Coldclimb's Wookie Wall

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited May 5, 2008 in Sports
Alright, about time I got back into the climbing shots here! Too much time wasted last summer taking pictures of fire instead. :rofl

Anyway, myself, my wife Tracy, and Prezwoodz all headed out to the Wookie Wall at Weiner Lake Thursday for some climbing. Last time we tried, it was much too cold and we wound up just playing around on the ice. This time it was cold, but we did manage to climb some.

Some of the gear before the climbing begins.
wookiemay001.jpg

Kelsey watches Tracy follow me up the first route we climbed. Ask HIM what the name was, he's the one writing the guidebook. :rofl
wookiemay003.jpg

Tracy herself, on her way up. Oddly enough this is only our second time climbing together, even though we've been best friends for years and climbers for far longer. Strange.
wookiemay004.jpg

Here's Kelsey working a shorter and more overhung climb nearby.
wookiemay005.jpg

wookiemay006.jpg

Got a couple from the ground of Kelsey on a much more regular length climb. I scoffed at the shortness of some of these routes, but I have to hand it to the guys establishing them, they've certainly put a lot of awesome work into making these routes enjoyable for everyone following them! Kelsey just fell from the bolt above just before clipping it. That's why he looks sad. :rofl
wookiemay007.jpg

wookiemay008.jpg

wookiemay009.jpg

And lastly, the obligatory portrait of Kelsey with an interesting expression, solely because he claims I always get these. :rofl
wookiemay010.jpg

On a terribly sad and devastating note, some of you saw my friend Gordon's cabin in my last post on climbing here.
spring02.jpg

Gordon and family were finishing up dinner the other day when they heard some popping in the garage. Opening the door to check it out, they were met with a raging inferno, already engulfing the whole garage. Everyone got out of the house safely, but because of the remote location, there is no fire protection in this area, and so nobody came and the house burnt to the ground.
wookiemay002.jpg

Needless to say it's a horrible tragedy, but at least nobody got hurt, and Gordon is already working on his plans to buy a house elsewhere and turn this land into a getaway lodge of sorts for folks to enjoy, so it's not the end of the world. If you've got one of those fireproof gun safes, though, you might not rely entirely upon its fireproofing. :huh
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Nice Pics John. :) Except this time it was Tracy who got the odd shot of me! Although you did manage to get my sad face hehe. I was bummed that hold blew up in my hand!!
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Great photos as usual. Man that must be difficult with ice cold fingers. I recon you could open a tin of beans with your fingers after doing that for a while.

Sad news about the cabin...do they know what caused it ? I assume in that sort of temperature they would have a furness/heating system running in a garage perhaps.
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Sad news about the cabin...do they know what caused it ? I assume in that sort of temperature they would have a furness/heating system running in a garage perhaps.

I think they had used the garage to cook, and they figured it was something about that that caused it, since they noticed right after dinner. Definitely a bummer.

And thanks! :D I usually have trouble doing ANYHING with my fingers after climbing stuff like that. It's strange, you can look at a hold and see that it might b good, but when you put your hand on it, you can't tell if you're staying on or not. Sometimes that allows you to climb harder, cause you don't notice your skin ripping. rolleyes1.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 5, 2008
    Nice shots as usual. I like the haul bag--kind of establishes things. Yeah?

Sorry to hear of your friends loss. Glad to hear that the family is safe--the
    rest is just stuff (though not easy to lose).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?