, too.
    Argos
    Lead dog at Old Dog Photography
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 30, 2008
    I like the second shot the best. In the first I can't decide of the dog is the primary subject or the old housene_nau.gif The dogs face is shaded as you noticed.

One must be very careful with 'dappled lighting' - sunshine shining through tree leaves or branches as it frequently casts irregular shadows on faces - whether canine or human, and after the fact, they are almost impossible to remove. Shadow/highlight can help a bit, but avoiding that kind of lighting when shooting is the better plan. In dappled lighting, even fill flash may not always work that well.

It is easy to overlook too, as human eyes can see into the shadows so much better than cameras. After one has been bitten a few times, one begins to look more carefully for it before pressing the shutter. DAMHIK:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    When your done with the dog, I (and others I am sure) want to see more images of the old house. In and out, if possible!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    When your done with the dog, I (and others I am sure) want to see more images of the old house. In and out, if possible!

Don

I'll do my best. There are a TON of these old, abandoned houses and churches around where I live. I'm unsure of the safety of these things, so inside might be a no go.

Thanks for the input, I'm looking at external flashes now (too many hobbies) and I have a bit of white poster board. The next 'nice' day that the dog is around I'll be trying again.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    silversx80 wrote:
    I'll do my best. There are a TON of these old, abandoned houses and churches around where I live. I'm unsure of the safety of these things, so inside might be a no go.

Thanks for the input, I'm looking at external flashes now (too many hobbies) and I have a bit of white poster board. The next 'nice' day that the dog is around I'll be trying again.
    Fully understood. Don't risk anything in rotten conditions. Shots through doors and windows can be interesting, though. (I know this is OT).

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    I'm no professional, but I get my best photos of my dogs when I'm sitting on the ground and someone else is playing with them. Or after they are done playing and settled down. You'll find that the unexpected shot will be the best....so click away.

Good luck -- I can't wait to see what you get :D