Options

posing ideas for 3 sisters

allkindzaallkindza Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 2, 2008 in People
a good friend of mine's Middle daughter contacted me and wants to do a shot of her with her 2 sisters this weekend as a surprise for mothers day.

They are all very nice looking pretty girls, very outgoing and I've done the youngest who is a HS senior already so I am not really worried or uptight about the shoot but I have been looking for some creative ways to pose these gals and I am pulling my hair out. I go to Flickr and other formus and type in terms like "three girls" or "three sisters" "three people" and go through page after page of crap.

Can anyone post some examples of shots of 3 people, preferably all females or point me to some place where I might find some intrersting ideas. I am going to have them for a few hours SAT afternoon because they are really looking forward to it so I want to have plenty of ideas.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Any more, I absolutely abhor the "line 'em up and shoot 'em" poses - boring!

No pictures, but some ideas that have been stewing in my mind for some time:
    • Get their faces really close together and shoot a close shot of all three of them. To make it less static, take a couple of shots, then tell them to start making goofy faces (or something) shooting the entire time. When they seem to have hit a peak, ask them to try to settle down a bit and snap some more. These last ones are going to be the keepers.
    • Do they know how to play. Are they comfortable doing something you don't normally see adults doing? How about shooting at a park playground, swinging on swings. One could be on the swing (and actually swinging) and the others would be pushing. Or, I've seen playgrounds with forts of one kind or another. How about their faces appearing through the holes, either separately or together?
    • Walking down a path (away from the camera) under some trees, holding hands in a sisterly fashion. When ready, ask them to keep walking but to look over their shoulders at the camera. Of course, you're going to have to coach them through it before you start and do it a couple of times to get a keeper.
    • If they are more reserved, you can stagger them on a rock out-cropping, if you can water always adds to a photo.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    • Get their faces really close together and shoot a close shot of all three of them. To make it less static, take a couple of shots, then tell them to start making goofy faces (or something) shooting the entire time. When they seem to have hit a peak, ask them to try to settle down a bit and snap some more. These last ones are going to be the keepers.
    Those are all good, but this one is gold :D Thanks Scottthumb.gif
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    I don't feel qualified to give tips, but for what its worth, I have three children close to the same age. Not all girls, but the pose they came up with on their own is to stand staggered, with each posing to exhibit their individual personality. Example, son has his goofyness going on, one daughter has the great big happy smile, and the other has the happy, yet serious look. They refer to it as their "album cover" pose. As their mom I have always wanted to find the right outdoor setting and get a "keeper" of this for my wall.
    Jaye
  • Options
    qsjewlqsjewl Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Todd, I PMed you some examples of several pictures me and my sisters took awhile back. I hope those help!
  • Options
    len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Check out the last couple of shots in this series.
    Canon 5d mii, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 35mm 1.4L, 70-200mm IS L
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    len20 wrote:
    Check out the last couple of shots in this series.
    The next to last one - that's what I'm talkin' about! Nice!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Just a tip....

Even though your goal is to do a group set, be sure to get a few of each of the girls alone. I always make it a point to do this when I do groups, Even if I am working with a couple.

I agree with Scott on that next to last example. That's magic!!!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Really great ideas everyone...
    Here is an idea.... First the disclaimer... This pictures is so old and not one of my best to be sure (It was way before I was even shooting raw- and way before I ever even had a business license...) Anyhow, I like the idea of the pose, and will most likely try it again someday. These are 3 sisters, and I think it could work, especially with some better lighting and background...
    288127797_NGRtk-S.jpg Good luck!
  • Options
    AzuriteAzurite Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    3 sisters
    I feel a bit awkward sharing some photos I took of 3 sisters since my level of work is so amateur while your site displays some fantastic portraits. And reading the responses you received, you have some great input already. But your request was so specific that I wanted to respond too. I shot a playful group of 3 sisters; so we had a few of those then 1 traditional triangle pose (kinda boring). Not sure if this helps ne_nau.gifhttp://radiant-reflections.smugmug.com/gallery/4846556_L5Mmq#288571800_YbhBJ