Options

If this doesn't make you feel sad...[3 imgs]

imonkimonk Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited May 14, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
...then you have a heart of stone!!

288953979_FpEpy-L.jpg

Awwwww

You'll be glad to know that this is of course a digital creation. The original pic is to follow, taken on a family day out to ride on a Steam Train. This is my little boy's teddy and he is very very very much loved :)

288953096_Y8WYo-L.jpg

And finally, a cracking pic of my son and my shoulder taken by my wife. The thing that makes it IMO are his eyes and the background.

288955650_GMR9Y-L.jpg

All taken with D50 and 50 1.8 and processed in Lightroom (added a vignette too).

CC warmly welcomed, I'd especially like to know if you cried :)

p.s. not sure if this is the right forum to post it in but it didn't seem to fit into any others.

Cheers
Ian

Comments

• Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Love the teddy of the image. I didn't know windows peeled like that, though! :D I like the treatment you gave the image, and your son is adorable! thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    imonk wrote:

Awwwww

You'll be glad to know that this is of course a digital creation. The original pic is to follow, taken on a family day out to ride on a Steam Train. This is my little boy's teddy and he is very very very much loved :)

And finally, a cracking pic of my son and my shoulder taken by my wife. The thing that makes it IMO are his eyes and the background.

All taken with D50 and 50 1.8 and processed in Lightroom (added a vignette too).

CC warmly welcomed, I'd especially like to know if you cried :)

p.s. not sure if this is the right forum to post it in but it didn't seem to fit into any others.

Cheers
    Ian

Hi Ian, narrrrrrr didn't make me cry, the textured shot (first one)
    has that old time feel about it, but doesn't come across as being sad to me.

Your son has the most gorgeous blue eyes, he's a cutie.

I like your processing of the first image, and glad you showed us the second image for a comparison.... very nicely done clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    My daughter, who is 14, still takes her teddy bear 'Art' with her every where (ok well not quite every where but you get the idea). I totally get what you were saying in the first photo. Nice job. thumb.gif
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ashishkapurashishkapur Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 14, 2008
    Pointers needed
    imonk wrote:

Cheers
    Ian
    Marvellous! Let me congratulate you on a beautiful shot and a Good Looking Son.

I was wondering how did you achieve the look in the first photo you posted. Would be grateful for any pointers you could throw my way.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Ashish
  • Options
    imonkimonk Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words Ashish.

For the first shot I basically created a black and white version of the original in photoshop and added a sepia tint to it using the photo filter, then I increased the 'Canvas Size' by about 3cm all around in white. I then selected the white border with the magic wand and feathered the selection by about 100px (I think!). I then used the eraser tool set to one of the 'chalk' brushes (any graphic type brush will do though) and set the opacity to about40 or 50. Then you can brush out the edges and because the selection is active and it's feathered it will only go a short way into the actual image. You can go over some bits more than others and this gives the rough edged look.

I then dropped another image on top to create the texture. I have a picture of a wall with flaking paint on it which worked quite well. Since this was on a different layer I simply reduced the opacity of that layer to get the look I wanted.

I think I just finished it off with a slight levels adjustment which reduced the contrast slightly.

Hope that's clear but if you're not sure about PS just shout and I'll try and be more specific. Oh and the paint texture picture isn't one I took, I got it from a photography magazine cd :) If you want I can email you it, but any texture picture would do.

Cheers
    Ian
  • Options
    ashishkapurashishkapur Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 14, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up, Ian! I'm really grateful to you for all this information.

I would give it a go and would let you know how I fared... :-)

Thanks again!

Regards,
    Ashish