behind the plate

morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
edited April 5, 2005 in Sports
I would like your input on this photo shot today 4-4-05, I know it prob would have been better with the batter but with the way she was crouched I felt it was better this way.
Thank you - Bob
F/9.0
ISO 800
400mm
ex. time .002 1/500

18949864-L.jpg

Comments

• JubbaKingJubbaKing Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    Morris, yes, the stance is very nice. I am bothered by a few things though. 1- no ball 2- f9? Why did you shoot at f9? Next time I'd suggest openning your aperture all the way or one stop down from open. The background is very busy and is best to be blurry. :)
    Nate Grant: Living Legend
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    I would like your input on this photo shot today 4-4-05, I know it prob would have been better with the batter but with the way she was crouched I felt it was better this way.
    Thank you - Bob
    F/9.0
    ISO 800
    400mm
    ex. time .002 1/500

18949864-L.jpg
    I like the framing of this shot just fine. Of course, if you could have caught the ball just hitting the glove.... I would suggest you consider opening up the aperture some to blur out the background a little more on shots like these. I'm not sure if this was possible with your setup or not. You could give it a go in post with some guassian blur of the background. Thanks for sharing.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    that is one thing that I forgot about, but I still have a long season to go. thanks for your comments
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    Needs another story element in my opinion. It would be great if you could get the ball hitting the glove. I'd also like to see shallower DOF. Distracting background IMO. I ususally oppen up the lens all the way for this kind of shot because the background is almost always distracting and the extra shutter speed is almost always a plus.

5110828-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 5, 2005
    The composition is nice. But as others have said, no ball makes for a less
    interesting shot.

Very often, backgrounds are distracting, Try shooting in aperture
    priority--wide open to help isolate the player and get rid of the fence.

Can you tell us a bit about what you're shooting with?

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 5, 2005
    I agree with the previous posters. Nice sharp shot with decent composition, but missing a few things (like the ball, or a batter, or even an ump peering over her shoulder) that would have added to it's interest. I also agree about opening up the aperture.

Still, it's a really nice shot (I'm sure the catcher's parents would buy it mwink.gif ) and as you point out, it's a longggggggg season thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    As I looked back thru the other shots of her I noticed the same problem in every one with the ball. She closed her eyes and it wasn't what I was looking for. Also I was going between baseball and softball to try and get some of each, here is one from the baseball game. I do know that is lacking the ball but I went for this style because it is actualy my dentist son.:D

f/11
    iso 800
    400mm
    ex. .001 1/100018959394-L-2.jpg
  • bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    No reason to shoot at ISO 800 either, especially with the aperture wide open as others have suggested.
    edited April 5, 2005
    currently I am shooting with a canon dig. reb. with a Phoenix 100-400mm 1:4.5-6.7 AF zoom I do have more lenses that I take along with me to the events but this lense gives me the reach that I am after in order to get the shots. I dont know what your view on this lense is but until I can get enough green around it is one that I have to work with. Me personaly I think it takes nice outdoor photos but it sucks as an indoor lense. thank you - Bob.
    ian408 wrote:
    The composition is nice. But as others have said, no ball makes for a less
    interesting shot.

Very often, backgrounds are distracting, Try shooting in aperture
    priority--wide open to help isolate the player and get rid of the fence.

Can you tell us a bit about what you're shooting with?

ian
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 5, 2005
    currently I am shooting with a canon dig. reb. with a Phoenix 100-400mm 1:4.5-6.7 AF zoom I do have more lenses that I take along with me to the events but this lense gives me the reach that I am after in order to get the shots. I dont know what your view on this lense is but until I can get enough green around it is one that I have to work with. Me personaly I think it takes nice outdoor photos but it sucks as an indoor lense. thank you - Bob.
    The composition is good and the reach of the lens helps you get there.
    Just open it up and I bet you'll get some dynamite shots.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?