A few shots from the track

ZeeZee Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited May 8, 2008 in Sports
I've been working on shooting motorcycles for a little while now. It's still hard to catch these guys when they're going by at 100+....but it's fun.

I think it's about time I update my watermark too :D

C&C always appreciated. I could use a few tips - this stuff is hard :)

289629364_vAQwr-L-1.jpg

289627152_VDZZu-L-1.jpg

290383388_bhsQ6-L.jpg

290067733_6FxX3-L.jpg

289695772_mPpRN-L.jpg

290304425_tsjc9-L.jpg

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    I like the last 4 of this series. Good angles- sharp- and fill the frame. Nice job! thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • ZeeZee Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Thank you. I was experimenting a bit with the first one. I usually try and fill the frame but I've seen some very nice shots from AMA and Moto GP where the bike is almost secondary in the picture. Of course, they have a much more interesting background than we do out here in the desert :D
  • zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Looks like you have a good panning technique. So my main comments would be on composition.
    As a series, there are too many that are tight shots. I would mix it up a bit, tight, loose, pan, head on, going away etc.
    For me #2 and #5 are the biggest issues (and it's really not that big). I think those are missed shots because of the front tires on both. #2 has been cut off and #5 is too close to the edge. If these were to get printed and framed, they would be cut even more. There is nothing wrong with filling the frame or going for the tight shots but these are almost in between.
    Also, don't over do the tilted perspective. Again, refering to these as a set, once I get past the first shot I feel myself tilting my head a little left, then right, then left etc.
    I think I like the last shot the best. Maybe even tighter?

Jeff
    edited May 6, 2008
    zed wrote:
    Looks like you have a good panning technique. So my main comments would be on composition.
    As a series, there are too many that are tight shots. I would mix it up a bit, tight, loose, pan, head on, going away etc.
    For me #2 and #5 are the biggest issues (and it's really not that big). I think those are missed shots because of the front tires on both. #2 has been cut off and #5 is too close to the edge. If these were to get printed and framed, they would be cut even more. There is nothing wrong with filling the frame or going for the tight shots but these are almost in between.
    Also, don't over do the tilted perspective. Again, refering to these as a set, once I get past the first shot I feel myself tilting my head a little left, then right, then left etc.
    I think I like the last shot the best. Maybe even tighter?

Jeff

Thank you for the suggestions - It's nice to get someone else's perspective on these things.

I completey agree that those two shots would be better had I captured the front wheel.

I started shooting motorcycles because lots of people just wanted a picture of themselves on the track. They really didn't seem to care weather it was a great photo, as long as they could identify themselves, they were happy.

There are several guys at the track that have that market cornered - they shoot low rez stop action stuff and I think it's fairly boring, visually. Even though I can make some money on it, it's very unsatisfying work. I thought it would be fun to experiment with some different stuff and learn proper technique in the process.

I was experimenting a bit with tilting the camera and I agree that it's very easy to over use it. I find it more appealing when the scenery naturally adds and angle across the frame - it doesn't looks so artificial....if that makes any sense.

290297320_ZmcjR-L.jpg

290526295_78uZV-L.jpg

290365558_o3yyi-L.jpg

289636947_qwGuT-L-1.jpg
  • zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Zee wrote:
    Thank you for the suggestions - It's nice to get someone else's perspective on these things.

I completey agree that those two shots would be better had I captured the front wheel.

I started shooting motorcycles because lots of people just wanted a picture of themselves on the track. They really didn't seem to care weather it was a great photo, as long as they could identify themselves, they were happy.

There are several guys at the track that have that market cornered - they shoot low rez stop action stuff and I think it's fairly boring, visually. Even though I can make some money on it, it's very unsatisfying work. I thought it would be fun to experiment with some different stuff and learn proper technique in the process.

I was experimenting a bit with tilting the camera and I agree that it's very easy to over use it. I find it more appealing when the scenery naturally adds and angle across the frame - it doesn't looks so artificial....if that makes any sense.

Makes total sense and I agree with everything else you said. Track day type photography seems to be about quantity more than quality.

Jeff
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Uh... I've shot BMX a few times so I have no business commenting on your shots... but I'm gonna anyway.
    I really like the comp in #1 saddly the BG is a detractor but if you clone out the wires and have a solid blue then it's a winner. (and there's nothing wrong with cloning out the wires)
    The tilted perspective thing... it works way better for some shots than others. The shots where the bike goes from one corner to the other seems to compliment the angle like #2 & #5 although I agree those are either too tight or not tight enough. The tilt doesn't work as well on the shots where when tilted the bike is now at an awkward angle as in #3
    If not for the unfortunate glare in the shield #4 would be my favorite. So with the cloned out wires #1 will be my favorite.
    Nice sharp subjects with panning so you have a bonus there, I would imagine that these would be more desirable than a stop action shot. Although I would venture to guess your good/bad ratio is not as good as the guys shooting stop action.
    edited May 7, 2008
    Thanks. I was actually thinking about cloning out the background in #1 but just never did. I'll give it a try and see how it turns out.

I do agree that the tilted camera angle looks much better when the subject is crossing the frame from one corner to the other - it looks a bit awkward when those two angles oppose each other.

As for the stop action shots, I'm sure they have a better keeper rate than I do. I just don't find them very pleasing to the eye.

Here are a few examples of shots I have purchased from the local guys:

This one is just boring to me - the focus is very soft and there is no blur of either wheels or chain. The colors are pretty washed out and dull as well.
    138054216_tSzDT-L-1.jpg

I actually like this shot, although the focus is still very soft and the coposition cut off part of my rear wheel.

But I bought it any way just like the rest of the guys because I thought it would be fun to have some shots of myself on the track. :D
    164473218_jWwqr-L.jpg
    edited May 7, 2008
    Is this better, or is the sky "too" blue?

291216629_h5SiE-XL.jpg
    edited May 7, 2008
    Looks believable to me, I wouldn't have noticed the blue had you not mentioned it.

As far as ratio's and keepers I don't think the second shot qualifies as a keeper. Of course if it was the only one there for you, and you bought it then... Did you buy them online or onsite?
    edited May 7, 2008
    I bought them online. Their websites leave a lot to be desired. Nowhere near as nice as Smugmug. The previews are very small with huge watermarks all over. It's very hard to judge the quality before you make your purchase. I was pretty disappointed in the quality seeing as both of those shots were sharpened pretty substantially. That was my reasoning for getting in to track photoraphy in the first place.

Most of my photography experience is from shooting skydivers in freefall (about 2000 jumps, 1500 with camera gear)
    edited May 7, 2008
    Nowhere near as nice as Smugmug.
    That's cause smugmug is the best!
    Skydiving, that'd be... interesting. I would definately need quite a few jumps under my belt before I could wory about getting a shot more than worrying about making sure I had my hand on the "cord"
    edited May 7, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    That's cause smugmug is the best!
    Skydiving, that'd be... interesting. I would definately need quite a few jumps under my belt before I could wory about getting a shot more than worrying about making sure I had my hand on the "cord"
    He he....no hands involved. It's all controlled with with a tiny switch between my teeth :D

138057536_wXe8R-M.jpg
    edited May 7, 2008
    HEY! another A-mount shooter, cool!
    If you haven't been you should have a look at http://www.dyxum.com/ great info, forum, and what not for the KM/alpha user. I run 2 a700's after coming in and upgrading from the KM 5d I wish I had kept one of my 5d's in hindsight it would've been a great beater.
    tiny teeth acuated switch? very Bond like.
    Is that the same camera your getting the track shots with? Obviously not strapped to your head while you are also racing...Right?
    edited May 7, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    HEY! another A-mount shooter, cool!
    If you haven't been you should have a look at http://www.dyxum.com/ great info, forum, and what not for the KM/alpha user. I run 2 a700's after coming in and upgrading from the KM 5d I wish I had kept one of my 5d's in hindsight it would've been a great beater.
    tiny teeth acuated switch? very Bond like.
    Is that the same camera your getting the track shots with? Obviously not strapped to your head while you are also racing...Right?

Sadly, no. I got rid of the 7D after some horrible back focus issues. I sent it back to Sony for recalibration but it didn't fix the problem. I absolutely love my Maxxum 7 (I still have it) but I just had too many issues with the 7D.

The track shots were all taken with a Nikon D200 and a Nikkor 80-200 2.8. I used a Sigma 2x TC on some of them.

And no, I can't use that helmet on the track lol. It's all custom carbon fiber but not quite solid enough to withstand a crash at those speeds :D
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    I like the second try much better thumb.gif,The front tire missing bugged me
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/