Options

Lightroom Purchase

rcreamer824rcreamer824 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
edited May 17, 2008 in Finishing School
I did a quick check in reference to purchasing Lightroom and found something interesting. As an educator one site (through a google search) states that I can purchase a copy for $100, but the Adobe site lists it for $299. Is this the same version? The boxes on both sites are the same, and I know as an educator I am limited to purchasing only one per year. It seems like a great deal, but as they say, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Can someone help?!?!?

Comments

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    I did a quick check in reference to purchasing Lightroom and found something interesting. As an educator one site (through a google search) states that I can purchase a copy for $100, but the Adobe site lists it for $299. Is this the same version? The boxes on both sites are the same, and I know as an educator I am limited to purchasing only one per year. It seems like a great deal, but as they say, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Can someone help?!?!?

Hi,

I have an education version purchased for $85 and it is full version with all standard licences, etc. I get all my education version softwares through campustech.com and have been 100% happy with them. It's all legal stuff, Adobe offers HUGE discounts on all thier software for the education version. Retail vs. Education - it is usually the exact same software with an "educational version" stamp on the box and the splash screen. You have to be a student or staff to purchase the software (as you know).

Hope this helps.

Lisa
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Adobe discount
    Adobe.com has its own education store

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?event=displayEduConditi
    ons&store=OLS-EDU&nr=1

Usually the academic versions dont come with written documentation, although I am not sure if the full version does either.

I think the $85 sounds a little cheap even for an upgrade or older version.

Just click on the I qualify button and you can check out prices.

Have fun rolleyes1.gif

Rog
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    On top of that. Adobe no longer restricts thier license #'s for software.

If you are no longer a teacher and want to upgrade. THat's fine. You'll ge tthe upgrade price. A serial number is a serial number to Adobe now :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    I have used Academic Superstore for a very long time......and according to what i have found 99.999% of the academic versions are actually full retail versions at academic prices........
    Some place tauting academic software do not allow returns for any reason....so be wary of the policies of any place selling discounted software......I was pointed to Academic Superstore by the Manager of the University Bookstore at WSU when I was looking for Genuine Fractals and some other software for personal and departmental use......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    I didn't have any issues upgrading the educational version of CS2 to CS3. I wouldn't expect it to be an issue for Lightroom. Which only makes sense. If students can't upgrade their products after they're no longer students, they're much more likely to use something else (or to not upgrade).

Speaking of which, is there any upgrade path to Lightroom? I downloaded the trial version, and I'd think about it for $100, but not for $300.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    On top of that. Adobe no longer restricts thier license #'s for software.

If you are no longer a teacher and want to upgrade. THat's fine. You'll ge tthe upgrade price. A serial number is a serial number to Adobe now :D

I wonder about the ethics/ legality of this. My son is a student. can he buy it for me as a Father's day gift?
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    mwgrice wrote:
    I didn't have any issues upgrading the educational version of CS2 to CS3. I wouldn't expect it to be an issue for Lightroom. Which only makes sense. If students can't upgrade their products after they're no longer students, they're much more likely to use something else (or to not upgrade).

Speaking of which, is there any upgrade path to Lightroom? I downloaded the trial version, and I'd think about it for $100, but not for $300.
    All current upgrades, through 1.4.1 are free with initial purchase, 1.0 - 1.3.1.

Adobe will not announce any upgrade paths or prices till the New full release (likely V2.0) occurs, which also has yet to be announced. Even the possibility or not of another dot release is unannounced (though, if we have one it will likely also be a free upgrade).

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I wonder about the ethics/ legality of this. My son is a student. can he buy it for me as a Father's day gift?
    I doubt this is completely legal. But I know for a fact it happens every day.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:

Actually as it was told to me.....it is quite legal....the restriction is for the purchase of it....not the use of it.....so a student goes to the bookstore, or any place they can get a discount and purchases a product...then gives it away as a gift....NO foul/ No harm and you can even register it in your name as there is no where did you buy it questions asked...just the key code.......actually I have had many academics offer to purchase for me now that I have left academia a couple years ago....with the stipulation that I might offer a free portrait or event shoot for them and discounted prints from these shoots:D........Gotta Keep KARMA balanced you know.mwink.gif

I do not agree with what I felt was not quite right and that was to buy super low priced Academic Priced software and resell on ebay for nearly the full retail price.....to me that is abuse of the system of Academic discounts.....but students and others that have the needed ID's have done this to make extra maoney or even to pay for next semesters classes....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 13, 2008
    Thanks for that Art thumb.gif
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Even better is to befriend someone at Adobe and get their F&F price mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks for that Art thumb.gif

Glad I could help.

• Options
    Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    LR - Inexpensive & Full Version
    I purchased the 1.0 version from Academic Superstore for $100.00 and upgraded to the 1.4 version by downloading from Adobe. Looks & works perfectly fine.

Tom
    Tom Potter
    www.tompotterphotography.com
    Email: tom@tompotterphotography.com
    Landscape, Nature Photographic Prints For Sale
    Focusing On Colorado
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Actually as it was told to me.....it is quite legal....the restriction is for the purchase of it....not the use of it.....so a student goes to the bookstore, or any place they can get a discount and purchases a product...then gives it away as a gift....NO foul/ No harm and you can even register it in your name as there is no where did you buy it questions asked...just the key code.......actually I have had many academics offer to purchase for me now that I have left academia a couple years ago....with the stipulation that I might offer a free portrait or event shoot for them and discounted prints from these shoots:D........Gotta Keep KARMA balanced you know.mwink.gif

I do not agree with what I felt was not quite right and that was to buy super low priced Academic Priced software and resell on ebay for nearly the full retail price.....to me that is abuse of the system of Academic discounts.....but students and others that have the needed ID's have done this to make extra maoney or even to pay for next semesters classes....

well I have the beta of 2 through August. As soon as the real 2 comes out, I think i will have smy son get if for me. I think they carry it at the University book store.