Upload log error message: "upload problem: wrong bytes received"

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited April 30, 2008 in SmugMug Support
In my upload log, I have a bunch of photos that generated an error upon upload that says:

upload problem: wrong bytes received

What does that mean? What could have caused it? The images don't seem to be corrupted because subsequent uploads of the same images worked fine.
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 30, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    In my upload log, I have a bunch of photos that generated an error upon upload that says:

upload problem: wrong bytes received

What does that mean? What could have caused it? The images don't seem to be corrupted because subsequent uploads of the same images worked fine.
    Ugh. It sounds like there was corruption of the files during transmission. I don't think it was due to the extreme levels of traffic we've been seeing lately, but if it was I apologize. My guess is it probably had more to do with the connection between us.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Ugh. It sounds like there was corruption of the files during transmission. I don't think it was due to the extreme levels of traffic we've been seeing lately, but if it was I apologize. My guess is it probably had more to do with the connection between us.

Since I posted this, I discovered that my ATT DSL has been having intermittent routing problems between my house and Smugmug. It doesn't seem to affect anything else on the internet I regularly use and when I capture it in a tracert, it seems to point to a dead route in the pacbell network (not a Smugmug issue). I have an ATT trouble ticket open on it (boy that's a fun process).

So, if this error would happen when a connection was dropped during the middle of an upload, then the ATT routing problem would explain it. I was uploading 400 photos last night and 10 didn't make it because of this problem. Fortunately Star Explorer nicely keeps just the 10 that didn't make it right in it's upload queue where I can just punch upload again and retry. BTW, retaining the unsuccessful uploads in a queue ready to be tried again is a very worthy feature if any of the Smugmug uploaders don't yet have it. I was uploading across 10 different galleries in one session.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question