Multiple image uploads possible?

MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited May 1, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've got a lot of images to upload from a softball tournament to various galleries. Can I have more than one upload going at a time? Can I do this from two computers?

The Main category is a Softball tournament. In it are two sub categories - 12u and 18u. Each subcategory will have at least 15 galleries (with hundreds of pics in each gallery).

I'm trying to cut down on the upload time so the clients will have something to look at, and hopefully buy. Should be several thousand photos when complete.

Thanks
Mike
Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
My Portfolio
MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    I've got a lot of images to upload from a softball tournament to various galleries. Can I have more than one upload going at a time? Can I do this from two computers?

The Main category is a Softball tournament. In it are two sub categories - 12u and 18u. Each subcategory will have at least 15 galleries (with hundreds of pics in each gallery).

I'm trying to cut down on the upload time so the clients will have something to look at, and hopefully buy. Should be several thousand photos when complete.

Thanks
    Mike

You can do multiple uploads from multiple computers. With some uploaders like the Java uploader, you can do multiple uploads from the same computer. Unless you have a really, really fast network connection, the total upload time will be constrained by the upload throughput of your network connection and will not go faster with multiple simultaneous uploads (in fact it might even go a little slower).

What I do when I have uploads across multiple galleries is I use a 3rd party uploader that lets me put all my image uploads across as many galleries as I want to into a queue and then I start the whole thing uploading before I got to bed and it uploads everything overnight across all the galleries. I use Star Explorer, though there may be others that can do this too. In fact, I just did one of these uploads last night for a track meet where I had organized the images into one gallery for each event and grade level. 500 images uploaded across 12 galleries overnight in one unattended session. If you frequently need to upload across multiple galleries, you may want to check out Star Explorer. The author hangs out in the API forum here at dgrin to answer questions.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Thanks jfriend.
    I appreciate it.
    Mike
    jfriend wrote:
    You can do multiple uploads from multiple computers. With some uploaders like the Java uploader, you can do multiple uploads from the same computer. Unless you have a really, really fast network connection, the total upload time will be constrained by the upload throughput of your network connection and will not go faster with multiple simultaneous uploads (in fact it might even go a little slower).

What I do when I have uploads across multiple galleries is I use a 3rd party uploader that lets me put all my image uploads across as many galleries as I want to into a queue and then I start the whole thing uploading before I got to bed and it uploads everything overnight across all the galleries. I use Star Explorer, though there may be others that can do this too. In fact, I just did one of these uploads last night for a track meet where I had organized the images into one gallery for each event and grade level. 500 images uploaded across 12 galleries overnight in one unattended session. If you frequently need to upload across multiple galleries, you may want to check out Star Explorer. The author hangs out in the API forum here at dgrin to answer questions.
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    John's right, you can do multi uploads from the Simple Uploader as well thumb.gif