Nikon D300 Question

MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited May 11, 2008 in Cameras
I have a question for all of you D300 shooters out there. I have a D200 myself, and one of the things that I really like about it is the dedicated bracket exposure button on the back (upper left, where the play button is on the D300.)

So my question is this: Do you miss it? I assume that you have to go into a menu to do bracketing now. How complex is this process? Can you map bracket to the custom button on the front? Is there a bracket button somewhere else that I am missing?

I admit that I have only seen pictures of the D300, and have not really dug deep to figure this out, but I suspect one or more of you knows the answer.

Thanks.

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/

Comments

• jsrcyclistjsrcyclist Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 4, 2008
    I have my D300 setup so that while pressing one of the function buttons (on the front of the camera body) with my right ring finger, I can change bracketing order with the main command dial (rear) and bracketing exposure with the sub-command dial (front). There are many other combinations that you can set up as well. Hope this helps :)
  • MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    jsrcyclist wrote:
    I have my D300 setup so that while pressing one of the function buttons (on the front of the camera body) with my right ring finger, I can change bracketing order with the main command dial (rear) and bracketing exposure with the sub-command dial (front). There are many other combinations that you can set up as well. Hope this helps :)

Yes, this helps very much. I just wanted to make sure that there was a way to continue to use bracketting without going into a menu every time.

Thanks.

• Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    MrBook2 wrote:
    I have a question for all of you D300 shooters out there. I have a D200 myself, and one of the things that I really like about it is the dedicated bracket exposure button on the back (upper left, where the play button is on the D300.)

So my question is this: Do you miss it? I assume that you have to go into a menu to do bracketing now. How complex is this process? Can you map bracket to the custom button on the front? Is there a bracket button somewhere else that I am missing?

I admit that I have only seen pictures of the D300, and have not really dug deep to figure this out, but I suspect one or more of you knows the answer.

Thanks.

If you already have a D200, why are you thinking about upgrading it (as your post implies)... if you need a D300 you need it... not for silly things like where the bracketing button is...

if you need A: faster fps speed,
    B: a broader range of colors from out of the box in jpeg,
    or C: really really hate seeing ca wide open in your nikon zoom lenses,

then you should switch.,

for a button? no ;p.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Mike02 wrote:
    If you already have a D200, why are you thinking about upgrading it (as your post implies)... if you need a D300 you need it... not for silly things like where the bracketing button is...

if you need A: faster fps speed,
    B: a broader range of colors from out of the box in jpeg,
    or C: really really hate seeing ca wide open in your nikon zoom lenses,

then you should switch.,

for a button? no ;p.

I do not think the OP was going to switch to a d300 for a button placement...to me it seemed the OP is considering an upgrade to a D300, but is worried they might have missed this bracketing button option, but they learned that you can do it with a function button.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    I do not think the OP was going to switch to a d300 for a button placement...to me it seemed the OP is considering an upgrade to a D300, but is worried they might have missed this bracketing button option, but they learned that you can do it with a function button.

Yes, you just about hit the nail on the head. I am considering an upgrade to a D300 eventually, and the placement of the bracket button was never a deal breaker. I just found the function to be super useful on the D200 (not so much on the D70 that I had upgraded from.) Truth be told, I found just about everything to be exactly where I wanted it on the D200. It was the first camera that was just about always out of my way; that is to say the camera and its interface never got in the way of me taking pictures.

I just couldn't understand Nikon removing the bracket button, since it is a function that a lot of folks use. But if you can map it to the function button on the front, that is good enough, I suppose.

There are a lot of upsides to the D300. Truth be told, the eventual upgrade will most likely happen because my wife wants my D200. She likes to shoot old Nikon manual lenses, and the D200 works great with AI (or AI converted) manual lenses. Again, not so much true on the D70 that we still have. And if she wants a camera that can still meter with old glass our choice is to get her a D200, or get me a D300 and pass the D200 on to her. This is still all theoretical at this point, since it won't happen any time soon. But maybe this fall... :)

• rockport5rockport5 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    MrBook2 wrote:
    Yes, you just about hit the nail on the head. I am considering an upgrade to a D300 eventually, and the placement of the bracket button was never a deal breaker. I just found the function to be super useful on the D200 (not so much on the D70 that I had upgraded from.) Truth be told, I found just about everything to be exactly where I wanted it on the D200. It was the first camera that was just about always out of my way; that is to say the camera and its interface never got in the way of me taking pictures.

I just couldn't understand Nikon removing the bracket button, since it is a function that a lot of folks use. But if you can map it to the function button on the front, that is good enough, I suppose.

There are a lot of upsides to the D300. Truth be told, the eventual upgrade will most likely happen because my wife wants my D200. She likes to shoot old Nikon manual lenses, and the D200 works great with AI (or AI converted) manual lenses. Again, not so much true on the D70 that we still have. And if she wants a camera that can still meter with old glass our choice is to get her a D200, or get me a D300 and pass the D200 on to her. This is still all theoretical at this point, since it won't happen any time soon. But maybe this fall... :)

The D200 is great there is no need to upgrade so far .
    Check it out
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=825424#post825424
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    rockport5 wrote:
    The D200 is great there is no need to upgrade so far .
    Check it out
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=825424#post825424

D300 owners would say otherwise. There are enough features on the D300 over the D200 that I will not upgrade to a D200 and save for a D300 like better batterly life, big LCD, better colors, higher ISO, and the addition of the grip giving it 8 fps. It's all relative to needs, wants, and what you shoot.