Options

Jet photoshoot

davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
edited May 8, 2008 in Technique
I've done portraits, stills, family shots and estate shots-- but never have I had the chance to have a photo shoot with a Gulf stream 550.

So I'm querying the forum to see if anyone else has done jet photos for the purpose of advertisements and marketing. As is, the jet would be parked (on the ground) near or in a hangar. Any tips or ideas? If it is in a hangar, then I'll likely arrange a lift so as to have the ability to get the jet from all sorts of angles.

There is a chance they'll want air-to-air shots, too...

So has anyone else done this before? Anything special I should do or watch for, or shall I treat it like any other subject?

All that shiny metal and glossy paint...mmmmmm.... don't even get me started on the fan blades!!! :clap This should prove to be a very fun shoot!

Comments

• Options
    luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    I think your last sentence is the answer to your question. Have fun with it. If it's your toy to do with what you wish, then I would do shots like these...

On ground,

*Standard 'safe' shots like front on but off to a side looking down the length (shoot with entry door open and closed).
    *Be careful with reflections off of the cockpit windows.
    *Lots of dynamic close up shots of parts...like the fans. Take a ladder to stand on to get some elevated angles, or since you'll be at an airfield you might find some maint. stands or boarding stairs you can use.
    *Shoot wide angle and zoom.
    *Shoot inside as well if the lighting is good.
    *Shoot the aircraft model name painted on the skin 'Gulfstream ...'

Just go crazy and shoot everything and every way you can afford to, as if you'll never get to shoot one ever again

For air to air use a zoom lens (obviously), and have comms with the pilots so you can get them to fly how you want so you can shoot the angles you want. Depending on the camera plane will depend on what you will get. If you are in another gulfstream or similar that has small windows then your view and types of photos will be limited.
    Get them to close in, and use a zoom to try and shoot the front of the jet and include the pilot in the shot.
    Get them to bank away hard so you can shoot the underside.
    Watch your exposures and also try to fly over somewhere interesting or dramatic (roofs of houses aren't exciting), you want beaches/landscapes etc.

Have fun, shoot lots is the best advice. Have a look at websites like airliners.net and see other peoples shots of the same aircraft.
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Looks like Luckydog gave you some good advice. I shoot a lot of aviation subjects, although not for publication, I have have done some static ramp shots (day and night) - check my site below for some examples. I also know someone who does aviation photography for a living, shoots lots of biz jets for clients. He has some shots on JetPhotos.net - some samples of his work is here: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=26880

The most important advice I can give you for an air-to-air shoot is to make sure everything is well briefed before you get in the airplane. Everyone should know what shots you want, where the aircraft should be positioned, and who will be doing what maneuvering. Flight time on a jet like that is too expensive to leave to chance, and you don't want to do anything that will compromise safety!
  • Options
    DesignsmithDesignsmith Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Try looking up Paul Bowen (http://www.airtoair.net/) and Mike Fizer or other aviation photographers. Those two guys alone have tons of experience and plenty to teach us. Just looking at their work is a big help and inspiration.
    DS

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
    -Marcel Proust

Sony A100: Dician VG-1 grip: Made Products Camera Armor: Sony 18-70 f3.5-5.6: Minolta 50 f1.7: Minolta 28-80 f3.5-5.6: Minolta 7-210 f4: Sigma 70-300DL f4-5.6:
    Cambron 2x converter: Minolta 3500xi: SanDisk Ultra II 2GB x6: Lexar Pro 8GB x3: Cokin filter system: PSP X2:
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    luckydog wrote:
    I think your last sentence is the answer to your question. Have fun with it. If it's your toy to do with what you wish, then I would do shots like these...

On ground,

*Standard 'safe' shots like front on but off to a side looking down the length (shoot with entry door open and closed).
    *Be careful with reflections off of the cockpit windows.
    *Lots of dynamic close up shots of parts...like the fans. Take a ladder to stand on to get some elevated angles, or since you'll be at an airfield you might find some maint. stands or boarding stairs you can use.
    *Shoot wide angle and zoom.
    *Shoot inside as well if the lighting is good.
    *Shoot the aircraft model name painted on the skin 'Gulfstream ...'

Just go crazy and shoot everything and every way you can afford to, as if you'll never get to shoot one ever again

For air to air use a zoom lens (obviously), and have comms with the pilots so you can get them to fly how you want so you can shoot the angles you want. Depending on the camera plane will depend on what you will get. If you are in another gulfstream or similar that has small windows then your view and types of photos will be limited.
    Get them to close in, and use a zoom to try and shoot the front of the jet and include the pilot in the shot.
    Get them to bank away hard so you can shoot the underside.
    Watch your exposures and also try to fly over somewhere interesting or dramatic (roofs of houses aren't exciting), you want beaches/landscapes etc.

Have fun, shoot lots is the best advice. Have a look at websites like airliners.net and see other peoples shots of the same aircraft.

And brief any air to air THOROUGHLY before you fly.