Options

New Canon Xsi and Aperture

rrcolejrrrcolejr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited May 5, 2008 in Finishing School
Anyone have any idea on long it will take Apple to get support for the Xsi? Just got the camera (finally upgraded from 10D) and was really depressed when I found out Aperture does not support its RAW format.

Or if anyone knows a site I could look for any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Ronnie

Edit: fixed spelling mistake

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Apple, like Adobe and others, is usually tight-lipped about future releases and future camera support. You can get as close as the user forums at discussions.apple.com and you still won't get advance information. There were some very long and bitter threads asking for months when support for recent models like the D3 was going to appear in Aperture, long after Adobe added the support, and then one day the Apple update just showed up with no advance warning other than the Aperture product manger having posted previously that something was coming (but not specifically what or when). Officially, all you can do is wait. Rationally, Adobe seems to update Camera Raw every quarter or so, and Apple usually rolls camera updates into the next OS X update. The rumors say OS X 10.5.3 is in testing, maybe it will have the XSi in it, we'll just have to see.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2008
    Thanks for the information. Kind of sucks that until the update comes out I have completely change my workflow. Aperture will import my photo's just can't do anything with them (the thumbs even show the picture taken). Oh well, all I can do is wait.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    rrcolejr wrote:
    Thanks for the information. Kind of sucks that until the update comes out I have completely change my workflow. Aperture will import my photo's just can't do anything with them (the thumbs even show the picture taken). Oh well, all I can do is wait.

That's the price you pay for being one of the first people in the world to use a new camera. The software vendors need just a wee bit of time to keep up.

In the meantime, you don't have to completely change your workflow. Just use the camera you were using last week mwink.gif
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    could you use adobe's DNG converter, and convert to DNG as a first step?
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    could you use adobe's DNG converter, and convert to DNG as a first step?

Yes. But frankly use this only until an Aperture update comes around that adds support for the XSi, and then I'd go back and re-do with the default Aperture render as there are more RAW decode options for built-in support than there are for DNG support.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2008
    Thanks again everyone for all the replies. I could continue to use my 10D but the poor camera has about had it after 5 years of use. Bought the Xsi to hold me over until I get the money together to buy something better (as in a 1Ds).

For now I am converting to DNG and importing those into Aperture (along with the original CR2 files). When an update comes along not sure if I will re-do images that I spent time on or not. Hard enough keeping up with current photo's without going back to old ones.

Once again thanks for all the great replies. I am so glad I found this site.

Ronnie