Fun Prom Candids...

RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
edited May 11, 2008 in People
It was a blast... The venue was DARK, but I think I did a decent job with the limitation of lack of light. Enjoy...

290340015_Wmti4-O.jpg

290340077_UWhHW-O.jpg

290340128_PRHfx-O.jpg

290340182_S3XHW-O.jpg

290340231_N56KC-O.jpg

290340280_EZLkb-O.jpg

290340325_TrAMD-O.jpg

290340376_WYMBm-O.jpg

290340428_irdiG-O.jpg
Ryan McGill

My Gear

Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    nice shots. what kind of flash/ diffuser were you using?
  • len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    yeah, you've got a lot of light in those photos, even in the background. How did you do that?
    Canon 5d mii, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 35mm 1.4L, 70-200mm IS L
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    Looks like everyone was having fun!
    Growing with Dgrin

• PaulcaoPaulcao Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    I am also interested in your lighting setup. Anyways, I think I would prefer dark backgrounds. The full lighting makes it look a little fake.ne_nau.gif Nevertheless these shots are fun.thumb.gif
    edited May 5, 2008
    len20 wrote:
    yeah, you've got a lot of light in those photos, even in the background. How did you do that?

here is guessing lightsherere and high iso
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:

or a bounced qflash? I shot 6 proms this season and good good light with that.
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Yeah, nice shots. But I'm guessing there's plenty of lights above the dance floor. Just a lil' bit too much shine on some faces to be a Lighstphere.
    ʞ1└0
  • mmtorunommtoruno Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    I'm eager to learn the ligting situation
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    nice shots. what kind of flash/ diffuser were you using?
    Thanks Josh! Answer coming shortly. mwink.gif
    len20 wrote:
    Wait for it... :D
    leaforte wrote:
    Looks like everyone was having fun!
    It was loads of fun...
    Paulcao wrote:
    I am also interested in your lighting setup. Anyways, I think I would prefer dark backgrounds. The full lighting makes it look a little fake.ne_nau.gif Nevertheless these shots are fun.thumb.gif
    FAKE... nope, they are real. :ivar The answer is comming up! Thanks!
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Close, but no cigar. I will give half credit. thumb.gif High ISO is part of the equation.
    or a bounced flash? I shot 6 proms this season and good good light with that.
    Ding! Ding! Ding!
    Bounced flash and high ISO will create this effect. I made the flash do all the work. For more information... check the EXIF. deal.gif I shot these in manual. The settings you can check for yourself. :D
    Kilo wrote:
    Yeah, nice shots. But I'm guessing there's plenty of lights above the dance floor. Just a lil' bit too much shine on some faces to be a Lighstphere.
    Thanks! Nope, it was DARK!!! I am prettty sure I am the only one that got shots that are usable. Lights were pretty much off. Shine on the faces was from sweat. It was unreal hot.
    mmtoruno wrote:
    I'm eager to learn the ligting situation
    Hope I answered your question. :D
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    I went and checked your EXIF. Very nice work. I see you use your 5D to its potential. Congratulations on some fine images. I'm sure the kids will love them.

Ah, to be young again. . . .
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
    edited May 6, 2008
    Tommyboy wrote:
    I went and checked your EXIF. Very nice work. I see you use your 5D to its potential. Congratulations on some fine images. I'm sure the kids will love them.

Ah, to be young again. . . .

Thanks Tommy Boy! I try my best to make the 5D work for me at its limits. It does a fine job. I have not had any purchases yet. I am trying to break into the market. It has been DIFICULT! people will pay for a lot less quality just because the photographer/s has been around since the begining of time.

To be young again indeed!!!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • KiloKilo Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Ah, I'm just now seeing where it says "the venue was dark" on the first photo. Reason why I thought there were lights above is `cos of some places I've been to or have seen for dancing, plays or seminars, that have a lot of lights above the floor. That is really cool how you got all those photos to have all that light from it actually being dark.
    ʞ1└0
    edited May 6, 2008
    Kilo wrote:
    Ah, I'm just now seeing where it says "the venue was dark" on the first photo. Reason why I thought there were lights above is `cos of some places I've been to or have seen for dancing, plays or seminars, that have a lot of lights above the floor. That is really cool how you got all those photos to have all that light from it actually being dark.

No worries! Many thanks!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • The SlothThe Sloth Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    #8 gives away how much lighting was actually in the room, you can see where the ambient red lighting towards the back. they look awesome, were you bouncing the flash off the ceiling? how high was the ceiling?

sorry, what's EXIF?
    You can see it all here.
    If they dont want their picture taken, then please hide or leave. :D
    edited May 6, 2008
    The Sloth wrote:
    #8 gives away how much lighting was actually in the room, you can see where the ambient red lighting towards the back. they look awesome, were you bouncing the flash off the ceiling? how high was the ceiling?

sorry, what's EXIF?
    EXIF is the embedded metadata associated with the images. Right click accessible. Yes, off the ceiling. The ceiling was about as high as a standard gym.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited May 6, 2008

FAKE... nope, they are real. :ivar The answer is comming up! Thanks!

I wasn't saying that the photos were fake. I said they looked fake as in I didn't like the effect. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my original post. That's all, just a personal preference.
    edited May 6, 2008
    Paulcao wrote:
    I wasn't saying that the photos were fake. I said they looked fake as in I didn't like the effect. Sorry if that wasn't clear from my original post. That's all, just a personal preference.
    No worries. No offense taken. :D
    It is one of those give and take kind of things... Yes, it takes away from atmosphere, but shows them in the midst of their peers having fun. The ambiance of the Prom is muted but the emotions and drama is brought to life. Or that is how I envision it. tongue3.gif Many thanks for your comments and opinions. Greatly appreciated!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited May 6, 2008
    Yeah, it's definitly give and take...guess we can't always have the best of both worldsne_nau.gif
  • mmtorunommtoruno Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Bounced flash and high ISO will create this effect.

That's it? No diffuser, nothing??
    Thanks for sharing..
    edited May 7, 2008
    mmtoruno wrote:
    That's it? No diffuser, nothing??
    Thanks for sharing..
    Scout's Honor!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Soooo just a regular old bounce card setup. Flash aimed straight up with the bounce card shooting it forward?

I have one of those i never use, and then i have a full blown hand-held mini-umbrella bounce setup my dad got me i've yet to use.

Im shooting a sweet 16 and i'd like to get results like yours
    edited May 8, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    Soooo just a regular old bounce card setup. Flash aimed straight up with the bounce card shooting it forward?

I have one of those i never use, and then i have a full blown hand-held mini-umbrella bounce setup my dad got me i've yet to use.

As I understand it, the key ingredient is the high iso --1250 in this case.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    It's a combination of a number of things:
    • The high ISO makes it possible, but doesn't cover all the bases. It does allow the flash to appear that much more powerful.
    • The flash technique provides light in a way that those close to the camera/flash aren't nuked and there's enough light for those further away to make the discernable.
    • But, the key, is the slower shutter speed (one, at least, was at 1/125). This allows some of the ambient to come through (what there is of it). This can be see in the the last couple of images - there's noticeable flash fall-off, but there's enough ambient that the mixing is working well.
    edited May 8, 2008
    Vycor wrote:

What does the "Full blown handheld mini-umbrella bounce setup" look like? headscratch.gif

What camera are you using?
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited May 8, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Yes and no... Scott has a better explanation.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited May 8, 2008
    It's a combination of a number of things:
    • The high ISO makes it possible, but doesn't cover all the bases. It does allow the flash to appear that much more powerful.
    • The flash technique provides light in a way that those close to the camera/flash aren't nuked and there's enough light for those further away to make the discernable.
    • But, the key, is the slower shutter speed (one, at least, was at 1/125). This allows some of the ambient to come through (what there is of it). This can be see in the the last couple of images - there's noticeable flash fall-off, but there's enough ambient that the mixing is working well.
    Well put. For instance... If I did not want to "Stop" action I would have used 1/60 or 1/80. Then I could drop to 800 ISO. So, at 400 ISO 1/20 or 1/40. For this venue. (VERY DARK)
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    What does the "Full blown handheld mini-umbrella bounce setup" look like? headscratch.gif

What camera are you using?

Nikon D200 right now, when I shoot my event i'll have a D300... My dad got me this for christmas. I've yet to use it. Im sure it'll have nice results. Its really bulky and theres a remote shutter button that I use so i can still hold it, but it should give me nice results. But i may opt for my bounce card or my lightsphere... but still, i gotta give it a try since it was a gift and it looks like it'll do a nice job:

flash.jpg
  • JimmyZJimmyZ Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Great lighting but you seem to be getting a lot of wide angle distortion. What lens were you using?
    edited May 10, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    Nikon D200 right now, when I shoot my event i'll have a D300... My dad got me this for christmas. I've yet to use it. Im sure it'll have nice results. Its really bulky and theres a remote shutter button that I use so i can still hold it, but it should give me nice results. But i may opt for my bounce card or my lightsphere... but still, i gotta give it a try since it was a gift and it looks like it'll do a nice job:

flash.jpg

I'd like to see some shots take with this.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Vycor wrote:
    I'm thinking you would want to test this before taking it out on a gig - just to see if you can use it as intended and if the results warrant the extra weight/bluk. ne_nau.gif