Spring Storms

jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
edited May 5, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi All,

It's been a while since I've been able to participate in the froums. :( Things have slowed down a bit for me lately, and I've been able to get out and shoot a few of the spring storms that have come through around here.

Here are a few images from recently:

290133404_8S5zS-L.jpg

Story behind the pic:
A friend and I headed up into Central OK on May 2nd to hopefully chase a few storms around that area. We ended up chasing a small LP (low precipitation) supercell through Oklahoma City, and up to the north east. This was the most beautiful storm I had ever witnessed. It was moving quite slowly to the north east, so we were able to stay with it for a while. When I found this green field of wheat, I knew it was time to stop and capture the above.

Technical Detials: Shot with my Canon 30D and 20mm prime lens. F16 and 1/60 second. In photoshop, I bracketted each shot +/- 1 EV using the original RAW image. I then created 3 seperate panos in Panorama Factory (one at -1 EV, 0 EV, and +1 EV). These three panos were merged into a tone mapped HDR using Photomatix Pro. Finally, pulled the image into photoshop to clean it up some.

290160515_JG48R-L.jpg

I captured this shot during an intense storm just south of Downtown Dallas. I was so surprised when this bolt struck that I almost dropped my video camera. :)

James

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    James, beautiful shots. For sure nothing can compare to a light show by nature.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    I always look forward to your storm shots!! clap.gif

And these surely aren't disappointing. Wow the size of the last one is quite amazing. So you were videoing it as well?
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I always look forward to your storm shots!! clap.gif

And these surely aren't disappointing. Wow the size of the last one is quite amazing. So you were videoing it as well?

Thanks Schmoo! I appreciate it. I sure wish I could spend more time around here, but time is at a premedium for me lately.

I have started videoing more now. My wife and I bought a Canon HV20 video camera, and I've started lugging it around when I go out shooting. I have a few videos up here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jlangford92

I'm working on the video from the storm in the first capture.

James