Rock Climbing Wookie Wall, Alaska

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited May 4, 2008 in Sports
I'm high above my belayer and suddenly I don't feel so confident. The next clip is in front of me but its out of my reach and the next move doesn't feel as nice as I would like it to. Deep breath. Okay, lets do it. I reach up for the only good hold I can find and bring my feet up. I'm close. Move my other hand to a bad sloper, almost there. I feel the rock under my fingertips turn to dust as the hold explodes in my hand and I go flying. "CRAP!" comes before "TAKE!". Luckily my belayer is attentative and after banging around on the rock I come to a stop. Deep breath. Okay, lets try that again. I grab a new hold and give it another try, its not as good as the first but I think it will hold better. To make up for the difference I reach around another rock and watch as the whole flake dislodges from the wall. It fits neatly from my wrist to my shoulder. Holding the rock and still clinging onto the crappy hold I turn my head and yell to my belayer "Move left!!" Once it looks like shes out of the way I let it rip and it dismantles itself on the way to the ground where pieces fly off in all directions. "Take!" Deep breath...Okay lets try this again...

Heres some pictures from climbing on Thursday, I forgot my 1.8 lens in the car so everythings in focus heh. Hope those of you who have signed up for the climbing portion send me an email if you haven't already! Its going to be a great trip! :)

John starting out on the route his wife Tracy on the belay:
288887849_5tAKE-L.jpg

John asks, A tick mark? Hmm...Oh well.
288888228_ibDLj-L.jpg

Hmm..what do you know. It is a good hold.
288888601_sZKJV-L.jpg

Message to photographer...don't knock down any rocks! :huh
288889240_RiuEi-L.jpg

John sucking into the rock. Signature hat in tow!
288889988_ubBcj-L.jpg

Going for the clip!
288890814_iEkCA-L.jpg

And the only shot I got of Johns face since his hat blocked it the whole time.
288891596_8DSXW-L.jpg

Until next time!
I'm writing a climbing guide to alaska rock so you can bet there will be more climbing photo's this summer!

Comments

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    I
    And the only shot I got of Johns face since his hat blocked it the whole time.
    288891596_8DSXW-L.jpg

Sweet shots Kelsey. I couldn't feel my fingers. :Drolleyes1.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Fantastic shots from above. I enjoy your story as always.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips