Trying to reverse engineer this shot!

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited May 9, 2008 in Technique
I was browsing Wired today while I was at work and I came across a picture that was taken near where I live, and I'm trying to figure out what settings may have been used.

http://www.mackeydesigns.com/mackeydesigns-com-celica.jpg

I've tried shots like this before but I can't ever get them to have that crystal clear look that this one does. Anyone want to venture any ideas on what settings in the camera, what lens, and or any filters or PP that were used?

Thanks!

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    At first I thought it may have used some off camera flash from the left, but on closer inspection I doubt it. It appears to be just a long exposure using the streetlights, and ...at least in my opinion......shouldn't be that hard to duplicate. When you do yours...try to get it straight. This is tilted, but not enough to sell it as being purposely done.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    It may not be as tilted as you think it is. That bridge on Yesler Way in Seattle has a very defenite slope to it. The shot may be tilted by a couple of degrees judging from the streetlights, but that is actually a fiarly accurate representation of what that bridge actually looks like when you are on it.

I will have to try getting that same shot sometime! Anybody else have any ideas on settings, filters, PP?

Thanks!
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    saturation is overclocked too. agree: simple long exposure
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Long Expsoure shot.

And don't forget to use a tripod. mwink.gif
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    My first reaction was "star filter" to get the effect on the streetlights. This one was done on a tripod (or something to hold the camera still); I would guess the exposure time was at least in the order of 10 to 20 seconds - the tail and headlight streaks are long and smoothly blended together.

BTW, if there is a building in the middle of the picture, use it to rotate the image to correct position. This one needs to go clockwise a bit. Lightpoles are usually close, but sometimes get a lean with time (particularly when "nudged" by vehciles), but buildings only lean in Italy (old towersrolleyes1.gif ).
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    That "star effect" of the street lights is most likely attributable to a very stopped down lens - I believe, around here, it's known as the "Muench Star". Check out this thread for more on that.
  • mackeydesignsmackeydesigns Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 4, 2008
    Sup guys!

Well, I can thank wordpress for me finding this thread.

Anyways, to squash some of the rumors, yes, the picture was a long exposure. It was actually F/16 at 20 seconds. I really wanted everything in the picture to be vibrant in color. I didn't use any external light, just the natural street light and passing cars.

I also believe i used my polarizer filter as well, I can't be certain, it was awhile ago.

Anyways, thanks for all the comments and goodluck getting the same shot!

-josh
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,065 moderator
    edited May 9, 2008
    Sup guys!

Well, I can thank wordpress for me finding this thread.

Anyways, to squash some of the rumors, yes, the picture was a long exposure. It was actually F/16 at 20 seconds. I really wanted everything in the picture to be vibrant in color. I didn't use any external light, just the natural street light and passing cars.

I also believe i used my polarizer filter as well, I can't be certain, it was awhile ago.

Anyways, thanks for all the comments and goodluck getting the same shot!

-josh

Josh, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for sharing your setup and shooting information.

Nice shot and interesting effect. thumb.gif

I do hope people take some time to look at your site and especially this related article:

http://www.mackeydesigns.com/general/wip-cl600/#more-802
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mackeydesignsmackeydesigns Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Josh, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for sharing your setup and shooting information.

Nice shot and interesting effect. thumb.gif

I do hope people take some time to look at your site and especially this related article:

http://www.mackeydesigns.com/general/wip-cl600/#more-802