Local Camera store "Close Up" photography contest

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited May 3, 2008 in Holy Macro
My local camera store is holding a close up (not really macro) photography contest this month, so I thought I would put in something a little different. I haven't done one of these refractions in quite a while, and since it's rainy today, opportunity presents itself. Please provide C&C on this photo. I'm interested in feedback.

2460303246_11454b759f_b.jpg
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Looks good to me and most people tend to like these unlike bug shots.
    One point is there is some background blotching from the stacking programme in several places. You can get rid of this by using the healing brush in PS from one of the originals onto the stacked shot.

Brian V.
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Looks good to me and most people tend to like these unlike bug shots.
    One point is there is some background blotching from the stacking programme in several places. You can get rid of this by using the healing brush in PS from one of the originals onto the stacked shot.

Brian V.

Brian, hate to look like a novice again, but could you explain how to do it. Thanks.
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Great shot. I really like it. I wanted to do the same exact thing for the "close-up" photo contest at my local store. I couldn't get anything to come out right for that, but turned something else in and won anyway mwink.gif

Brian said to use the heal brush, I think since it is a blurry background you could also use a large soft blur took in PS (or whatever) to fix up the background.

Good luck on the contest thumb.gif

P.S. I've found camera stores seem to like photos with camera stuff/film/etc in it, so maybe instead of a flower you could put a camera behind for the focus point in the drops? Just an idea.
    ~ Lisa
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    garyt wrote:
    Brian, hate to look like a novice again, but could you explain how to do it. Thanks.
    Assuming you are used to using the healing brush for example to remove sensor dust spots, You do the same thing except you have two pics on thescreen in PS Alt- left mouse click on the same bit of background in the donor single pic and then left click on the same spot in thestacked shot and just paint away until yoiu have painted over the blotches.
    Hope that makes sense.

Brian V.
    edited May 2, 2008
    Assuming you are used to using the healing brush for example to remove sensor dust spots, You do the same thing except you have two pics on thescreen in PS Alt- left mouse click on the same bit of background in the donor single pic and then left click on the same spot in thestacked shot and just paint away until yoiu have painted over the blotches.
    Hope that makes sense.

Brian V.

Thanks so much. I got it going. Will expeeriment a tad more. Doesn't seem to difficult.
    Gary
    edited May 2, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Great shot. I really like it. I wanted to do the same exact thing for the "close-up" photo contest at my local store. I couldn't get anything to come out right for that, but turned something else in and won anyway mwink.gif

Brian said to use the heal brush, I think since it is a blurry background you could also use a large soft blur took in PS (or whatever) to fix up the background.

Good luck on the contest thumb.gif

P.S. I've found camera stores seem to like photos with camera stuff/film/etc in it, so maybe instead of a flower you could put a camera behind for the focus point in the drops? Just an idea.

Darkdragon--thanks for the comments and the alternative method. I'll give it a go.
    Gary
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Really love this shot. The trick Brian suggested is something I too was not aware of. I'm anxious to see how you make out with that. Gotta look through my archives for something to try it on.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    garyt wrote:
    My local camera store is holding a close up (not really macro) photography contest this month, so I thought I would put in something a little different. I haven't done one of these refractions in quite a while, and since it's rainy today, opportunity presents itself. Please provide C&C on this photo. I'm interested in feedback.

Good luck with the competition Gary, I like the shot.
    Nice of Brian to help you with the editing problem.

All the Best thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin