Coal Harbour, Vancouver at night

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited May 22, 2008 in Landscapes
289583802_sQw3y-L.jpg

Was at a course in Vancouver and went for a walk by the harbour. Used the cement fence in place of a tripod.

Comments

• JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    How beautiful. I love the colors and how calm the water is. Nice job. thumb.gif
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    I like it, calm, cool and colourful

Tim
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    JavaLover wrote:
    How beautiful. I love the colors and how calm the water is. Nice job. thumb.gif

Thank you - the water is calmed by the long exposure.

ann
    edited May 6, 2008
    draggin wrote:
    I like it, calm, cool and colourful

Tim
    Thanks, Tim.

ann
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    I presume you were out again for work? I'm envious of all the travel thumb.gif

The water looks so still. I love the forest of the masts and symmetry created by the reflection.
  • raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Hi Ann,

Nice picture of Coal Harbour. Vancouver is one of our favourite places for a getaway. We like to book a room at the historic Sylvia hotel (near Denman and Stanley Park), not tell a soul that we're in town and just make like tourists.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
    edited May 6, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I presume you were out again for work? I'm envious of all the travel thumb.gif

The water looks so still. I love the forest of the masts and symmetry created by the reflection.

Hi Steph - yes traveling is the ONE thing that keeps me working where I work. Today, I discovered I do not speak malerolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Anyway, thanks for stopping in. This shot worked from a focus perspective - I didn't have my tripod, and I can't decide if this or a 4/10 crop is better. Thoughts?

ann
    edited May 6, 2008
    raebrown wrote:
    Hi Ann,

Nice picture of Coal Harbour. Vancouver is one of our favourite places for a getaway. We like to book a room at the historic Sylvia hotel (near Denman and Stanley Park), not tell a soul that we're in town and just make like tourists.

Hi Rae

My last actual time spent in Vancouver was in 1991, when my son was a baby. I had forgotten how wonderful the far west is! I've been dreaming in palm trees for year, but think I could make due at either Canadian coast if I can't make palms happen.

ann
    edited May 7, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Steph - yes traveling is the ONE thing that keeps me working where I work. Today, I discovered I do not speak malerolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Anyway, thanks for stopping in. This shot worked from a focus perspective - I didn't have my tripod, and I can't decide if this or a 4/10 crop is better. Thoughts?

ann

I dunno about the exact ratio but sure I think cropping the bottom dark bit would make the composition a little stronger! thumb.gif
    edited May 9, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I dunno about the exact ratio but sure I think cropping the bottom dark bit would make the composition a little stronger! thumb.gif

Like this?
    289584274_vGRUw-L.jpg
    edited May 9, 2008
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Agreed, I love the new crop much more. Great job thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    I hope you don't mind, but I couldn't help but fiddle with this most excellent image and see what I could do with it:

292498378_HxAku-XL.jpg292500906_m5ZwB-XL.jpg
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
    edited May 10, 2008
    timk519 wrote:
    I hope you don't mind, but I couldn't help but fiddle with this most excellent image and see what I could do with it:

So Tim, this is not useful unless you actually share what you thought needed improving and how you achieved it. Its also really worthwhile asking permission first. Not everyone cares to have their images manipulated.

So, I can see that you've brightened the sky & water. Tell me how and why.

ann
  • timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    So Tim, this is not useful unless you actually share what you thought needed improving and how you achieved it.
    I would beg to differ as this is just a different take on it. Some edits produce a different feel than others, but "different" doesn't mean that one is "better" or "worse" than the other, just that it's different.
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Its also really worthwhile asking permission first. Not everyone cares to have their images manipulated.
    If I've offended you, or you don't like this, then I'll gladly take it down and remove all evidence of it's existence.
    Ann McRae wrote:
    So, I can see that you've brightened the sky & water. Tell me how and why.
    I'll do the "why" first - the original image gave me the impression of a time later at night, people are probably settling in for the night, and all is calm and peacful.

The edited image strikes me as being earlier in the evening, the brightend lights in the docked boats could correspond to more activity, maybe some parties going on, etc.

As for the "hows" - it was a bit more involved than just brightening the sky & water - I did some sharpening, pushed the blue and purple saturation, cut the yellow, aqua, and green luminance in curves, pushed the brightness, contrast, and recovery, and adjusted the tinting. I also cropped the bit of cloud on the top.

Anyway, if you want it gone, say the word and it'll be as if it never was.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Like this?
    289584274_vGRUw-L.jpg

I like this cropped version better too, the reflections are great! I was just in Vancouver last weekend and did some shots at this same location (I'll post them in a separate thread).
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 22, 2008
    Ann, this is a wonderful image. It conveys a sense of peace.

The crop does make the image better. But the colours are what I really like.

Nice!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited May 22, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I like this cropped version better too, the reflections are great! I was just in Vancouver last weekend and did some shots at this same location (I'll post them in a separate thread).

Ron - thanks, isn't Vancouver a pretty city?

ann
    edited May 22, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Ann, this is a wonderful image. It conveys a sense of peace.

The crop does make the image better. But the colours are what I really like.

Nice!

Thank you Ian. It was very peaceful, a beautiful evening

ann