A paper wasp....or two??

MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited May 2, 2008 in Holy Macro
I was very quick in taking this photo - the last thing I need is to be stung by one of these guys!

288183551_M63hC-L.jpg

As alway C&C most welcome - it's how one improves!!

MichelleL
Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
http://legg.smugmug.com/

Comments

• JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    nice shot Michelle. I would find another angle to try and make the actual wasp stand out a bit more. I didnt see it straight away. It blends in a bit with the dark background.
    Keep 'em coming
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Great image. I agree with Jet
    Jet wrote:
    nice shot Michelle. I would find another angle to try and make the actual wasp stand out a bit more. I didnt see it straight away. It blends in a bit with the dark background.
    Keep 'em coming

Very sharp image. Are you allergic to them? I am allergic to honey bee's but have not been stung sence I was a kid. I understand the "quickness" of the shot though, don't want to get stung.

I this cropped at all. It looks to have very sharp detail, would like to see what a cropped version would look like. MM
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    MichelleL wrote:
    I was very quick in taking this photo - the last thing I need is to be stung by one of these guys!
    As alway C&C most welcome - it's how one improves!!

MichelleL

I've been stung by ONE Wasp, multiple times as it was caught up in my clothing....... man was my hip in a mess by the time I figured out that was not a piece of dry grass that was prickling me, but a Wasp! eek7.gif

I can see it has a nice pattern across it's eye, I can understand you not wanting to get stung.

Thanks for sharing Michelle thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Nicely done! Sharp enough you must have managed steady hands somehow!

I don't know anything about australian wasp species, but this one doesn't have the bright yellow colouring I'd expect of a super agressive species, still, even songbirds can get nasty around their nest, I wouldn't want to find out too late that I'd crossed the line!

As for stings, I think I was at 20 or so by the end of last summer, funny thing, I was starting to notice the wasps less and less (though I still wouldn't reccomend it mwink.gif), and then a hornet straightened me right out...

As skippy has said, the great thing here is you've gotten close enough to notice how beautiful the eyes are, which is something I don't think many people can manage clap.gifclap

Also as has been said you should see how a crop works, personally I think I need a teleconverter or two before I'll be getting much magnification with these guys rolleyes1.gif
  • MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Jet wrote:
    Keep 'em coming

Thanks Jet - I actually snuck up underneath this insect. To get to where it was I was already treading on the garden bed in the cactus section so I wanted to be quick for two reasons - that and their sting is quite painful (got stung once before helping Hubbies grandmother in the garden eek7.gif ) They are the same colours as their nest - they blend in beautifully!

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
    MichelleL

michellelegg.com
    edited May 2, 2008
    Very sharp image. Are you allergic to them? I am allergic to honey bee's but have not been stung sence I was a kid. I understand the "quickness" of the shot though, don't want to get stung.

I this cropped at all. It looks to have very sharp detail, would like to see what a cropped version would look like. MM

Hey MM - Don't know about allergic - but it is quite a painful sting they give you and I find that after a few weeks it's so itchy it just about drives me crazy!

This picture isn't cropped at all - all of my macro work has sharp detail to it (I do this via the camera setting). I didn't really play around with the picture in pp at all, but you have inspired me to try a few ideas.

Thanks for your comment.
    MichelleL

michellelegg.com
    edited May 2, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    I've been stung by ONE Wasp, multiple times as it was caught up in my clothing....... man was my hip in a mess by the time I figured out that was not a piece of dry grass that was prickling me, but a Wasp! eek7.gif

I can see it has a nice pattern across it's eye, I can understand you not wanting to get stung.

Thanks for sharing Michelle thumb.gif .... Skippy :D

I feel your pain - that would have hurt.

I know where they 'live' so I might go back and have another go at capturing their picture - but it'll have to be early in the morning when they are a tad on the sluggish side. :D

Thanks for commenting Skippy
    MichelleL

michellelegg.com
    edited May 2, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    Nicely done! Sharp enough you must have managed steady hands somehow!

I don't know anything about australian wasp species, but this one doesn't have the bright yellow colouring I'd expect of a super agressive species, still, even songbirds can get nasty around their nest, I wouldn't want to find out too late that I'd crossed the line!

As for stings, I think I was at 20 or so by the end of last summer, funny thing, I was starting to notice the wasps less and less (though I still wouldn't reccomend it mwink.gif), and then a hornet straightened me right out...

As skippy has said, the great thing here is you've gotten close enough to notice how beautiful the eyes are, which is something I don't think many people can manage clap.gifclap

Also as has been said you should see how a crop works, personally I think I need a teleconverter or two before I'll be getting much magnification with these guys rolleyes1.gif

Hey Robinivich - lots of practice has given me steadier hands than when I first started and I've found having the twin flash set on the macro lens has enabled me to have the f setting at 11 to get greater detail etc.

The only reason I know they sting is that I've been stung :cry so I didn't mess around taking their picture (plus I was on the garden bed at the gardens).

I'm going to follow the advice of a crop and see how it turns out.

Thanks for the comments
    MichelleL

michellelegg.com