Options

Uploading Size vs. Quality Question

Barry NicholsBarry Nichols Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited May 12, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello All,

I have been doing some testing on upload speeds and need some "Pro" advice.....

I am using the Jeffrey Friedl Smugmug uploader. I shoot at 12 Mpix. I usually upload as JPEG, 240ppi, Quality 100. This takes about 2-3 minutes per file. I need to reduce the file size to expedite the uploads. I have quite a few people purchase 4 Mpix downloads, so I need to maintain at least that size. My solution was to "reduce to fit - Dimensions" in the JF Uploader and change this setting to 2454x1630 pixels (4 Mpix) and maintain the rest above. This change reduced the upload time to about 30 seconds.

Here are my question(s):
1- Will a 4 Mpix image be large enough to produce a "quality" 8x10 or 8x12? Or should I replace to purchased image with a higher quality file during the proofing period?

2- Does it make any difference 2454x1630 vs. 1630x2454 if I have a mix of landscape and portrait views, or can I just leave it as 2454x1630?

3- If I am going to replace the image file anyway with a larger one for prints, does the 240 PPI really matter on downloaded files and will I gain upload speed by reducing it? If so, what is the ideal size?

Any help is really appreciated! I just want to make sure buyers are getting what they expect.

Barry
Barry Nichols

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2008
    I would ALWAYS use proof delay and replace the smaller res images with a full res file. Always. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Barry NicholsBarry Nichols Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Great, thanks! How about sizing the 12 MP down the way I am doing it and the ppi?
    Barry Nichols
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Great, thanks! How about sizing the 12 MP down the way I am doing it and the ppi?
    That'll be fine, just remember to set for proof delay and reupload new file upon order thumb.gif
  • Options
    redmistphotoredmistphoto Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2008
    Hello All,

I have been doing some testing on upload speeds and need some "Pro" advice.....

I am using the Jeffrey Friedl Smugmug uploader. I shoot at 12 Mpix. I usually upload as JPEG, 240ppi, Quality 100. This takes about 2-3 minutes per file. I need to reduce the file size to expedite the uploads. I have quite a few people purchase 4 Mpix downloads, so I need to maintain at least that size. My solution was to "reduce to fit - Dimensions" in the JF Uploader and change this setting to 2454x1630 pixels (4 Mpix) and maintain the rest above. This change reduced the upload time to about 30 seconds.

Here are my question(s):
    1- Will a 4 Mpix image be large enough to produce a "quality" 8x10 or 8x12? Or should I replace to purchased image with a higher quality file during the proofing period?

4Mpix is equivalent to 200ppi for 8x12; so yes, that is a good size.

2- Does it make any difference 2454x1630 vs. 1630x2454 if I have a mix of landscape and portrait views, or can I just leave it as 2454x1630?

It does not make any difference; just specify 2454 in the "longer side option" in the Export plugin.

3- If I am going to replace the image file anyway with a larger one for prints, does the 240 PPI really matter on downloaded files and will I gain upload speed by reducing it? If so, what is the ideal size?

PPI is not meaningful if you specify the pixels size of the file. It is meaningful only if use print size for the file. This allows the Export to calculate the appropriate pixel size.

Any help is really appreciated! I just want to make sure buyers are getting what they expect.

Barry

Note, that you don't need to specify any higher than "80" quality for JPEG; this also helps reduce the file size when exporting. I use "80" and upload the full 10Mpix file as shot by my camera and that makes the uploads quite quick (my upload speeds are usually around 180KB/s over our cable modem). Then I don't need to worry about uploading higher res files when people order prints.