The last day of my photography course

SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
edited May 9, 2008 in People
We did a 'location' session - which was great fun. These are my best ones (I think). All comments gratefully received!

288782116_MHeea-L-1.jpg

#2 The background is a reflection on an office window.
288782804_rmwzP-L.jpg

288785133_taxZg-L.jpg

288785953_xUxcr-L.jpg

288787501_XUndZ-L.jpg

288788509_myize-L.jpg

288789064_BKq2a-L.jpg

288790257_n7gof-L.jpg

288791062_VATSa-L.jpg

288792421_DDWKm-L.jpg

288797067_qyv3Q-L.jpg

288798176_sbsSV-L.jpg

#13 This is my bike.
288798941_gyono-L.jpg

288799594_bTvm2-L.jpg

288801422_SPBjH-L.jpg
John

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    My god thier twins! Great series!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    All are nice, however, some of them need white balance check, may be bump up some saturation and contrast. Eyes could use some sharpenning. Overall, love the composition on most of the shots.
    Well done! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    iloveyou.gif I'm such a sucker for green eyes! clap.gifthumb.gif

Other than that, what Shepsmom said. Great shots!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Nicely done! I love Aussie women.. rolleyes1.gif

Few things that could use some attention, since you were using very shallow DOF, watch out to be using something so shallow that only a portion of your subject's face will be on focus. Also, I liked the way you shot from the hip down perspective, but you should carry a small little portable chair/box so you can shoot at an elevated position as well, to mix things up.

Framing looks good, thats cool the way you used a flection as a bg for #2.

Gorgeous girls, hot bikes, man, I should be chillin' over there with you buddy! Hahah..
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    All are nice, however, some of them need white balance check, may be bump up some saturation and contrast. Eyes could use some sharpenning. Overall, love the composition on most of the shots.
    Well done! thumb.gif

Thanks - I'll give that a try.
    John
    edited May 3, 2008
    mr peas wrote:
    Nicely done! I love Aussie women.. rolleyes1.gif

Few things that could use some attention, since you were using very shallow DOF, watch out to be using something so shallow that only a portion of your subject's face will be on focus. Also, I liked the way you shot from the hip down perspective, but you should carry a small little portable chair/box so you can shoot at an elevated position as well, to mix things up.

Framing looks good, thats cool the way you used a flection as a bg for #2.

Gorgeous girls, hot bikes, man, I should be chillin' over there with you buddy! Hahah..

Come on down! :)

I'll remember the chair/box tip. It must be better than lying down amongst the cigarette buts, gum, and dried urine to get the shot!
    John
  • hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Gorgeous shots, and I WANT that grey dress. :D
  • emeraldenglandemeraldengland Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    These look nice :) I ditto watching the narrow DOF on faces, though I'm guilty of the same.

One thing as a former model turned photographer-- inner thighs are a major no no. Considered the least attractive part of the body unless it's in profile :)

Congrats on finishing your course.

www.emeraldengland.com
    edited May 4, 2008
    These look nice :) I ditto watching the narrow DOF on faces, though I'm guilty of the same.

One thing as a former model turned photographer-- inner thighs are a major no no. Considered the least attractive part of the body unless it's in profile :)

Congrats on finishing your course.

www.emeraldengland.com

Yes... I must watch that DOF.

Which pic do think is the worst for the inner thigh problem? #13?
    John
  • emeraldenglandemeraldengland Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Sventekoz wrote:
    Yes... I must watch that DOF.

Which pic do think is the worst for the inner thigh problem? #13?

#3, actually :)
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    What is the main thing you feel you have learned from the course? Watch your WB, limbs, and DOF. Interesting angles. Unfortunately, the general public is not so photogenic. :(
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    iloveyou.gif I'm such a sucker for green eyes! clap.gifthumb.gif

Other than that, what Shepsmom said. Great shots!

amen to that! I think they are great shots too!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited May 8, 2008
    What is the main thing you feel you have learned from the course? Watch your WB, limbs, and DOF. Interesting angles. Unfortunately, the general public is not so photogenic. :(

I'd say it was general composition - including foreground/background and positioning of the model. Actually, positioning the model was what I found most difficult.

I also found out that I need to take about 1,000 shots to get a half-way decent one!
    John
    edited May 8, 2008
    Thanks for all the kind comments, everyone! :)
    John
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Sventekoz wrote:
    I'd say it was general composition - including foreground/background and positioning of the model. Actually, positioning the model was what I found most difficult.

I also found out that I need to take about 1,000 shots to get a half-way decent one!

Posing a model is difficult. It takes lots of practice. What do you think your keeper ratio is? 10% (1 in 10) is normal for beginers. Try to slow down and take your time. Before each shot take a deep breath in and on the exhale press the shutter. On your breath in really look at your composition. You may find your keeper ratio will get much better. If you get 30% you will be doing very well as a beginer! thumb.gif
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited May 9, 2008
    Posing a model is difficult. It takes lots of practice. What do you think your keeper ratio is? 10% (1 in 10) is normal for beginers. Try to slow down and take your time. Before each shot take a deep breath in and on the exhale press the shutter. On your breath in really look at your composition. You may find your keeper ratio will get much better. If you get 30% you will be doing very well as a beginer! thumb.gif

10%? I wish! Probably closer to 5% on this shoot. :D

Thanks for that.
    John