Canon fixed my 70-300mm.. What a difference.

DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited May 4, 2008 in Cameras
I *finally* sent my 70-300mm to Canon for servicing that soft-focus issue they had in Portrait. Wow. What a difference! I'm very happy with it now :barb Of course, the 70-200 2.8L would be nicer, but... :)

They actually ended up doing my 50mm f/1.4 for free (calibrating/cleaning), and did my camera sensor for free too.

They would have done my 24-70mm f/2.8L also, but I didn't want to be without it for a week (and, since it's brand new, it shouldn't really need anything anyways).

Just wanted to post some well-deserved kudos to Canon for all the free work they did on totally out-of-warranty equipment!

David

Comments

• MicrocosmMicrocosm Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Sweet, have any before and after shots to show the difference?
    "Nothing is impossible, you are only limited by fear, and even that you can overcome." -Seth Morrison

• DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    I just got my 50 f/1.4 back today too. They said there was a loose part inside it, so they fixed it and re-calibrated it too. It was SO worth the drive down to Irvine :)

Here's some samples (sorry, nothing too exciting....) The first two are AFTER the fix:
    288078763_REtGn-L.jpg

288078646_tiJkQ-L.jpg

And, BEFORE the fix:
    275944183_QRSPX-L-1.jpg

It's hard to see, but, basically *every* photo I took in Portrait, at 300mm was soft focused. Now it's razor sharp. :) Very happy with the outcome (and it was FREE!!)

David
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Glad to hear you got it fixed! I must have gotten a trouble free copy of that lens. I've had mine for awhile and it has never caused me problems in portrait mode.
    edited May 1, 2008
    Definitely looks sharper, though it's hard to say for sure because the last one is at a game where people are moving etc. I'll take your word for it though haha. So if you drive to Canon they'll fix your lenses for free, or do you have a special deal?
    "Nothing is impossible, you are only limited by fear, and even that you can overcome." -Seth Morrison

edited May 1, 2008
    Microcosm wrote:
    Definitely looks sharper, though it's hard to say for sure because the last one is at a game where people are moving etc. I'll take your word for it though haha. So if you drive to Canon they'll fix your lenses for free, or do you have a special deal?
    You just have to ask nicely :)

Oh, and... The 70-300 was a known issue, so they replaced a lens element to fix it!

David
    edited May 4, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    You just have to ask nicely :)

Oh, and... The 70-300 was a known issue, so they replaced a lens element to fix it!

David
    Haha, nice. Maybe I'll go... someday when I can. I think mine should be okay because I bought it after the vertical issue was found.

edited May 4, 2008
    I'm actually wondering if the element they replaced it with was an L element.. It's really quite nice now! I still want the 70-200 f/2.8L (for the aperture and L glass throughout), but, the 70-300 is good for now :)

I need a new camera body before a 70-200 lens.

David