• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Lovely captures :D
    #1 looks like Helophilus pendulus -

Brian V.
  • VivaxVivax Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Thanks for comments Phil and Brian.

Phil They were taken with some fill flash from the onboard (with a home made extension thing) I think my moniter my be a little bright as they dont look too dark to me (Every one elses images are just too light headscratch.gif )

Brian - "#1 looks like Helophilus pendulus" - not too hot on insect idents but just found out that the latin for this means "dangling swamp-lover" :D I wont forget that one for a while!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Vivax wrote:
    Thanks for comments Phil and Brian.

Phil They were taken with some fill flash from the onboard (with a home made extension thing) I think my moniter my be a little bright as they dont look too dark to me (Every one elses images are just too light headscratch.gif )

Brian - "#1 looks like Helophilus pendulus" - not too hot on insect idents but just found out that the latin for this means "dangling swamp-lover" :D I wont forget that one for a while!
    Never translated the latin - I assumed wrongly the Helo bit referred to the sun. Very appropriate name then as these are often found near water.
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Vivax wrote:
    Summer is on its way (Here anyway!) roll on the insect legions :D

The Second shot is pretty cool.
    I can see the fine hairs on the Hovers Eyes... looks like he has pollen attached to him as well.

Great shot clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin