wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
edited May 6, 2008 in Landscapes
Predawn, Joshua Tree National Park
420-c0407.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    walter, great location, great time of year. why didnt ya wait for the suns glow? or was there none to be found on that day?

btw, im still working on the zzyzz shots....i messed up alot that day,,,one of those homer days....
    plus i cant find my 70-200 hood....it might still be by a cactus somewhere....:cry
    Aaron Nelson
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2008
    walter, great location, great time of year. why didnt ya wait for the suns glow? or was there none to be found on that day?

btw, im still working on the zzyzz shots....i messed up alot that day,,,one of those homer days....
    plus i cant find my 70-200 hood....it might still be by a cactus somewhere....:cry

I couldn't get the line I wanted and wasn't happy with the composition so I moved on. A 'Homer' day. I got some more from that morning, just haven't got to them yet. Was thinking of a shot to complement this one:
    400-j0144.jpg

So is the DSC cool? If you lost the hood near the buildings it'll probably turn up in the lost and found. The place is scoured by students through May. Is the hood marked with what it is? I'll ask if it turned up at the end of the month.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your shots.

I may be doing a scouting sortie into St. George and Zion later this month. I like doing a 2-3 day trip into new areas checking things out for a longer trip (probably in the fall). So far I think a day trip to Zion, and then the Dinosaur Walkway before I go home. Mountain Meadows going in? Is Zion still considered Mojave Desert? Any tips?
    Anybody can do it.
    edited May 6, 2008
    dsc was great, there is a old boat lying next to an old palm in the parking lot there...i will work the shots next weekend...
    my favorite shots was taken by a little pond halfway between the freeway and to the buildings, just off the side of the road, some reeds will tip off the location....
    btw, find my hood!

as for your st.george trip, pm me your tele # tomorrow and i will call you....
    snow canyon is the place to be this month....!
    today there are yellows everywhere...i didnt have any good light so maybe tomorrow will be better....
    yuccas will be in 1 -2 weeks...seriously will be grand
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 6, 2008
    dsc was great, there is a old boat lying next to an old palm in the parking lot there...i will work the shots next weekend...
    my favorite shots was taken by a little pond halfway between the freeway and to the buildings, just off the side of the road, some reeds will tip off the location....
    btw, find my hood!

as for your st.george trip, pm me your tele # tomorrow and i will call you....
    snow canyon is the place to be this month....!
    today there are yellows everywhere...i didnt have any good light so maybe tomorrow will be better....
    yuccas will be in 1 -2 weeks...seriously will be grand

I'll tromp around and take a look on my way out. It's not that far off the fwy. If you lost it out there, there's not much chance it'll make it to the L&F. But it'll probably be right where it was left.

??
    --

I'll be out tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be able to wrap up shooting for my wildflower guide, at least for this year. Yucca whipplei, rubber rabbitbrush and I think yet another of the 26 varieties of lupine that grow in CA. I'm pretty sure if I get in and stomp around the brush with the snakes I'll find one or two more species to confuse me.

Is there a BLM office in St. George?

Doc Springer's lifeboat is a trip. You meet any of the guys out there? That weekend was the Desert Symposium. The attendees probably were off on their camping trip by Sunday. I usually go every year, but the workshop took priority.

-
    Anybody can do it.
    edited May 6, 2008
    thats a great shot of the little pond....im afraid its better than mine...

the hood likely rolled out of my backdoor when i opened the door to get to my tripod...i dont know....i cant remember were i last used it out there....

there is a blm & forest services here in stg

i didnt meet anyone......ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 6, 2008
    thats a great shot of the little pond....im afraid its better than mine...

the hood likely rolled out of my backdoor when i opened the door to get to my tripod...i dont know....i cant remember were i last used it out there....

there is a blm & forest services here in stg

i didnt meet anyone......ne_nau.gif

I just wanted to make sure that was the pond. Good eye. I'll check around there and in the L&F. The guys that live there have built a shrine with the wierd stuff they find on the road. A lens hood would make a snazzy crown. You mentioned the boat, you got in by the buildings. Was wondering if you met anyone on the grounds. Every year they have a symposium. About 20-30 scientists of all sorts; paleo, geo, -ologists, botanists and what-not (I'm a what-not), get together and present papers, etc. We go on field trips, listen to history talks, BS. Sunday about half the symposium goes home, the other half goes on a field trip that lasts a couple days or more. Usually follow a theme. Last year was Colorado River geology. Some talks/trips, although the subject can seem boring, is a learning experience. Like I learned I can sleep standing up,... with my eyes open. The speakers are so revved up over their subjects it'd just be rude to lay on the ground and snooze.

Better run. Wildflowers are awake now.
    Anybody can do it.