Kiss Glenda's Astra! :D

rossbillyrossbilly Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited June 15, 2008 in People
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My wife & I entered a local radio station's photo contest to win a new car, AND WE'VE MADE IT TO THE FINAL ROUND!!! They are giving away a Saturn ASTRA (hence the title).

Glenda was practically crying when she called & told me, because we are seriously broke these days. So, we practiced in the front yard for hours last weekend, trying to set up the best shot we could. Here's where we went to the dealership last Saturday night:

[/FONT]<center>[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_674902.jpg[/FONT]</center>[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]

Sunday night I entered this photo:

[/FONT]<center>[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_674904.jpg[/FONT]</center>[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]

Monday morning my vehicle DIED on the way to work.

Tuesday I got hurt at work.

Wednesday, I had to stay home.

Yesterday, I tried to go back to work... an ambulance came & got me from work because of my back.

Last night, Glenda got the call from the radio station - she's in the top 12!!!!! We << SO >> need this break & could use your help!!! Just follow the link below biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Billy & Glenda

Kiss Glenda's Astra & help us win a new car!! biggrin.gif

(Note - She is contestant #1, Glenda Ross)

Thanks so much, and I'm really grateful for all that I've learned from DGrin!!!
[/FONT]

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Done! Got my votethumb.gif

And I must say, your image is by far the best. The others are simply snapshots, and yours is a piece of artwork. Nice!
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Nice pic. thumb.gif

good luck!

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Cool beans man, I really hope you win!
  • Ike615Ike615 Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    great photo! I love the rain drops and reflection. And yes, your photo is by far the best. Wish you the best of luck winning the contest. There's no question in my mind that you should!
    Isaac Lane Koval
    www.kovalproductions.com
    Canon 5D & 30D:
    24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 70-200 f4L, 85mm f.1.2L II, 35mm f1.4L, 28-135mm f.3.5-5.6 IS, 580EX

• JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Got my vote thumb.gif
    Your picture does stand outclap.gif
    Hope you win!
    Jethro :D
    My Blog
    Jethro Kingston Photography
    Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Your photo is leaps and bound above anything else featured there. I mean, the other photos look gimmicky and very snap shotish. Yours is top notch art! WELL DONE!!! thumb.gif

EDIT: You should be careful. They may have rules that says that pros can't participate. Your photo might be too good.. I'd be slightly worried about that. The other contestants might pitch a big fit when you win(because you clearly will)...

I dunno. I stay away from photography contests. I entered one for the Baltimore Zoo and was dq'd because I'm a pro.
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    You got my vote - but you would have got it anyway. It's definitely the best.
    John
  • DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Sventekoz wrote:
    You got my vote - but you would have got it anyway. It's definitely the best.

Agree. But I couldn't vote, the link isn't working ne_nau.gif
  • Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    You got my vote.
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    you got my vote too, clearly the best...though KISS is creative
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    I hate contests that ask for a submission that demonstrates skill. creativity, etc, and the have the winner be determined by popular vote.

As long as you have enough friends a blurry photo of a twig would win.

That said I thought your photo was the best, and I voted for it.

Good luck!!

Sam
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,216 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    I wasn't able to vote--the link didn't work for me either, but I will try again later.

I really like your photo. It's artistic & just darned good! I love the water droplets on the car, too. Nice touch.

I also hope you win, but sometimes contests like this aren't about who has the best photo. It's just about who has the most friends who can sit at a computer and vote all day long. Hopefully, your friends at dgrin can help you pull it off!

Best of luck.
    Sherry
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Yeah if those are the 12, i don't see why you won't win... the others are cheezy, yours is better. The only competition i see is natalie rose's
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Voted....thumb.gif
  • JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    The link wouldn't work for me either. I tried last night and again right now. headscratch.gif

Good luck, great photo!
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    I love the picture. I tried to vote, I registered but never received the link, I even checked my junk mail. I thought it didn't take, went to register again, it said I was already registered. ne_nau.gif
    Jaye
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Votedthumb.gif

Probably the best one of them!
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Your photo should be in a Satrun ad. Yes, it's that good! thumb.gif
    I'm awaiting the email to send my vote for you, Billy.

EDIT: I got the link, you got my vote! :ivar
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Wow
    Wow....What a simple set up for such a FANTASTIC PHOTO....and yes you got my vote.....as others said your is by far the best!!!! Best of Luck in everything......remember be ready for some steep taxes when you wineek7.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Definitely the best. Got my vote!!! I also agree with Sam in that I dis-like contests like this for the same reasons. That being said...it was an awesome shot, great composition, creatitvity and lighting!!! Good Luck. thumb.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    I agree, it is by far the best in the lot, and thus it got my vote.

Nate
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • rossbillyrossbilly Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]WOW - you guys are amazing!!

I just can't believe all the wonderful support we've been getting, and I've been wearing a huge grin all morning from reading these biggrin.gif (uh, no... it is NOT from the pain meds)

My back is feeling good enough this morning to attempt going back to the office, but Glenda had to drive me to work. It's definitely 'desk duty' for me today, and I'm really embarrassed to face all the co-workers who watched me leave in an ambulance last week.

There doesn't seem to be a way to find out how well we're doing in the contest, but Glenda is supposed to be on the radio soon!! Hopefully they can tell her a little about the rankings!

I'm hoping that my back is strong enough to lift the camera in a few days, because we want to take some 'thank you' photos & share them with everyone here <smiles>

sending our hugs,
    Billy, Glenda, & our 3 daughters
    [/FONT]
  • rossbillyrossbilly Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Finally - an update!

The voting continues through this Thursday, and then the top 3 finalists will be announced. That Friday evening, those people will attend a Chattanooga (TN) Lookouts baseball game, where the grand prize winner will receive the keys!

We are SO incredibly excited, and grateful to anyone who votes!!
  • HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Love the image. Sexy w/o being slutty.

Once my registration goes thru I'll be voting.
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • L The ShadowmanL The Shadowman Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Very Very nice
  • sanford tullissanford tullis Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    You got my vote!! When you get your new car you have to get a vanity tag that says DGRIN!!! If you don't win than it is rigged!!!bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Capture memories one image at a time
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    i voted! It is the best, i hope you win!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Done! Got my votethumb.gif

And I must say, your image is by far the best. The others are simply snapshots, and yours is a piece of artwork. Nice!

Ditto, yours shines compared to the others.
  • OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    And the votes are pouring in from down here in Dalton. At least mine anyway. Maybe I'll see you at the Lookouts gameclap.gif
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Blondn6ftBlondn6ft Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Great picture ... clap.gif
    Voted ... thumb.gif
    Keep us posted ! deal.gif

{{by the way, how are you feeling ?? }}