Pentax istD +manual lenses

zentricksterzentrickster Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
edited May 6, 2008 in Cameras
Greetings, new to the world of digital photography. I purchased a Pentax istD from KEH a few months ago on the premise the I would be able to use some of my collection on old Pentax K mount lenses.

In a nutshell I can,t get the camera to operate with the old lenses. Ive read the manual and its not really clear how to use the camera with the old (25 year old) Pentax and Vivitar lenses.

If anyone knows the trick I'd appreciate the tips.

Here is a pic I took while climbing the learning curve..

tia

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    I have the original *ist D. and at least one old Pentax Manual mount lens around. I'll see what I can post for you. I am sure though you have to shot in M or B, plus another setting so it isn't looking for auto exposure. (Off A on a modern lens).

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • zentricksterzentrickster Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    OK, I figured it out, In the "custom menu" there is a setting that needs to be turned on "set F other than A" default setting is off, you need to turn this on. "Enables shutter release when lens apeture is set other than A"

Now why doesnt the light meter in the camera work the manual lenses. I guess since the camera doesnt know what F stop you are using, In M mode the shutter speed is adjustable, so I guess you need a seperate light meter...

tia
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    It shoould still give you some kind of reading, just not set it for you. Try roling the dials when in M or TV or AV.

It should also still beep for in focus, even though you are hand focusing, IIRC.

Haven't tested yet. Maybe in an hour or so. DInner first!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook