Few simple portaits.

Domino81Domino81 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited May 5, 2008 in People
I've been at this photography thing for around 2-3 years. I've owned my 20D for a little more than a month. I think I'm getting close to dialing in the settings where I want them. So... be gentle and constructive with your critisizm, please? :)

ConnorMott.jpg

FlorwerBoy.jpg

LittleBunionGrl.jpg

Picture5913.jpg

DarkFace.jpg

That little guy is my son, Ian. The littlest little guy and the little girl are kids my mom watches. The older gentleman is my grandfather.

I'm 27 and I think I'm going back to school for this. That's the plan at least!

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 5, 2008
    Hi Anthony and welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif

It's nice to see that you are trying a variety of techniques. Of the shots you posted, I like the one of your son best. thumb.gif The skin in #1 looks very red on my monitor, though that could be corrected easily in Photoshop. #2 is pretty cool, but I would prefer to see the flower in sharper focus. Good composition there.

Hope this helps. Keep shooting and keep posting. deal.gif
  • Domino81Domino81 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Hi Anthony and welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif

It's nice to see that you are trying a variety of techniques. Of the shots you posted, I like the one of your son best. thumb.gif The skin in #1 looks very red on my monitor, though that could be corrected easily in Photoshop. #2 is pretty cool, but I would prefer to see the flower in sharper focus. Good composition there.

Hope this helps. Keep shooting and keep posting. deal.gif

It does, I've been having the WORST time getting a good shot in the daylight. I still have to learn PS. Thankns for the props.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Hi there & welcome!!

You got some wonderful shots! clap.gifI think my favorites are the girl & grandpa ... I somehow wish the boy on the last one would have been looking at you, so you see more of his eyes. Nice photos! mwink.gif
  • len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    I really like the lighting on the older gentleman and the boy in the last photo. Perhaps a little more fill light would help bring out more detail in the shadowed areas.
    Canon 5d mii, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 35mm 1.4L, 70-200mm IS L
  • NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Well, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by gentle constructive comments, but I'll give it a shot. If I come off as harsh I do not mean to do so. Also, take what I say with a grain of salt as I am nowhere near professional myself.

1. could be a cute photo, as has been stated the face is very red. I don't know elements, so I don't know if there is a way to fix it, but if there is a hue/saturation tab and you could go to the red channel and decrease the saturation that would be immensely helpful

(here I made a quick and dirty attempt at it.) I can take this off if you would like.
    2467844121_43c4d0912a.jpg?v=0

I think #2 is a neat idea. I noticed you have the aperture at 1.8 which is good, but it's confusing me because the hand is in focus, but the flower is not. Also, the grain is rather distracting, I'm not sure why there is so much at ISO 800 on your 20, maybe because of the lack of lighting.

#3 The girl is absolutely adorable. Again the grain is distracting to my eye, and I think it could use a different crop maybe knocking some off the top to bring her eyes out of the middle of the frame.

#4 The photo of grandpa is one of my more favorites, the main thing I would want to change here would be the blown highlights on the right of his face. I'm seeing grain here too, so, maybe it's a photobucket thing as you're only at an ISO of 200. I'm not sure.

#5 I agree, it would be nice if he were looking at you a bit more.

Overall, I enjoyed looking through these photos, and keep posting :)

Nate
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Great shots. I like 2 and the last one. As stated they look a little red on my monitor also and a tad bit of work on the focus and you got it!
    LadyTX