smugmug selling photos

rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
edited May 4, 2008 in SmugMug Support
So I guess I don't understand. Can SmugMug sell my photos and make profit off of them? I see the "Buy this picture" button on my photo page so it would appear to me as though they can claim them as their own...Am I understanding this correctly?

Comments

• rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    I read the terms just now and it says they don't claim them as their own. So who gets the money when a picture is sold?
  • belinebeline Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    You do.

They buy them from you.
    Covering It at D:D
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
    External Slide Show Support
    Black/White and Sepia Color Options
    Photo/Discount Packages/Coupons
    Electronic Payout for Pro accounts via PayPal
    Self-Fulfilment (Custom "Items")
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited May 3, 2008
    rsparts wrote:
    I read the terms just now and it says they don't claim them as their own. So who gets the money when a picture is sold?
    Your photos belong to you, not to SmugMug.

If you have professional level account, you set the prices, and you get 85% of the markup over the base prices. Details at http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-pricing.

If you don't have a professional account then you are not paid if someone chooses to buy any of your photos. If you don't want your photos available for sale then you can set your galleries so no one can order prints. See http://www.smugmug.com/help/protecting-images.

--- Denise
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    If you do NOT have a Pro account, then your Smugmug is just like an account at Kodak Easyphoto, or Snapfish or even Walmart Photo. Buy the photos you like, and you pay for them. The photo isn't 'sold' it is printed. No one profits from your photos, but the photo processors profit from printing them (perhaps Smugmug a bit too I would guess)

If you don't want others buying your photos, you can either turn off the Buy Photos, or password protect your gallery.

If you have a Pro account, then you can set the price to be whatever you want it to be, and you keep 85% of the profit above the printing costs. In this case, it is more 'sold' than just printed.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    rsparts wrote:
    So I guess I don't understand. Can SmugMug sell my photos and make profit off of them? I see the "Buy this picture" button on my photo page so it would appear to me as though they can claim them as their own...Am I understanding this correctly?
    We don't sell your photos, you do that. Does this help? You have the choice, at all levels of account, to turn printing on or off. At the pro level, you can price your work at a profit, and be paid for that profit.
  • rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We don't sell your photos, you do that. Does this help? You have the choice, at all levels of account, to turn printing on or off. At the pro level, you can price your work at a profit, and be paid for that profit.

understood. thanks for clarifying