Challenge 36 question

micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited April 5, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Must it be a flashlight? I'm assuming that it's okay to use other types of light sources, such as light-sticks, candles, fireflies, searchlights, etc.. Is that true?

Comments

• landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    micknewton wrote:
    Must it be a flashlight? I'm assuming that it's okay to use other types of light sources, such as light-sticks, candles, fireflies, searchlights, etc.. Is that true?
    I would think no, since it's not called "lit by an alternate light source"

Andy?ne_nau.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    flashlight.jpg

sl-vc-300.jpg

keychain-flashlight-nf001.jpg

35minerscap.jpg
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    hehe im guessing that means flashlights??
  • micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    Okay, but the technique of 'painting with light' has been used by many photographers and with many different light sources. What difference does it make what the light source is? As long as you're painting your subject with the light, rather than fully illuminating it, it's still painting with light.

Also, how are you going to be able to tell that the light used to create a given photo came from a flashlight, or not?

If you limit it to flashlights, then photos like Prezwoodz's "Meditation" photo wouldn't be a valid entry because it wasn't made with a flashlight.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=9283
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    What makes you think mine wasnt made with a flashlight :uhoh hehe It was made with a red LED light which is used as a flashlight around campsites because of the way it is designed its still a flashlight right? I do see what you mean by your question ! :)

I hope it does qualify though!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    micknewton wrote:
    Okay, but the technique of 'painting with light' has been used by many photographers and with many different light sources. What difference does it make what the light source is? As long as you're painting your subject with the light, rather than fully illuminating it, it's still painting with light.

Also, how are you going to be able to tell that the light used to create a given photo came from a flashlight, or not?

If you limit it to flashlights, then photos like Prezwoodz's "Meditation" photo wouldn't be a valid entry because it wasn't made with a flashlight.

we're getting too complicated. use whatever flashlightsource you want.. the color's not important, led/laser/halogen/or an old $1.99 penlight...

cool?
  • Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    we're getting too complicated. use whatever flashlightsource you want.. the color's not important, led/laser/halogen/or an old $1.99 penlight...

cool?
    was that flash, lightsource? or flashlight source? or flash, light, source? rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofljust kidding. I couldn't resist...

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    micknewton wrote:
    Why? Were you going to try to use that sparkle in your eye?rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ...laser...
    You said the magic word! I've been wanting an excuse to use my laser gun in a photo. You rock! ylsuper.gif

Now, if I can just get some time to take a photo...

Oooo, a photo of Mt Rushmore with big colored searchlights!