Painting the town orange

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited May 4, 2008 in People
Queensday ( in Dutch 'Koninginnedag' ) is one of the most popular, if not the most popular, holidays in the Netherlands. It started as a celebration of queen Wilhelmina's birthday, then it became a celebration of queen Juliana's birthday ( April 30 ) and the current queen ( Beatrix ) has decided to keep queensday on April 30, instead of on her own birthday.

Different events are organized, but one of the more popular things to do is to go to a 'vrijmarkt' ( free-market ) where anyone is allowed to sell anything that they can find ( usually a lot of junk :D ). I live in one of the four big cities, which have huge vrijmarkten in the centre of town, but also smaller ones are organized, a lot of the times specifically for kids; They sell things, try to come up with games to make a few pennies, play music, games, fun, etc.

Most people wear something orange:
287478953_sWXm5-L.jpg

Kids anywhere, walking around or being walked around:
287479821_ASCdd-L.jpg

Eyeing the goods:
287482457_Rpw2B-L.jpg

Having to wait till they finish setting up the fun:
287479555_M3GBA-L.jpg

Throwing wet sponges:
287479132_WDKxy-L.jpg

I'm not sure but I think the boy just got the harmonica-toy, and jumped in with the girls who were a bit surprised :lol3
287480713_Sg7s5-L.jpg

And, of course, a real Dutch lion:
287479663_h8uma-L.jpg

These, and a few more, can also be found here. All processing done in Lightroom. It's one of my first real tries at more outdoorsy kind of photos, so comments and critique is much appreciated :thumb

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Wow, you really weren't kidding when you said the town was orange! :D

I'm so so glad you got to go out shooting. It looks like a ton of fun. I think your processing is great actually, particularly as it looks like it was a bright sunny day which can be hard with highlights.

I think my favorite photo is the third with the cool angle. When I was that age my mother put me in those garish color combinations, too! lol3.gif
  • bikingbetsbikingbets Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Ivar:
    Bedankt voor de foto's van Koninginnedag! I visited a friend in The Netherlands a few years ago and learned all about the dutch traditions...this has to be the greatest!!! Hup hup Holland!
    Groetjes,
    Betsy
    Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM , 580EX ll
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Wow, you really weren't kidding when you said the town was orange! :D

I'm so so glad you got to go out shooting. It looks like a ton of fun. I think your processing is great actually, particularly as it looks like it was a bright sunny day which can be hard with highlights.

I think my favorite photo is the third with the cool angle. When I was that age my mother put me in those garish color combinations, too! lol3.gif
    Yep, a lot of things turn orange that day :) It was a lot of fun actually, and thanks :D

The third one is one of my more favorite shots, also.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    bikingbets wrote:
    Ivar:
    Bedankt voor de foto's van Koninginnedag! I visited a friend in The Netherlands a few years ago and learned all about the dutch traditions...this has to be the greatest!!! Hup hup Holland!
    Groetjes,
    Betsy
    Graag gedaan :D This is one of the greatest days as far as holidays & traditions go, I have to agree thumb.gif