Options

Pro Feature Request (and an ultimatum)

brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
edited May 10, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Just curious if there is a way for me to order photos for my customers without having to turn on the shopping cart for the world to see? The reason I ask is because I am having to do self fulfilment, so I need to order photos through the site, but I don't want customers to be able to order photos.

Which leads me to...

Packages... or else. I LOVE SMUGMUG, but if the packages/coupons issue doesn't get sorted out soon I'm gonna have to bail for another provider. I just spent that past month doing order fulfilment for a dance studio. I don't have that much spare time. I need to be able to offer packages through the website, and it needs to be integrated and seamless. Hacks and workarounds just don't cut it for these parents who are having a hard time as it is with this darn interweb.

Please, Smumug, I don't want to leave you, but you need to get this figured out, and you need to do it soon. I know you don't talk about future upgrades and things in the works, but this seems to be a dealbreaker for a lot of people. Maybe it wouldn't be bad idea to "leak" some info about the progress of this stuff.

I don't want to leave you. Don't make me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Hi, thanks for posting. I don't have a way for you to order photos without having printing turned on.

So, set portfolio pricing, make the pricing pro-profit oriented, but when you order, logged in, the prices are default thumb.gif

Packages are truly something very important to us, we know they are important to you as well. All I can say is "stay tuned" we promise not to let you and our pros down.
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, thanks for posting. I don't have a way for you to order photos without having printing turned on.

So, set portfolio pricing, make the pricing pro-profit oriented, but when you order, logged in, the prices are default thumb.gif

That is what I did. On a more positive note, the new shopping cart is a MAJOR upgrade and made life much easier. Also, showing the filenames in the shopping cart was a lifesaver. If not for the new shopping cart I would be in serious trouble, so I'm glad you were able to roll that out. clap.gif
    Andy wrote:
    Packages are truly something very important to us, we know they are important to you as well. All I can say is "stay tuned" we promise not to let you and our pros down.

I hope so. I really hope you get it figured out soon.
  • Options
    James BroomeJames Broome Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    brjphoto wrote:
    Packages... or else. I LOVE SMUGMUG, but if the packages/coupons issue doesn't get sorted out soon I'm gonna have to bail for another provider.

Please, Smumug, I don't want to leave you, but you need to get this figured out, and you need to do it soon. I know you don't talk about future upgrades and things in the works, but this seems to be a dealbreaker for a lot of people. Maybe it wouldn't be bad idea to "leak" some info about the progress of this stuff.

Same here. The only two issues I have with SmugMug are coupons and packages. Both are needed in a BIG way.
    James Broome • Tampa, FL
    www.jamesbroome.com
    My SportsShooter.com Profile
    Canon user since 1984 • Photoshop user since 1991
    1D Mk IIn • 24-70 f/2.8L • 70-200 f/2.8L • 300 f/2.8L
  • Options
    GottriaGottria Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Same here. The only two issues I have with SmugMug are coupons and packages. Both are needed in a BIG way.

Another request for coupons and packages, I can't wait!!!!
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    I know this issue has been a hot topic, but I lost sales this week simply because I couldn't offer packages and discount pricing. I would welcome this upgrade with open arms.

Thanks
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    bnlearlebnlearle Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    I signed up over a year ago and was told "it's high on our list." I took that as "it's right around the corner." A little over a year later nothing has changed so I chose not to renew my account - which is a bummer because customer service here is awesome :(

I'm sure it's not intended, but it seems like the whole not telling us what's up is a policy that enables SM to not have to tell us that they just don't care about this feature while they don't lose pros who want the feature.
    Andy wrote:
    All I can say is "stay tuned" we promise not to let you and our pros down.
    I gave it a full year. That's a really long time. I know it's not intentional, but to me this is the definition of letting the pros down :(
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    bnlearle wrote:
    I signed up over a year ago and was told "it's high on our list." I took that as "it's right around the corner." A little over a year later nothing has changed so I chose not to renew my account - which is a bummer because customer service here is awesome :(

I'm sure it's not intended, but it seems like the whole not telling us what's up is a policy that enables SM to not have to tell us that they just don't care about this feature while they don't lose pros who want the feature.

I gave it a full year. That's a really long time. I know it's not intentional, but to me this is the definition of letting the pros down :(
    Yeah it really sucks and I know and feel your pain. These features are stuck behind some other stuff that has to happen first and that stuff took a lot longer than we'd hoped. The good news is that that stuff is in pre-test internally now so we're gaining on it!

I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. But I can promise that we will deliver thumb.gif
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah it really sucks and I know and feel your pain. These features are stuck behind some other stuff that has to happen first and that stuff took a lot longer than we'd hoped. The good news is that that stuff is in pre-test internally now so we're gaining on it!

I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. But I can promise that we will deliver thumb.gif
    Did I just read this right? You are testing COUPONS and PACKAGES internally?? wings.gif Do you need a beta tester? mwink.gif
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Did I just read this right? You are testing COUPONS and PACKAGES internally?? wings.gif Do you need a beta tester? mwink.gif

Don't get your hopes up just yet, thats not the way I read it.

If I'm reading Andy's post correctly there were other technical hurdles that needed to be resolved before coupons/packages could be worked on.

Its those "other" things that they are testing internally, and once they are stable the framework is laid for coupons/packages.

I don't have much choice ths year, I renew in a couple days and have an event already lined up and advertised for early June, but if coupons don't happen in the next 6-8 months I'm going to start seriously looking elsewhere. Especially since there are other issues I'm less than thrilled about that seem to be totally unimportant.

It would not be without regret, SM customer service is top notch when it comes to print issues.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    No, I'm sorry ... you didn't read it right... I said we were testing internally, the thing that needs to be done before we can get coupons going....
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    No, I'm sorry ... you didn't read it right... I said we were testing internally, the thing that needs to be done before we can get coupons going....
    Oh... But, the offer of beta testing is still good :)

David