Frustrated... time to buy a 1DS?

DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
edited May 6, 2008 in Cameras
Ok, so I have a 5D and a 30D and shoot with nothing but L or EX(sigma) glass.

However, I've been spoiled with the 5D and I'm considering retiring the 30D, selling it with a couple of other lenses as a nice starter kit.

Should I get another 5D or get a 1DS MKII or MKIII and move my current 5D to my left side(I dual wield. :P) I just notice that the shots with my 5D are soooo much crisper than from my 30D and it's frustrating. I end up barely using the 30D even though I fit it with my 24-105L for the versatility.. That lens would go much better used if it was on a 5D. It just doesn't get wide enough on the 30D.. *sigh* I don't know what to do.

Any ideas? I absolutely LOVE the 5D, but wouldn't mind a bit more resolution in my sensor but it HAS to be full framed, I can't go back to a cropped sensor. I'm spoiled now.
Modus Imagery
Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876

Comments

• PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    The 1D series are a cropped (1.3x) sensor... But I just picked up an 1D Mark IIn last week and I am loving it :D great improvement from the 30D...

You could also consider the 40D, it is a big step from the 30D. ne_nau.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    The 1D series are a cropped (1.3x) sensor... But I just picked up an 1D Mark IIn last week and I am loving it :D great improvement from the 30D...

I did consider a 40D until the point where I also make the stipulation that the next body I buy has to be a pro body(5D, 1D, etc). I'm really leaning toward a 1 series for it's weather sealing. It'd be a good rig that I wouldn't afraid to use in light rain or in inclimate weather. To keep costs down, I'm more looking at a MKII, but I suppose I'm not above shelling out for the 1DS MKIII, I just would like to know the magic question, "How much better is the 1DS MKIII than the current 5D?"
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    I did consider a 40D until the point where I also make the stipulation that the next body I buy has to be a pro body(5D, 1D, etc). I'm really leaning toward a 1 series for it's weather sealing. It'd be a good rig that I wouldn't afraid to use in light rain or in inclimate weather. To keep costs down, I'm more looking at a MKII, but I suppose I'm not above shelling out for the 1DS MKIII, I just would like to know the magic question, "How much better is the 1DS MKIII than the current 5D?"

Well, I have not used either camera (I have used the 1D Mark III and it was amazing). But I can tell you they are in completely different leagues... I considered an used Mark II for a while, but ended up going for the IIn (revised version).

Your question though, is like asking how much better is a ___(insert electronic here)___ 4 years ago, than one released a few months ago?
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    I think the most important question then to know if/what you need for an upgrade is where you think your current gear is the reason for not making the shots you need.
    For example, I recently upgraded to a new body because I wasn't satisfied with the low-light high ISO I was getting from my previous bodies, and I make a living doing weddings in dark churches. So, I got a body that has much improved high ISO and in-camera IS. So, the previous body was really hampering my ability to produce pleasing images for my clients.
    What aspect of your current setup is causing your poor results in your images? Crop factor? High ISO? Weather sealing? Shooting speed? etc.
    edited May 4, 2008
    I think the most important question then to know if/what you need for an upgrade is where you think your current gear is the reason for not making the shots you need.
    For example, I recently upgraded to a new body because I wasn't satisfied with the low-light high ISO I was getting from my previous bodies, and I make a living doing weddings in dark churches. So, I got a body that has much improved high ISO and in-camera IS. So, the previous body was really hampering my ability to produce pleasing images for my clients.
    What aspect of your current setup is causing your poor results in your images? Crop factor? High ISO? Weather sealing? Shooting speed? etc.

I'd say, probably weather sealing being a big one, high iso performance, sensor crop and utilizing the high resolution of L-series glass. Images are just generally sharper even at lower resolutions as they come off my 5D. I don't seem to have the versatility that my 5D has with the 30D when it comes to recovering exposures, the sensor just noises up way too fast.

Not really an issue with shooting speed.

I may get another 5D as that seems to be what I'm happy with and it's significantly less expensive than a Mark 3.

I'm just curious as to how much better the 1Ds Mark 3 is than the 5D. I'd like to hear form someone who's shot with both, both with L-glass.
    Modus Imagery
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    I just would like to know the magic question, "How much better is the 1DS MKIII than the current 5D?"
    Personally i dont know if you can compare those 2 cameras. They have significantly different specs.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    I envy the decision making process you are stuck in.
    but I suppose I'm not above shelling out for the 1DS MKIII
    Well then, I wouldn't think twice about it to be honest. I'd get the 1DSMKIII. In fact, I would have already submit my order.

You can also wait for the 5D replacement.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    Ok, so I have a 5D and a 30D and shoot with nothing but L or EX(sigma) glass.

However, I've been spoiled with the 5D and I'm considering retiring the 30D, selling it with a couple of other lenses as a nice starter kit.

Should I get another 5D or get a 1DS MKII or MKIII and move my current 5D to my left side(I dual wield. :P) I just notice that the shots with my 5D are soooo much crisper than from my 30D and it's frustrating. I end up barely using the 30D even though I fit it with my 24-105L for the versatility.. That lens would go much better used if it was on a 5D. It just doesn't get wide enough on the 30D.. *sigh* I don't know what to do.

Any ideas? I absolutely LOVE the 5D, but wouldn't mind a bit more resolution in my sensor but it HAS to be full framed, I can't go back to a cropped sensor. I'm spoiled now.

I share the same pain as you. Don't know where to go after having the 5D with couple of Ls.
    My friend lended me his 1D MKIII, very fast, fool-proof, dual card and live view were great but 1.3X only.
    It seems the 1DsMarkIII is the only way to go but just too expensive. The 5D replacement may be an too long to wait.
    Please do keep me update what is your decision. I may follow u.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008

Psst, the 1Ds series is FF.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
    edited May 5, 2008
    20DNoob wrote:

The 1D is a 1.3x crop, the 1Ds is a full frame.
    Modus Imagery
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    20DNoob wrote:
    DI-Joe wrote:
    The 1D is a 1.3x crop, the 1Ds is a full frame.
    ne_nau.gifrofl
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 5, 2008
    I shoot with a 5D and a 1DsMkll.

I like the 5D a lot, and use it more than the bigger, heavier, better weather sealed 1DsMKll.

But while the 5d is a great camera, it is a fair weather camera. It does not like rain and snow and wind. Mine ceased working after an afternoon in the rain in 28 degree weather and it was protected well. Dried out overnight, it resumed normal operation again. I know of several other 5ds with similar behaviors. It is a great camera, but it is not a 1 Series camera.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited May 5, 2008
    yeah, size and weight are not an issue for me. I'm a rather large guy.

I know well that the 5D and any other non-1series bodies are not weather sealed and thusly, I don't even chance it. One reason that I want a 1 series.

But like I said, I welcome the extra weight. :)
    Modus Imagery
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    yeah, size and weight are not an issue for me. I'm a rather large guy.

I know well that the 5D and any other non-1series bodies are not weather sealed and thusly, I don't even chance it. One reason that I want a 1 series.

But like I said, I welcome the extra weight. :)

You can convert your belove 5D to a big and heavy toy by putting on the battery grip. It will become the size and weight similar to the 1Ds MKII but much cheaper. clap.gif
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited May 6, 2008
    You can convert your belove 5D to a big and heavy toy by putting on the battery grip. It will become the size and weight similar to the 1Ds MKII but much cheaper. clap.gif

Already done. :P
    Modus Imagery