Raynox DCR250 ?

TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited May 2, 2008 in Holy Macro
Hello everyone,
Has anyone ever used this lens? Thinking about trying it on my D40 since I already have it left over from my S3IS.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    Has anyone ever used this lens? Thinking about trying it on my D40 since I already have it left over from my S3IS.
    Not sure what lens you are planning to clip it on to but worth trying it to see what you get.
    Brian V
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    Hello everyone,

I haven't, but we will be interested to see your results if you plan on trying it TwistedJ thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Bad news doesn't work. rolleyes1.gif I'm looking at lenses and sitting on my hands with the checkbook and credit card hid. :ivar
    edited May 1, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    Bad news doesn't work. rolleyes1.gif I'm looking at lenses and sitting on my hands with the checkbook and credit card hid. :ivar

What doesn't work ?- the lens won't fit or you can't get focus ?
    What lens are you trying to attach it to ?

Brian V.
  • TwistedJTwistedJ Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    What doesn't work ?- the lens won't fit or you can't get focus ?
    What lens are you trying to attach it to ?

Brian V.

Hi Brian......
    I tried it with 2 lenses for my Nikon D40 the 18-55 standard lens and then a Tamron 70-300 I have. It took photos but they didn't look good and Raynox says the DCR 250 is for point and shoot cams. They recommended a different model for the D40. One question for you since you are my hero of macro......and I'm new to this, 1:2 is that considered in the Macro field? I understand or have been told 1:1 is true Macro. Thanks.........
    edited May 2, 2008
    TwistedJ wrote:
    Hi Brian......
    I tried it with 2 lenses for my Nikon D40 the 18-55 standard lens and then a Tamron 70-300 I have. It took photos but they didn't look good and Raynox says the DCR 250 is for point and shoot cams. They recommended a different model for the D40. One question for you since you are my hero of macro......and I'm new to this, 1:2 is that considered in the Macro field? I understand or have been told 1:1 is true Macro. Thanks.........

Re- DCR250 - I'm slightly suprised but at least you tried it :).

There is always an argument over where macro begins and closeups finish. Many people will say that it is 1:1 magnification but as that is the maximum magnification of most macro lenses and most people do not take shots at that magnification it seems to be a bit impractical to me. I use a definition that says a macrophotograph when printed or vewed on the PC screen should show detail the naked eye cannot see. If you work out backwards what this means, it comes out that the field of view needs to be about 5cms wide maximum at the nearest focus point of the subject which works out for a 1.6 crop camera to be about 1:2 magnification.

Brian V.