Category settings

martydallasmartydallas Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited May 3, 2008 in SmugMug Support
This is my first posting so I apologize if it's in the wrong location. I've done some search on this forum and quite a bit on the smugmug site and cannot seem to locate what I'm looking for.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
I'm wanting to secure an entire category. I have figured out how to secure a gallery but I want to secure my family category. Such as I have in my family category a gallery named 08 new years, 07 Christmas, Betty's birthday and so on. As with the galleries being unlisted I'm able to send family members the link to that gallery and they can see it. I would like to be able to send a link to the unlisted category to my family members and they can see all the galleries inside that category. But in general those categories do not show up within my smugmug site like the galleries don't show up when marked unlisted.
<o:p> </o:p>
Can anyone help me figure this out direct me to the correct settings?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Hi Marty wave.gif welcome

So the way to do it is to make all those galleries have the same password, then anyone who visits one, will be cookied for the others.

The easier way is to also create a Sharegroup of those galleries. Here's how:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/share-groups
  • martydallasmartydallas Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2008
    Hmmmm, I don't have a password now. Really don't want to put in a password When from what I have seen so far is when I use Unlisted as part of the Gallary it is just that, not in the list of any of my groups or categorys. was wanting to treet the cattegory the same way.

My mother and other older people that don't use the computer all that much, the link works best. with my understanding of using the password. They will have to click on the link then enter a password HMMMMmm. not good for eazy to use.

Really like the unlisted.

Andy wrote:
    Hi Marty wave.gif welcome

So the way to do it is to make all those galleries have the same password, then anyone who visits one, will be cookied for the others.

The easier way is to also create a Sharegroup of those galleries. Here's how:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/share-groups
    edited May 3, 2008
    Hmmmm, so I take it that there is not a way sence NO has replyed?????

Please indicated that there is a way or say Laughing.gif your out of luck for now! so I can stop looking.

I just would rather not put a password on things, if someone comes accross them that is ok, if they want to spend that much time trying to figurout the URL. I just would rather not have everyone in the world plunder thur my family photots :)
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Hmmmm, so I take it that there is not a way sence NO has replyed?????

Please indicated that there is a way or say Laughing.gif your out of luck for now! so I can stop looking.

I just would rather not put a password on things, if someone comes accross them that is ok, if they want to spend that much time trying to figurout the URL. I just would rather not have everyone in the world plunder thur my family photots :)

Categories will not show unlisted galleries to anyone other than you. That's just the way it works today. There's no work-around that I'm aware of.

Andy did give you a solution. You can take each of the unlisted galleries you have in your category and assign them to the sharegroup and send the link to that sharegroup. The sharegroup has a private link (not easily guessable, so it honors the unlisted aspects of your galleries) and will work just like a category (showing all the galleries in it) to anyone who you send the link to. This sounds like it solves your problem and it's only a few minutes of your work to create. If you don't think it works for you and want more help, please explain why it doesn't meet your needs.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited May 3, 2008
    :) thank you, Andy did make comment abouut the Sharedgoupe I will take a look at that again. I really like and understand the unlisted and was hoping I was just missing something :)

Thanks again for the help, just don't want a password but will look at the sharegroup

jfriend wrote:
    Categories will not show unlisted galleries to anyone other than you. That's just the way it works today. There's no work-around that I'm aware of.

Andy did give you a solution. You can take each of the unlisted galleries you have in your category and assign them to the sharegroup and send the link to that sharegroup. The sharegroup has a private link (not easily guessable, so it honors the unlisted aspects of your galleries) and will work just like a category (showing all the galleries in it) to anyone who you send the link to. This sounds like it solves your problem and it's only a few minutes of your work to create. If you don't think it works for you and want more help, please explain why it doesn't meet your needs.