Options

Moving a Big Cat - A Tomcat, that is

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
edited May 21, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Back in October 2006, the final Navy F-14 flight arrived at Republic Airport on Long Island to be retired. After spending the 18 months on display at the American Airpower Museum at the airport, it was ready to be moved to the Northrop-Grumman plant in Bethpage for permanent display.

Monday night (actually early Tuesday morning) the Tomcat began her final journey. Monday afternoon they lifted the Tomcat over the fence at the museum into the parking lot. Tuesday morning, around 2 am, they began the move, towing it on an 8-mile route to Bethpage, arriving at the plant a little after 4 am.

290317298_F2D2W-L.jpg

290316808_tp8qu-L-1.jpg

290312545_YgXnd-L-1.jpg

290310968_Gbtsk-L-1.jpg

290309405_qEkdm-L-1.jpg

Turn signals for a Tomcat!
290319965_LDxHA-L-1.jpg

290319794_Xgcbn-L-1.jpg

And the big move...
Cutting down the last of fence.
290796437_Rw5FP-L.jpg

290797776_iUXJQ-L.jpg

290798373_2AtNa-L.jpg

Crossing Long Island Rail Road
290801186_67Xx5-L.jpg

290799488_YqM4G-L.jpg

290800825_BeorW-L.jpg

290801525_dn8Eu-L.jpg

This is my friend Fred (also a SmugMugger) - he's the guy who always talks me into these crazy ideas - taking one of the 3,400 shots he took during the day and night :huh
290802345_E4thv-L.jpg

290802595_5JSjE-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    That is an awesome series of an incredible once-in-a-lifetime event! clap.gif

I wish I could have been there, but I'm on the other end of the country! :D
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    My favorite fighter. I thought they dropped it over the fence onto a runway so it could fly to Bethpage. mwink.gif
    I go to Briarcliffe College right beside Grumman will definitely check it out.

Kind of off topic, but you have pics of an F-18 landing at Laguardia? I go over there a lot to let the planes fly over my head.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    WHOOOOOOOOOAAAAA!!! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifthumb Really great shotsclap.gifclap.gifclap .......all we have left here are KC135s.......not much to photo after having had the B-1 [never got a good pic of it...I could not hold a steady cam if the dang thing were running or flyin] .....now all gone......:cry:cry
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Some amazing shots! You documented that unusual moving event very well!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Thanks! It was a long night, but one I wouldn't have missed for anything. And Art, there's nothing wrong with KC-135s, I'm an old tanker pilot!
    evoryware wrote:
    Kind of off topic, but you have pics of an F-18 landing at Laguardia? I go over there a lot to let the planes fly over my head.
    I shot these (and a few others) last summer - I think they did a fly over at one of the stadiums. I was at the Worlds Fair Marina lot. These are actually from the same squadron that the final Tomcat was out of.
    185328190_V4pyN-L.jpg

185328390_wgcGu-L.jpg
  • Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Ohh don't tell me they moved this the other day son of a... nobody bothered to tell me, i live down the road in lindenhurst from this
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Why was I thinking big furry cat when I opened this thread? headscratch.gif:D

I've really enjoyed being able to see your images here.
    Nice work. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    moose135 wrote:
    Thanks! It was a long night, but one I wouldn't have missed for anything. And Art, there's nothing wrong with KC-135s, I'm an old tanker pilot!

I shot these (and a few others) last summer - I think they did a fly over at one of the stadiums. I was at the Worlds Fair Marina lot. These are actually from the same squadron that the final Tomcat was out of.

Ahh yeah they had F-18 flyover's at a couple Yankee games I was at. One was the Cleveland vs Yankees game in the playoffs and the other was I believe Military Day at Yankee Stadium.
    Well I wouldn't be surprised if I ran into you at one of these airports. Happy spotting to you!
    thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    WOW....my hubby will have to take a peek at these thumb.gif
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Pretty darn neat, thanks!thumb.gif
  • Options
    toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Wow! I really want one of those in my garden. Thanks for letting is in on this.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    moose135 wrote:
    Back in October 2006, the final Navy F-14 flight arrived at Republic Airport on Long Island to be retired. After spending the 18 months on display at the American Airpower Museum at the airport, it was ready to be moved to the Northrop-Grumman plant in Bethpage for permanent display.

Monday night (actually early Tuesday morning) the Tomcat began her final journey. Monday afternoon they lifted the Tomcat over the fence at the museum into the parking lot. Tuesday morning, around 2 am, they began the move, towing it on an 8-mile route to Bethpage, arriving at the plant a little after 4 am.

Turn signals for a Tomcat!
    And the big move...
    Cutting down the last of fence.
    Crossing Long Island Rail Road
    This is my friend Fred (also a SmugMugger) - he's the guy who always talks me into these crazy ideas - taking one of the 3,400 shots he took during the day and night eek7.gif

Okay who else opened this thread thinking they were about to see a very FAT CAT rolleyes1.gif hands up ... awwww come on I couldn't possibly be the only person that didn't have a clue rolleyes1.gif

This is quite an extraudinary series of images Moose135 clap.gif
    It's taken quite a crew to move the Plane, glad you got to shoot the scene as it was happening.

Man you got yourself some excellent shots, and a piece of history all in one day ....... Well Done thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin