Last night in a feild by work

teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited May 4, 2008 in Holy Macro
Two nights ago I got a little frustrated with my flash… so last night I went out and tried (advice from a fellow dgrinner on one of my posts) bumping up the ISO and using more natural light.

I don’t know how Lord V (and others) gets his lighting so nice.
His tutorials are very helpful… but I am just not getting it my flash work is either to dark or to hot. I am using a Lord V diffuser with a cotton hanky doubled up plus the plastic diffuser that came with my SB400. Last night after dark I used my truck lights to help me find stuff to focus on. Found a very cool fire ant mound lay down next to it with my D200, 105mm @ f16 ISO 400 EV-2/6 with Flash, got bit a bunch of times…. Only to find out when I got home all of the images had multi flash spots on them!

Abstract??? Dark out my LED head lamp lighting these two

288267901_obEjT-L.jpg

Say Cheese

288266690_99xxr-L.jpg

I think (?) this is an immature one of these (see below)

288267456_XfC58-L.jpg

228827465_ub2Xh-L.jpg

Last one!

288267314_5p8Kp-L.jpg
“I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
— Lord Byron

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Two nights ago I got a little frustrated with my flash… so last night I went out and tried (advice from a fellow dgrinner on one of my posts) bumping up the ISO and using more natural light.

I don’t know how Lord V (and others) gets his lighting so nice.
    His tutorials are very helpful… but I am just not getting it my flash work is either to dark or to hot. I am using a Lord V diffuser with a cotton hanky doubled up plus the plastic diffuser that came with my SB400. Last night after dark I used my truck lights to help me find stuff to focus on. Found a very cool fire ant mound lay down next to it with my D200, 105mm @ f16 ISO 400 EV-2/6 with Flash, got bit a bunch of times…. Only to find out when I got home all of the images had multi flash spots on them!

Abstract??? Dark out my LED head lamp lighting these two
    Say Cheese
    I think (?) this is an immature one of these (see below)
    Last one!

Try this F11 + ISO 200 + Speed 200 + Flash and try only adjusting the power of the flash just for a test okay.

Set everything to MANUAL to get those setting.

You sure do have mixed results with what your doing,
    and I'm not sure why, I can only suggest that if your using AUTO don't.

You got pretty good light on the second shot.
    First one looks like the flash didn't fire???

I hope you can figure out the settings that work for you,
    I know how frustrating it can be, when I first starting shooting MACRO
    I couldn't use a flash, had no clue.

Don't give up thumb.gif ... I like your smiling Dragon Fly clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Well, I for one love the effect of the LED flashlight on the grasshoppers, it might be a tiny bit too dark, but a wonderful effect! My favourite by a long shot!
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Thanks Skippy!
    Great advice, if its not raining in the morning I will give it a try. Also I think I am going to buy a roll of paper towels. I am using a cotton hanky folded over twice, I think it is not defusing the light properly.

Hey I have not seen any new images from you in a while. Every OK? MM

Skippy wrote:
    Try this F11 + ISO 200 + Speed 200 + Flash and try only adjusting the power of the flash just for a test okay.

Set everything to MANUAL to get those setting.

You sure do have mixed results with what your doing,
    and I'm not sure why, I can only suggest that if your using AUTO don't.

You got pretty good light on the second shot.
    First one looks like the flash didn't fire???

I hope you can figure out the settings that work for you,
    I know how frustrating it can be, when I first starting shooting MACRO
    I couldn't use a flash, had no clue.

Don't give up thumb.gif ... I like your smiling Dragon Fly clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    — Lord Byron
    edited May 3, 2008
    Thank you I like it also!
    Robinivich wrote:
    Well, I for one love the effect of the LED flashlight on the grasshoppers, it might be a tiny bit too dark, but a wonderful effect! My favourite by a long shot!

I got lucky with with the amount of detail showing considering how under exposed it is. MM
    — Lord Byron
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    I've never tried night shooting but the light on these looks pretty good.
    Try the settings Skippy mentioned.
    I just use a sheet of kitchen paper towel for my diffusers and nothing else on the front of the coke can things. Are you using some sort of conical device on the front of the flash so that the diffuser area is faily large and at least and inch or two on front of the face of the flash ?
    Diffusers won't get rid of hot spots but they should make them less hot.

Brian V.
    edited May 4, 2008
    I've never tried night shooting but the light on these looks pretty good.
    Try the settings Skippy mentioned.
    I just use a sheet of kitchen paper towel for my diffusers and nothing else on the front of the coke can things. Are you using some sort of conical device on the front of the flash so that the diffuser area is faily large and at least and inch or two on front of the face of the flash ?
    Diffusers won't get rid of hot spots but they should make them less hot.

Brian V.

Brian, this is the set up I am using. the diffuser is corrugated white plastic covered with black tape. Sometimes I will add the little plastic diffuser that came with my flash. Here is a picture of the rig and a picture of the "hot spots" I and getting some times. Does it matters that my diffuser is not round? MM

289321788_Lfutu-L.jpg

All of these ants have the "hot spots" on them. MM
    288268386_NmSTn-L.jpg
    — Lord Byron