Charity photo help

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited April 18, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
I took this photo a while ago, actually for the "minimal" challenge. Then it occurred to me that the charity involved (the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) might like it so I offered it to them, and they actually do want to use it. Here's the shot I'm talking about:

17267520-M.jpg

My question is how do I structure this. I want to give them the rights to use it, but it's still my photo. Should I ask for photo credit anywhere it is used? Should I ask for a receipt for $x to use a tax deduction (gift to charity)? If so, what's standard, something like $200?

I have no clue about any of this. It may seem silly, but it is my creation and I want to do this properly. Any ideas?

Comments

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    [DISCLAIMER]I am Not a tax advisor nor an expert in tax law, as a matter of fact I am pretty ignorant in these matters.[\DISCLAIMER] headscratch.gif

I recently donated a print to a local charity for them to sell at a fund raising auction and I am claiming that much. I did not give them the rights to the image, just a framed matted print.

For donations of material goods to a charity I believe that you can claim up to the reasonable value of the item and you have to be able to justify the amount (justify, not prove) as long as it is under 5000$ thats right, 5000$. If it is 5000$ or more I believe an appraisal is required.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    Thanks for the info, Greaps. I doubt I'll be bumping up to the $5000 limit anytime soon! :lol

Anyone else have thoughts about this? Is asking for photo credit anywhere they use it overkill; I'm starting to think so. I have to answer them shortly about what I want to do.
  • GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    [DISCLAIMER]I am Not a tax advisor nor an expert in tax law, as a matter of fact I am pretty ignorant in these matters.[\DISCLAIMER] headscratch.gif

I recently donated a print to a local charity for them to sell at a fund raising auction and I am claiming that much. I did not give them the rights to the image, just a framed matted print.

For donations of material goods to a charity I believe that you can claim up to the reasonable value of the item and you have to be able to justify the amount (justify, not prove) as long as it is under 5000$ thats right, 5000$. If it is 5000$ or more I believe an appraisal is required.
    I also claim that disclaimer.

I read somewhere, not even sure what country it was for, canada or the usa, but it said something like when you donate something to a charity, you write off what it cost you. Say you give them a print that you paid $3 to print and would normally sell it for $50, you can only write it off for $3. But you could sell it to them for $50, and donate $50 to them and be able to write the $50 off. Also im not sure how honest this would be.

How would the charity be using this? If its used on thier website, on tv/commercials, posters/billboards, you could be loosing out on alot of money if you donate it to them.

Usually non profit organizations still pay thier staff, or at least the head people in it get paid. So why not you? And then donate some money towards them after? Theres many ways to go about this.

Perhaps you should find out how they are going to use it, and ask them to quote you on what they think would be a fair price. This way you will get an idea of what thier thinking.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Thanks for the thoughts, Gerry. I've already sent it off to them though, but I'll keep it in mind should this ever happen again.
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    http://www.irs.gov/publications/p561/ar02.html#d0e71

Doesn't look like cost only to me? I dunno for sure though, has anyone here been down this road of donated photo's? I shoot for the school reguarly and am not taking it, I think I need to look into this.

James.