Digital awards?

2»

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    davev wrote:
    If I wanted to be rude, I could be. I could write a book on it. If there was a colony of rude people,
    I would be their king. Is this point clear?
    I've known you personally for many years, and you don't have a rude bone in your body - but I also know you are a tough man and if you wanted to be that king, you could be!

Sorry you have to put up with the ca-rap, Dave :( Thanks for doing this anyway.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    davev wrote:
    If I wanted to be rude, I could be. I could write a book on it. If there was a colony of rude people,
    I would be their king. Is this point clear?/QUOTE]
    I've known you personally for many years, and you don't have a rude bone in your body - but I also know you are a tough man and if you wanted to be that king, you could be!

Sorry you have to put up with the ca-rap, Dave :( Thanks for doing this anyway.

Yeah. All my "ca-rap" shows, and I own up to it all. clap.gif

I was never a PMer thumb.gif

And yes, it might be regrettable I don't "qualify" as a personal friend of yours, Andy, for reasons outside my control.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    You are pretty good at self righteousness, too. :D But I challenge you for king of that, because I'm going to indulge in some of my own (no contest on rudeness though) clap.gif

It's easily seen looking at your challenge thread that I was trying to make a positive contribution to what you had begun. I was C&Cing entries and generally cheering you and the entrants. My suggestions about digital awards and voting were just that, suggestions, and were put in a manner in keeping with my other posts to the thread.

You ignored my contributions, both there and here, and responded only to my suggestion about a poll in the thread, and did so in a high handed manner, the smiley notwithstanding. I'm sure you know, but when someone is obviously on your side and wanting to add to your endeavor the polite thing to do is at least to thank them. This was missing both there and here. Why? Because you say so? As it turned out the challenge, while having some stunning entries, was dead in terms of community involvement and spirit. I still admire what you did, however.

The message I got from you, both from your ignoring of my involvement and spirit and the one liner shooting down my suggestion of a voting poll, was, euphemistically, go away. Call that not rude? (In fact the words I used here were "too close to rude for my comfort". So I didn't actually say you were rude. BP please also note.)

Neil

I ignored everybody's contributions for a reason, I was the judge. I can't go around saying, 'I like yours but not yours '
    That wouldn't be in the best interest of the people in the challenge.

Yes you were helping out with your comments, when I wrote back 'Everyone's doing great' why did you not think I was including you
    in that statement?

The "one liner" that you refer to wasn't a one liner, it was a fact.
    If I had wanted a poll for voting, I'd have put it in the rules.
    I guess after seeing the success that this type of challenge had
    on the other board, you know, going on to their 167th one,
    I felt that the rules were well written, and that there was no need
    to change them.

So, if you really need a pat on the back, for giving someone else a pat on the
    back for going out and taking a nice shot, sorry, I guess it won't be coming from me.

To get back on the subject of this thread,

Under your avatar there are words, words that can be edited by that person.
    If you have the need, just change it to say, "Winner of ______"
    There you go, there's your digital award.

One again, thanks to those that help out.

P.S.
    We have a saying at work, maybe it applies here, maybe not, you decide.

Try to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
    This is normally a good thing.

These will be my last words on this subject.

later.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    davev wrote:
    I ignored everybody's contributions for a reason, I was the judge. I can't go around saying, 'I like yours but not yours '
    That wouldn't be in the best interest of the people in the challenge.

Yes you were helping out with your comments, when I wrote back 'Everyone's doing great' why did you not think I was including you
    in that statement?

*** I was referring to the style of your post directly to me, but I guess with thought you could have worked that out?

The "one liner" that you refer to wasn't a one liner, it was a fact.
    If I had wanted a poll for voting, I'd have put it in the rules.
    I guess after seeing the success that this type of challenge had
    on the other board, you know, going on to their 167th one,
    I felt that the rules were well written, and that there was no need
    to change them.

*** I have praised you more than once for your Challenge, and specifically for your rules.

So, if you really need a pat on the back, for giving someone else a pat on the
    back for going out and taking a nice shot, sorry, I guess it won't be coming from me.

*** Just as well I don't have such a need, then, isn't it. :D However, might you not be just a bit out of touch with what makes the world go round?

To get back on the subject of this thread,

Under your avatar there are words, words that can be edited by that person.
    If you have the need, just change it to say, "Winner of ______"
    There you go, there's your digital award.

*** I wonder if BP might think this is just a little too close to arrogant for his comfort?

One again, thanks to those that help out.

P.S.
    We have a saying at work, maybe it applies here, maybe not, you decide.

Try to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.
    This is normally a good thing.

*** Yes, I recommend this to you.

*** And thanks again to you!

*** Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    I guess close this mods...since the mods are not on board with this go ahead and close this as their is no point to discuss anything further.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 13, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    I guess close this mods...since the mods are not on board with this go ahead and close this as their is no point to discuss anything further.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
    BP - to be clear, you can organize anything you like, every user has the freedom to change avatars on their own. I was simply making it clear that any sort of user tagging or rating is something we at dgrin will never do. It's right up there with spam and ads.

secondly, I really hate closing threads. I want this bickering to end just as much as you, but closing is a cop out. Much like the flea market and my price policing policy over there, I believe the "silent treatment" is the best tool.

thanks,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited May 13, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    BP - to be clear, you can organize anything you like, every user has the freedom to change avatars on their own. I was simply making it clear that any sort of user tagging or rating is something we at dgrin will never do. It's right up there with spam and ads.

secondly, I really hate closing threads. I want this bickering to end just as much as you, but closing is a cop out. Much like the flea market and my price policing policy over there, I believe the "silent treatment" is the best tool.

thanks,

I am not sure how a small award that is handed out as kind of a digital trophy is like spam and ads, but oh well.

I just suggested closing it cause most other forums, that is most likely is what would happen, when sometihng has been put to rest as this clearly has.

I would encourge people to go look at photozo.com and see what they have offered there members, not obtrusive and people seem to enjoy them, but like I said, oh well...Life goes on. If you would not like to close the thread that is fine with me. Thanks for taking the time.
    www.brandonperron.com
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Being an admin and mod on many forums.... I think a note like this would have handled it from the very beginning... and stopped any flaming / rudeness / hurt feelings or whatever... just my 2cents and I have no problems with this board or how things are handled, nor does any outcome to my idear sway me from my smug account or dgrin - I lub smuggy :D. I'm just mainly a lurker (is that the term?) so, i'ma gonna go back to lurking now, I saw my shadow and scurred myself.
    We at DGrin than you for your comments on the award idea and all ideas on this forum to make it a better community. It's members like you that make this board what it is. I will bring this topic up with the other Admins / Mods. Thank you.

Then maybe a day or 2 later:
    At this time we have decided not to do the digital awards for online contests. Thank you for your idea and we'll keep the topic open for discussion later down the road on the Admin Board.

Oh and I'll be MIA for a week starting next Wednesday - I'll be in Viet Nam at a wedding. Stay tuned for photos. V57*

V57 = RTCW Multiplayer Vsay command - WOOHOO!
    edited May 16, 2008
    DJT wrote:
    Being an admin and mod on many forums.... I think a note like this would have handled it from the very beginning... and stopped any flaming / rudeness / hurt feelings or whatever... just my 2cents and I have no problems with this board or how things are handled, nor does any outcome to my idear sway me from my smug account or dgrin - I lub smuggy :D. I'm just mainly a lurker (is that the term?) so, i'ma gonna go back to lurking now, I saw my shadow and scurred myself.

Then maybe a day or 2 later:

Oh and I'll be MIA for a week starting next Wednesday - I'll be in Viet Nam at a wedding. Stay tuned for photos. V57*

V57 = RTCW Multiplayer Vsay command - WOOHOO!

I like how doctor IT handled this...I would rather know the truth then have them sugar coat something that would never happen. But thanks for your comments.
    www.brandonperron.com
    edited May 16, 2008
    You're Welcome thumb.gif But who's surger coating, maybe they would, I don't know, I don't really know anyone here of this board except maybe 2 members. But on the forums I admin, I would actually bring it up for discussion and really mean those words I typed. But then again that's "life of djt.........."

Again, going back into lurking mode, DJT in uncharted area and scurred.

On a side note - I like the idea of some sort of digital award but on the mod/admin side of it, I see their point.

If you do a contest and need help in making a digital stamp / award for the winners signature, give me a pm.
    edited May 16, 2008
    DJT wrote:
    You're Welcome thumb.gif But who's surger coating, maybe they would, I don't know, I don't really know anyone here of this board except maybe 2 members. But on the forums I admin, I would actually bring it up for discussion and really mean those words I typed. But then again that's "life of djt.........."

Again, going back into lurking mode, DJT in uncharted area and scurred.

On a side note - I like the idea of some sort of digital award but on the mod/admin side of it, I see their point.

If you do a contest and need help in making a digital stamp / award for the winners signature, give me a pm.

I am sorry I misunderstood your post, I thought the qoutes your wrote is what you would tell someone just to be nice...but I misunderstood.

I appreciate you offer of helping, someone is involved in helping and I would love as many thoughts on ideas as possible, so I think I am going to work in conjunction with who ever wants to help create an award and collaborate and come up with a final outcome...if you want to put something together and PM me I will give you my email address and you can send it over to me.
    www.brandonperron.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 16, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    I like how doctor IT handled this...I would rather know the truth then have them sugar coat something that would never happen. But thanks for your comments.
    there's a first lol3.gif

DJT don't be "scurred" rolleyes1.gif Other things we never do are talk down or above our members. lame-o canned responses like you suggested are better left for HR people at your office. I'm the real deal, a person, I tell it like it is, like a participant of this forum who happens to push a mop around at night. That and sometimes I can't follow every single thread. Frankly, this one turned into a wiley debate long before I was able to read it. But hey, nothing wrong with wiley debates, in fact, we encourage them.
    nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited May 17, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    there's a first lol3.gif
    Where's my prize for 1st? clap.gif

EDIT - crap... I read it wrong... the first isn't for me :( bummer.
    I am sorry I misunderstood your post, I thought the qoutes your wrote is what you would tell someone just to be nice...but I misunderstood
    No problem. I'm often get mis-read.

So, if my responses came out that I was attacking the mod here, then please forgive me, I was only trying to be helpful NOT lame-o. If the above poster would have maybe read the posts after my first, maybe he would understand that I too am a real person and that's how I would have handled it.

I did not intend this to be a debate on how to handle a board feud, I offered my suggestion and that was it. You mis-read my intent and nothing more.

Now can we MOVE FORWARD or ON or whatever...