Medevac

VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
edited May 10, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
As some of you know I shoot a lot of fire/police/ems photos. One of the departments near me had a motorcycle go into the woods so they requested a helicopter, so naturally i was there with my camera, almost got knocked over when the helicopter landed from all the wind, wasnt prepared for it to land so close.

050408WIFD_15.jpg

050408WIFD_3.jpg

050408WIFD_8.jpg

050408WIFD_22.jpg

050408WIFD_25.jpg

050408WIFD_28.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    As some of you know I shoot a lot of fire/police/ems photos. One of the departments near me had a motorcycle go into the woods so they requested a helicopter, so naturally i was there with my camera, almost got knocked over when the helicopter landed from all the wind, wasn't prepared for it to land so close.

That would be quite an interesting job to do Vycor,
    photographing Emergency Vehicles and Staff.

The cost of putting the chopper in the air is quite astonishing.
    Many years ago my older brother was involved in a serious Hang Gliding accident where his glider collapsed after he jumped from the rim of a cliff.

I believe the cost of the chopper coming in,
    retrieving him from the cliff wall and raising him up back on the top of the platform from where he jumped,
    was somewhere in the vicinity of between $5,000 - $7,000.

Hooray for Emergency Services People, they do a wonderful job,
    how many people have had their lives saved because of the wonderful service our Police Fire Ambulance and other Emergency Services provide.

Nice reporting there Vycor clap.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Wow - great captures. I particularly like #1 & #4. Exciting/stressful moments captured.
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    Hooray for Emergency Services People, they do a wonderful job,
    how many people have had their lives saved because of the wonderful service our Police Fire Ambulance and other Emergency Services provide.

Nice reporting there Vycor clap.gif ... Skippy :D

I know i've personally saved two lives. I was award a pin/cert for one and i was supposed to get a pin/cert for a 2nd but missed a meeting and just never got it. I don't talk about them though. This is actually first time ive mentioned saving a live since... the incidents actually happened.

Im a volunteer EMT, or was, still certified but have a passion for the services so i combine the love of photography and it works out.

I offer my photos free to the departments because its great when they email me saying "thanks for the photos they were great"

Its interesting also to be behind the scenes and seeing what goes on. They arn't fantastic photos but things you don't see everyday.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Thanks for sharing the photos +. thumb.gif What happened to the accident victim?
    Michael
  • SpectreSpectre Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Nice shots!

Agreed that your job seems to be an exciting one.

One thing you might try if you get paired with a helicopter again is to bring down the shutter speed to about 1/125 to show motion of the blades.
    edited May 9, 2008
    Yeah def. I thought bout that also i saw them, and im like "ehh wish those blades were blurred". I def will next time. heres a nighttime image that made the local paper for a helo landing... they landed this on a small residential type street after a shooting/car accident:

041808NAFD_7.jpg

041808NAFD_9.jpg
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Nice job with the blurred blades on that second set. It was the first thing I noticed, then I went back and read your post.

Yeah, helicopters are tricky to shoot around-- they kick up all kinds of grit and they are noisy and if you have a hat or anything loose, they'll knock that off too.

I worked on a firefighting helitack crew one season so I spent lots of time in and around helicopters. The thing that always cracked me up was our briefings. The helicopter was a contract helicopter meaning the pilot and helicopter were contracted out by the agency rather than owned.

The pilot/owner was REALLY adamant about keeping things inside clean. So adamant that when we briefed passengers prior to flying, we actually told them if they became air sick, they should either remove their hard hats and puke in them or puke down the front of their shirts! :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited May 9, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    Yeah def. I thought bout that also i saw them, and im like "ehh wish those blades were blurred". I def will next time. heres a nighttime image that made the local paper for a helo landing... they landed this on a small residential type street after a shooting/car accident:

041808NAFD_7.jpg

041808NAFD_9.jpg
    These two are great shots, period.
    edited May 9, 2008
    Was very dark. Had my tripod setup waiting for them to walk to the helicopter. I got there after they landed.
    edited May 9, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    Was very dark. Had my tripod setup waiting for them to walk to the helicopter. I got there after they landed.
    I think the dark of night helps emphasize the situation.
    edited May 10, 2008
    Heres a few more from that first helo landing (the nighttime one, it happened a few weeks ago).

Basically someone shot at this car, the car crashed. one of the occupants died at the scene, the other was flown via helo to a hospital

041808NAFD_8.jpg

041808NAFD_12.jpg

041808NAFD_10.jpg

041808NAFD_6.jpg