Options

Monitor Calibration

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited April 5, 2005 in Technique
Just curious how many of you have calibrated your monitor. If you have, what instrument/software did you use and were you happy with the results.

Just got some recent pics back from my usual online printer and felt that my images could have been printed better. I have not had this problem in the past. Just wondering if I'm really sending out images that come close to what I am seeing on my monitor.

mitch

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    I find most printers all have different output, especially when it comes to color, and to a lesser extent, brightness. There is no universal setting that will work on all printers. For best result, send a test print to the printer at the size and paper you want to use. Adjust as needed.

Some things that can help to calibrate the monitor, is adobe gamma, colorvision spyder (or equivalent), even this page can help:
    http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/

Mitchell wrote:
    Just curious how many of you have calibrated your monitor. If you have, what instrument/software did you use and were you happy with the results.

Just got some recent pics back from my usual online printer and felt that my images could have been printed better. I have not had this problem in the past. Just wondering if I'm really sending out images that come close to what I am seeing on my monitor.

mitch
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Patch calibrated mine with his Eye-One when I first got the new monitor. I have the cheaper version of the software, but I've been afraid to use it. I don't understand all the language and concepts, and I'm scared of screwing up the monitor.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    I use spyder pro on both my lcd and crt with darn good results.
    I use precal first on the lcd.
  • Options
    TOF guyTOF guy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    I've used first calibration with software only. It certainly makes a difference, but IMO is not good enough.

I've bought Spyder Pro and it is very good :D . I've recently upgraded to the Spyder Pro 2 and it is a notch better :D:D . But unlike the software only solution, my experience is that the Spyder Pro is perfectly adequate for the job (certainly for amateur photography). The slightly better calibration and profiling performed by #2 is more like icing on the cake wave.gif .
    mitch
    Maybe, maybe not. It is possible that your printer service is using a different printer, or different inks, or ... But in any case it is going to be very difficult to diagnose the problem if you can't trust what you see on your monitor in the 1st place ne_nau.gif .

Thierry
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:

mitch
    I have just jumped into the deep end of the pool on this issue. I have calibrated my monitor, and scaner with a monaco OPTIX, and have the monaco EZcolor software to generate custom ICC printer profiles.

I am now beginning to get a basic grasp of color management.

As far as the prints matching, I would say you do need to start with a calibrated monitor. Ask them if they are doing any color corection, and if they can turn it off. If you have processed your image in PS and have the way you want it, you probably don't want them to do any additional color correction. Also see if they can send you an ICC profile so you can soft proof your image.

I have only had a few images printed outside and both times (2 different labs) included instructions to not do any color corection, and they came out very good. On the other hand I gave Costco a try. Cheap, so so quality, and no consistancy from day to day. Needless to say I will not use them or the other high volume dicount places.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Sam
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    The devil's advocate here. Just learn all the color values in all the color spaces and use the eye dropper. Dan Margulis advocates a "by the numbers" approach to color correction. Then you could even do LAB curves in The Gimp.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 5, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    The devil's advocate here. Just learn all the color values in all the color spaces and use the eye dropper. Dan Margulis advocates a "by the numbers" approach to color correction. Then you could even do LAB curves in The Gimp.

I used the calibration routine provided in the Apple system software for the Cinema display. I also check my blacks and whites by the numbers as rutt describes. This has given me very good correlation with the prints from my Epson 4000 printed via Photoshop or via the profiles in ImagePrint 6, a RIP.

Prints that I have ordered from Smugmug for comparision match my own prints and my monitor very closely. Seems to work for me.

I did use Monaco EZ Color and its EYE on my Win XP box, and prints from it also printed on my Mac system seem dead on as well. SO I seem to be able to use files from the MAC or the WIN box interchangeably. I have had monitors that were definatelty too cool and needed caibration in the past.

You really do need to have some method of validating the monitors accuracy, or you can be wnadering lost in the desert without a compass and no water to drink. :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I used the calibration routine provided in the Apple system software for the Cinema display. I also check my blacks and whites by the numbers as rutt describes. This has given me very good correlation with the prints from my Epson 4000 printed via Photoshop or via the profiles in ImagePrint 6, a RIP.

Prints that I have ordered from Smugmug for comparision match my own prints and my monitor very closely. Seems to work for me.

I did use Monaco EZ Color and its EYE on my Win XP box, and prints from it also printed on my Mac system seem dead on as well. SO I seem to be able to use files from the MAC or the WIN box interchangeably. I have had monitors that were definatelty too cool and needed caibration in the past.

You really do need to have some method of validating the monitors accuracy, or you can be wnadering lost in the desert without a compass and no water to drink. :D

Jim, your irony detector's threshold needs adjustment. Those smilies are making you lazy.

Yes, I also believe in using the Apple calibration program (os x), Adobe Gamma (windows), or "monitor-callibration-tool" (linux). It's good to get the monitor onto the right planet. But there is no substitute for actually getting the color values correct by the numbers. Your eyes will fool you too often, even on a properly calibrated monitor. That's why I think things like Monoco are misguided overkill.

See this old post of mine on the subject:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=7516&postcount=8

Every day lots of images are submitted to dgrin that look right on the monitor to the photographer, but which aren't right and won't print right and no amount of color management would help. For a recent example, look at this:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=9006

Even as advanced a pro as Shay Stephens was fooled by trusting his eyes instead of checking the numbers.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 5, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Jim, your irony detector's threshold needs adjustment. Those smilies are making you lazy.
    eek7.gif
    Yes, I also believe in using the Apple calibration program (os x), Adobe Gamma (windows), or "monitor-callibration-tool" (linux). It's good to get the monitor onto the right planet. But there is no substitute for actually getting the color values correct by the numbers. Your eyes will fool you too often, even on a properly calibrated monitor. That's why I think things like Monoco are misguided overkill.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    See this old post of mine on the subject:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=7516&postcount=8

Every day lots of images are submitted to dgrin that look right on the monitor to the photographer, but which aren't right and won't print right and no amount of color management would help. For a recent example, look at this:

Even as advanced a pro as Shay Stephens was fooled by trusting his eyes instead of checking the numbers.
    Checking for out of gamut colors can be helpful in printing too:):

John, I try to control my use of smilies, but sometimes I just can't help my selfblbl.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Be warned! I have printed out the recomendations you made in this thread. I have to say at first glance it looks waaaaay complicated. So if you wake up some morning to find a diselveled unshaven guy clutching reams of well worn, finger print stained documents, don't call the police, that would be me. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Be warned! I have printed out the recomendations you made in this thread. I have to say at first glance it looks waaaaay complicated. So if you wake up some morning to find a diselveled unshaven guy clutching reams of well worn, finger print stained documents, don't call the police, that would be me. :D

Sam

Learning professional prepress techniques takes time and dedication. But really, it's worth it. There is no substitute. You can only hope that your abilities in this area improve at the same pace as the rest of you photographic skills.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    TOF guyTOF guy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    Devil's advocate
    rutt wrote:

Playing the devil's advocate, I don't see how your edit in that thread illustrates your point ne_nau.gif .

The pic IMO suffers from the get go from unnatural colors. You've applied an edit that opens up the mid-tones a bit :D - great, a lot of pic suffers from this - and another change which add saturation to the colors and makes the problem worse ... which may be just as well: the person who posted the pic loves the effect, and that is what matters thumb.gif . The question is: you're implying that behind the corrections there is some cross-check with the numbers. I don't see this at work in that post. headscratch.gif

A zone system can be used for checking white balance (as the color of many objects is known within a certain range) and luminosity (same idea), that is true. Another way is to leave visible part of a Gretag Color Checker (the grey squares suffice) at the edge of a picture. But IMO your advice about monitor calibration is misguided. A reliable calibration tool is very useful, as it links the output of both monitor and printer to a common reference. Maybe Dan Margulis does not need it, but most of us have an easier life in a calibrated world. Sure our eyes can still deceive us. But the precautions are known. And yes, one can always check consistency with known RGB values. One does not prevent the other 1drink.gif .

Just to offer another point of view :): !

Thierry
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    TOF guy wrote:
    Playing the devil's advocate, I don't see how your edit in that thread illustrates your point ne_nau.gif .

You are right. The only point about that post was that Shay looked at it and thought it was fine. I thought so too when I looked at it. But when I got out the color sampler, I found it didn't have a true shadow and that the water detail, something the photographer cared about, occupied a pretty narrow section of the curve. I'm not arguing that my correction was right, only that I didn't actually use my eyes to do it and that the people who were using their eyes (including me) couldn't see anything wrong.

I'm sure a better edit would be possible and I'm sure more skill could be brought to bare than I possess. That isn't the point. The point is that if you just try to use your eyes to decide what looks right on a monitor, you'll be wrong much of the time, no matter how well the mointor is calibrated. Sad but true.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    You are right. The only point about that post was that Shay looked at it and thought it was fine. I thought so too when I looked at it. But when I got out the color sampler, I found it didn't have a true shadow and that the water detail, something the photographer cared about, occupied a pretty narrow section of the curve. I'm not arguing that my correction was right, only that I didn't actually use my eyes to do it and that the people who were using their eyes (including me) couldn't see anything wrong.

I'm sure a better edit would be possible and I'm sure more skill could be brought to bare than I possess. That isn't the point. The point is that if you just try to use your eyes to decide what looks right on a monitor, you'll be wrong much of the time, no matter how well the mointor is calibrated. Sad but true.

So maybe we don't actually disagree that much. The A+B curve steepening I did to this shot was sort of over the top, but I knew the photographer would like it. She had alrady turned up the saturation all the way in the camera and still thought the colors were washed out. It was the contrast that fooled Shay and Andy who were only using their eyes. Baldy used the histogram and knew what was wrong, but just didn't bother to write a new L curve, something he probably does know how to do.

Would a calibrated monitor have helped in this case? I don't think so. Probably there are cases were it would. I personally find that something like the apple display calibration gets me very close and that the remaining distance is almost impossible to bridge (like the difference between the best stereo and live sound.)
    If not now, when?