Options

Color Correction as never before

manta1900manta1900 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited May 9, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi all, I just advanced my AutoWhiteBalance filter (8bf plug-in) into version 2. It color corrects your photos without changing the original exposure. You don't have to give any input since it does everything automaticly (not even search for grey areas in the photo). You can download it from Adobe Exchange site: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=1496020 To install it if you have Adobe PhotoShop you just copy it into filters subdirectory (e.g. c:\program files\adobe\photoshop cs2\plug-ins\filters\) and you restart PhotoShop. You will find the filter in the menu (Filter->AphtoPhoto).

Hope you like it... and maby donate my research.

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Any chance for a Mac version?
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    Any chance for a Mac version?

Actually there is no support from FilterMeister (the program that I use to create filters). In the future I plan to use another program which supports MAC (I hope soon).
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Why on earth would I try to "fix" this in Photoshop when 100% of my images begin life as Raw data, and I can render the correct color appearance from the get go?
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    Why on earth would I try to "fix" this in Photoshop when 100% of my images begin life as Raw data, and I can render the correct color appearance from the get go?

arodney,

Have you tried it? (it works for 16bit RGB also)
    If you are a master of white-balance then you propably don't need it. It's mostly for those that make mistakes on white-balancing or don't want to spend time on color-correction or for those that don't know how (or don't want).
    Please try it (your opinion will be very useful).
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    manta1900 wrote:
    arodney,
    Have you tried it? (it works for 16bit RGB also)

Why would I? I render the correct and desired color appearance from Lightroom. That's the point of my question. And further, why are users ending up in Photoshop with images that are not properly color balanced at least at a global level? Of course some people have workflows whereby the get from others, rendered images that need to be fixed. Clearly this would be useful for them. But lets talk about everyone else; those that have either Raw files or are scanning originals. Why not address the problems from the start?
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    Why would I? I render the correct and desired color appearance from Lightroom. That's the point of my question. And further, why are users ending up in Photoshop with images that are not properly color balanced at least at a global level? Of course some people have workflows whereby the get from others, rendered images that need to be fixed. Clearly this would be useful for them. But lets talk about everyone else; those that have either Raw files or are scanning originals. Why not address the problems from the start?

I agree with you. But... try "fixed" images with this filter and compare (and share with us if possible). If you have the same opinion then I will fully agree with you. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    manta1900 wrote:
    I agree with you. But... try "fixed" images with this filter and compare (and share with us if possible). If you have the same opinion then I will fully agree with you. thumb.gif

Without a Mac version, even testing it isn't in the cards.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    arodney wrote:

You wouldn't, Andrew ... and more than likely I wouldn't since I can almost "instinctively" color balance normally or in LabColor with PhotoShop. But I know a ton of people, and have had bunches of students, who have never mastered nor do they choose to master their copies of PhotoShop ... and several are still using version 6.

This is especially true with several of my students who surpass my six decades on this earth and are even having problems mastering the computer (shoot, they even say "Mac? What is that???") to aid in their new digital photography hobby.

This filter is for them ... and it will help them until they (hopefully) begin to see AND USE the power they already have in PhotoShop.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    My points are not to dismiss this particular product, it clearly has a group of users who could benefit from it. The point is asking an important general question that wasn't necessarily obvious a few years ago: When and what are the best practices, in terms of quality, control and speed in producing the best global color appearance? It used to be conducted, at least by those skilled in the art of scanning who instead of attempting to match the original, attempted to improve upon it. Today, with the abundance of images being captured using digital cameras (which initially are Raw data, not that everyone wants access to that data), why not render the image to produce the best possible color appearance?
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2008
    arodney wrote:

You wouldn't. You're using raw data.

Other people aren't and might find this useful.
  • Options
    redcrownredcrown Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    I kind of agree with Andrew, but I tried the plug in anyway since nobody seems to have posted an eval yet.

Sorry, don't think it's ready for prime time. Tried it on some landscapes, still lifes and portraits. Basically, it added yellow to everything. Kind of like a warming filter.

On portraits with skin tones already well balanced, it added a bunch of yellow. So I forced a yellow cast on one portait and then ran the plugin. It added even more yellow.

Finally, I used a MacBeth color checker image. First as is, then with various color casts added first. Results = yellow, yellow, yellow.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    You wouldn't. You're using raw data.

Other people aren't and might find this useful.

Haha. Tell those people there's a T-Rex over their shoulder and it's about to devour them. They're obviously strolling around in the Jurassic age eek7.gif
  • Options
    jclim00jclim00 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 5, 2008
    I'm honestly a little confused as to why color correction even makes it to post processing when you can just buy a grey card and correct on the spot. Ta da! Don't even need to shoot in raw for that...
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    jclim00 wrote:
    I'm honestly a little confused as to why color correction even makes it to post processing when you can just buy a grey card and correct on the spot. Ta da! Don't even need to shoot in raw for that...
    I use a grey card, but I still have to color correct in post. Even in natural lighting, I find that often there are multiple casts. Also, some of the colors aren't as "lush" as you'd like, greens particularly.

Then there are shots where you really don't want the neutrals being neutral, where you want the soft light of early morning or late afternoon to do its thing. In these cases, you can control the warmth in post.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Haha. Tell those people there's a T-Rex over their shoulder and it's about to devour them. They're obviously strolling around in the Jurassic age eek7.gif

A tool is a tool is a tool. If someone comes up with a new way of doing something, it's worth investigating it's usefulness, rather than dismissing it out of hand with snide responses.

There are still cameras and scanners out there that don't support raw formats or in-camera custom white balances. In addition, raw converters don't always nail wb precisely, see here for an example.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    A tool is a tool is a tool.

Yes, one can use a kitchen knife as a screwdriver. Not recommended.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    In addition, raw converters don't always nail wb precisely, see here for an example.

The flaw in your logic is here:
    It is important to remember that these images are presented as constructed from each RAW converter's default settings.

Then understanding that using Kelvin to define color is a pretty poor metric and should be dismissed as a target value of what is correct, since many DIFFERENT colors correlate to the same kelvin value. 5000K is a range of colors.
    ACR incorrectly selected 4600K for white balance

There's nothing correct nor incorrect other than you wanted a warmer skin tone.

And lastly, rendering is subjective. The right skin tone is the one you, the image creator prefer. The numbers are in that respect, meaningless. What IS a problem is when you bake a rendering into pixels, don't like it, then have to unbake that appearance using Photoshop, instead of rendering the skin tone (or other elements) as preferred from the scene referred Raw data from the get go.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    Yes, one can use a kitchen knife as a screwdriver. Not recommended.

Well, until the OP creates a version that can be tested on a Mac, I won't know whether he's invented a kitchen knife or a swiss-army knife. And neither can you, based on your previous post.

What would help this discussion would be an objective, intelligent analysis of this tool's strengths and weaknesses, rather than sniping at it from afar. So far only one person in this thread has actually made any attempt to evaluate this tool. (Thank you, redcrown.)
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2008
    Well, until the OP creates a version that can be tested on a Mac, I won't know whether he's invented a kitchen knife or a swiss-army knife. And neither can you, based on your previous post.

My comments are NOT directed solely at this product but tools and best practices in general.

There is however, no question in my mind that should a global color or tone issue need to be handled, it should be done long before the image is opened in Photoshop, by rendering (or scanning) the original. That's the best use of the tools we have today.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    redcrown wrote:
    I kind of agree with Andrew, but I tried the plug in anyway since nobody seems to have posted an eval yet.

Sorry, don't think it's ready for prime time. Tried it on some landscapes, still lifes and portraits. Basically, it added yellow to everything. Kind of like a warming filter.

On portraits with skin tones already well balanced, it added a bunch of yellow. So I forced a yellow cast on one portait and then ran the plugin. It added even more yellow.

Finally, I used a MacBeth color checker image. First as is, then with various color casts added first. Results = yellow, yellow, yellow.

Version 2.0 adds sunlight color to the images (5780K which is color if light in mid-noon). Version 1.0 is the same without the "yellow" color of the sun. I made this "correction" to the filter cause most of the times lighting is similar to sunlight... and not pure white. Download v1.0 instead.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    manta1900 wrote:
    Version 2.0 adds sunlight color to the images (5780K which is color if light in mid-noon). Version 1.0 is the same without the "yellow" color of the sun. I made this "correction" to the filter cause most of the times lighting is similar to sunlight... and not pure white. Download v1.0 instead.

This doesn't sound particularly practical unless all of your shots are in direct sunlight, unless I'm missing something.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    My comments are NOT directed solely at this product but tools and best practices in general.

There is however, no question in my mind that should a global color or tone issue need to be handled, it should be done long before the image is opened in Photoshop, by rendering (or scanning) the original. That's the best use of the tools we have today.

Now if you only had "people skills" to go along with your vast irrefutable knowledge of color management. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    manta1900 wrote:
    Hi all, I just advanced my AutoWhiteBalance filter (8bf plug-in) into version 2. It color corrects your photos without changing the original exposure. You don't have to give any input since it does everything automaticly (not even search for grey areas in the photo). You can download it from Adobe Exchange site: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=1496020 To install it if you have Adobe PhotoShop you just copy it into filters subdirectory (e.g. c:\program files\adobe\photoshop cs2\plug-ins\filters\) and you restart PhotoShop. You will find the filter in the menu (Filter->AphtoPhoto).

Hope you like it... and maby donate my research.

I have better tools for this job (iCorrect Editlab), but just for the hell of it I tried yours. I use Corel PhotoPaint and have other 8bf plugins (some developed with filter meister) that work fine. Yours made the program crash. End of story.:D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited May 7, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Now if you only had "people skills" to go along with your vast irrefutable knowledge of color management. rolleyes1.gif
    Ric,

Civility is still a virtue that is not only appreciated on dgrin, it is required for membershipthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:

That is the main idea. I don't want all this research to go in vain. That's why I am asking your opinion to make things better. I'm not narrow minded and I think that negative critisism from people that know photography better than me along with my skills can make a difference. I'm a computer programmer with photography as a hobby. I started making these filters for personal use. I will never stop sharing and trying to make them perfect with your help.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    I have better tools for this job (iCorrect Editlab), but just for the hell of it I tried yours. I use Corel PhotoPaint and have other 8bf plugins (some developed with filter meister) that work fine. Yours made the program crash. End of story.:D

Ric,

You are right it crashed on vista machines. I released version 2.1 of the filter (http://aphtophoto.50webs.com) which has vista support and an option to use sunlight color or not.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    manta1900 wrote:
    Ric,

You are right it crashed on vista machines. I released version 2.1 of the filter (http://aphtophoto.50webs.com) which has vista support and an option to use sunlight color or not.

Well...I hope you get it to work...because it would be usable for many. Not everyone is a pro that shoots exclusively in raw. I am one of them. Color management can be a pain when you don't understand it...I think I do. On the other hand, some don't care to know. They just want to take pictures...so you CAN help with your plugin.

I've tried developing in raw more than once and can easily see the advantage of doing so.

However; the other day while on a shoot when the moment of truth finally came, while camped out by a Great Blue Heron nest, I missed my best opportunities because I was shooting continuous and in raw. The buffered filled up and I had to wait. It's JPEG for me from now on.

Oh! BTW my machine was running XP pro with SP2.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Ric,

Civility is still a virtue that is not only appreciated on dgrin, it is required for membershipthumb.gif

And...now you have done exactly the same thing that I did.:D

Sometimes it's hard to bite the tongue.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Color management can be a pain when you don't understand it...I think I do. On the other hand, some don't care to know. They just want to take pictures...so you CAN help with your plugin.

I think you need more color management study! The plug-in has nothing to do with color management. You can run it, it might do an excellent job, if you don't have your color management act together, it will either look poor or output poorly.

Color management is simple, its number management. It tries, as best as the technology allows, to do some simple things: Make a pile of numbers on multiple users systems appear the same. Make a pile of numbers that do appear as you desire, appear that way when you output the numbers to some other media. All computers understand are big piles of numbers. The plug-in may produce the correct numbers, if you don't have your color management act together, it might look incorrect to you (based on the numbers) or output correctly (again, based on the numbers).
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    The plug-in has nothing to do with color management.

I never said it did. But, I can see how you got that idea with the sentences run together. Next time, I'll be careful where to start a

new paragraph.:D