Just got Smumug Pro now a few quesions? :)

bp1959bp1959 Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
edited May 4, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I have a question please

1.What size should I upload my pics at for the best quality and the largest size my customers can order
Do you resize in Photoshop? I have Elements 5.0

2. Do most here do all their PP work on the pics prior to uploading?

Thanks

Bryan

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    bp1959 wrote:
    I have a question please

1.What size should I upload my pics at for the best quality and the largest size my customers can order
    Do you resize in Photoshop? I have Elements 5.0

2. Do most here do all their PP work on the pics prior to uploading?

Thanks

Bryan

Do not resize your images. Download from camera/card, do any post processing you want, then upload to Smugmug without changing the number of pixels. This will give you the ability to print large with great quality. When saving JPEGs from Elements, use level 10 (on the 1-12 scale) or 80-85% on the percent scale.

Most do any PP work they want to do before uploading. While Smugmug has a few tools for image correction, they don't offer much flexibility so I would suggest getting them the way you like before upload since you already have Elements.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Thanks John :)

Bryan don't forget about 'Proof delay' it will enable you to make adjustments to images on your customer's orders: http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace

More Pro FAQ here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/pro-faq
  • PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Since I shoot so many frames and since each one would require individual attention at least to level the horizon (and probably remove some dust spots), I just upload all my images at about 75% quality for viewing on the site. I set a proof delay and when people place orders, then I fix up the image for printing and replace it with a new jpeg saved at 90%. Oh yeah, and when I do, I add the word "print" to the end of the filename. That way if someone else orders that same image again later, I can see by the name that I've already done the work to get it ready to go, and don't need to do anything further.