Got my 40D!!!!

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited May 8, 2008 in Cameras
So Best Buy has 18 month interest free promotional financing store wide today.... I grabbed the Circuit City ad for the 40D, price matched it to the sale price there... and snagged it at 18 months interest free :)

Then got the hubby's employee numbers picked up a bunch of batteries and the service plan at nice discounts (can't use promotional financing with an employee discount) and I was all set to go!!

It's really nice to finally have it in my hands!! Been tweaking with it for the last hour since I got home. Learning where stuff is... trying to figure out where things are moved to from my XTi, all in all though super thrilled!!!

EDIT: a question... is there a way I can make a shortcut to setting flash exposure compensation? (and I'm sure more questions will follow as I continue playing today)

Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    congrats! My son got one about a month ago; he loves it.
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    read the manual first, then play with it thumb.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Congrats and have fun with it!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    is there a way I can make a shortcut to setting flash exposure compensation? (and I'm sure more questions will follow as I continue playing today)
    Press the button on top, then spin the thumb dial
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Press the button on top, then spin the thumb dial
    -aha found it! thanks :) amusingly enough I was already using that same button for ISO... (which I already figured out in the custom settings how to enable the 3200 setting in there for)...but since I wasn't looking for FEC at the time I didn't notice that, lol.

read the manual first, then play with it thumb.gif
    Manual? that's the easy way out lol, I prefer the challenge! hehe

Just went running around my front and back yard taking a bunch of flower photos to give it a test drive... I love the sound of it's shutter compared to the XTi, it's like music to my ears :)
    edited May 4, 2008
    A few test shots I took this afternoon:

289692138_aiP2v-M.jpg

289689816_TWXd4-M.jpg

289692810_oKzwf-M.jpg

289683797_fW4xF-M.jpg

Not the worlds best photos but they work for a start.

I of course was using my 24-105 (not the new kit lens). The new kit lens is now going to be my husbands toy :)
  • JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    Congrats!!! Lovely pooches. iloveyou.gif
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Congrats, Shima... I'm (with my 20D) envious. I really want the larger LCD, color histogram, and spot focus. What, those are all available on a 30D??? mwink.gif
    Chris
  • VivPixVivPix Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Great!
    Congratulations on the new camera. I love my 40D! I mostly shoot sports. You will have fun with it!
    Thanks,

Vivian
    SmugMug Hero
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Congrats -- I love my 40D :)

Lee
    edited May 6, 2008
    Much thanks everyone :) I'm still loving it... it's a pity that basketball season isn't until November, I really want to test the 6.5 FPS!!

But at least my first wedding of the summer is Saturday :)

In the meanwhile, my backyard works as a nice test playground:
    290851862_5fPmF-M.jpg
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Mine's coming soon.
    Good Afternoon & congrats thumb.gif
    I just ordered one from Remford on Monday and it should be here in the next day or two clap.gif Looking forward to it.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Once again, big congrats!
    I love mine :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited May 7, 2008
    Got to test it out with some people today (as opposed to the flowers and pets)... will post some of my results there. I am amazed, I think my shots look EVEN sharper on this body, the image processor certainly is pleasing.
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Much thanks everyone :) I'm still loving it... it's a pity that basketball season isn't until November, I really want to test the 6.5 FPS!!
    The other day I went out in a hurry to play with the exposure bracketing (I just scared myself with some HDR stuff)

I held down the shutter, expecting the 3 shots, the camera took 7 before I could lift my finger... (I'd forgot to set it properly)

I love having a camera that's so much quicker than I am :D
    edited May 8, 2008
    Robinivich wrote:
    The other day I went out in a hurry to play with the exposure bracketing (I just scared myself with some HDR stuff)

I held down the shutter, expecting the 3 shots, the camera took 7 before I could lift my finger... (I'd forgot to set it properly)

I love having a camera that's so much quicker than I am :D

Indeed! It's pretty awesome. I also love that my shots seem EVEN sharper than they did on the rebel.

291609889_FBaWD-M.jpg

291604039_VyrLW-M.jpg

This body is just so sleek and amazing. I love how quick it responds :) AF, photo review, shutter...... ah heaven :)