The Lagoon at the Fairgrounds........IR

PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
edited May 11, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Howdy All,

Another one from Saturday's Outing

original.jpg

Shot with Modded D70S, Thanks for taking a look!!
Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas

Comments

• saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    ABSOLUTELY amazing is my comment on this. There's not a thing I could nitpick about regarding this shot, even I tried very hard! From the crisp foreground to the overall composition, and the dreamlike appearance of the ferris wheel in the back and the beautifully rendered sky - everything works hand in hand and seamlessly creates a shot I'd actually pay money for (if I had any ne_nau.gif).

I absolutely love this infrared effect and am thinking of upgrading to the Nikon D300 once I get my tax return, which frees up my D70. Could you tell me, what kind of conversion kit you got, an how much it costs?

Greetings,
    Jana
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    saltydog wrote:
    ABSOLUTELY amazing is my comment on this. There's not a thing I could nitpick about regarding this shot, even I tried very hard! From the crisp foreground to the overall composition, and the dreamlike appearance of the ferris wheel in the back and the beautifully rendered sky - everything works hand in hand and seamlessly creates a shot I'd actually pay money for (if I had any ne_nau.gif).

I absolutely love this infrared effect and am thinking of upgrading to the Nikon D300 once I get my tax return, which frees up my D70. Could you tell me, what kind of conversion kit you got, an how much it costs?

Greetings,
    Jana

Howdy Jana,

Thank you very much for your very kind and thoughtful reply.

I had my camera modded at LIfePixel, here's the link to the site

http://www.lifepixel.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=2

Also, some folks have had good luck with using MaxMax

http://www.maxmax.com/IRCameraConversions.htm

Kindest Regards,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Thanks for the fast response Craig. I checked out the website and my camera - the site asks for my serial number. I cannot seem to find it on the cam and I have no idea where I stashed the paperwork that came with it 3 1/2 years ago. Can this # be located on the camera? And if so, where?

The first site you listed sounds good, $350 isn't all that much, I previously heard about $800 conversions. If you don't mind telling, which one did you choose? Standard, Enhanced, or Full? Just love how your camera renders these landscapes! By the way, what lens did you use?

Hope I am not asking too many questions.

Best wishes,
    Jana
    all that we see or seem
    is but a dream within a dream
    - Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
    http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Some of the leaves look clipped! Laughing.gif, just kidding with you...it is another amazing shot by you panther...All your shots make me want to get a modded d40...which I will one day...so kudos on another great shot!
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Ultra surreal. Cool.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    Very nice with a great look.
    I think the image may be tilted to the left a touch, but that's an easy fix.
    edited May 6, 2008
    saltydog wrote:
    Thanks for the fast response Craig. I checked out the website and my camera - the site asks for my serial number. I cannot seem to find it on the cam and I have no idea where I stashed the paperwork that came with it 3 1/2 years ago. Can this # be located on the camera? And if so, where?

The first site you listed sounds good, $350 isn't all that much, I previously heard about $800 conversions. If you don't mind telling, which one did you choose? Standard, Enhanced, or Full? Just love how your camera renders these landscapes! By the way, what lens did you use?

Hope I am not asking too many questions.

Best wishes,
    Jana

Howdy Jana,

I looked on my D70S and it's on the bottom of the camera right above the Nikon name plate in the "Plastic"

I have the original one that is like an R72 IR filter, when I got my mod they only offered one type so I didn't have to make a decision:D

I really like it even with the newer choices as you can move towards B&W or False Color processing very easily, where the others tend to be more B&W or Colorized.

I have become smitten with IR, so many wonderful opportunities, even when one would think the lighting isn't optimum for Color or regular shooting.

I definitely think it will be something that you would really enjoy.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited May 6, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    Some of the leaves look clipped! Laughing.gif, just kidding with you...it is another amazing shot by you panther...All your shots make me want to get a modded d40...which I will one day...so kudos on another great shot!

Howdy Brandon:D,

Thanks very much!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited May 6, 2008
    leaforte wrote:
    Ultra surreal. Cool.
    Thanks Lea!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2008
    As was said above.....ULTRA COOL.....your title tho made me think of something not so nice.....I have walked near lagoons near fairgrounds and well if the bacteria are on sticke it not so nice a place:D.....
    Thios pic is so awesome....

What lens do you do most, or all of your IR shooting with?
    The D70s uses what memory cards?

Will be moving from the KM group (now sony) to Nikon sometime soon so not sure if I want to pick up a used D70s or try to get a 3rd D300 for modding......not sure I could justify getting a D3 to modify if I go D3 over the D300........would really like all cams to be same model for idiot proofing....:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 7, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    As was said above.....ULTRA COOL.....your title tho made me think of something not so nice.....I have walked near lagoons near fairgrounds and well if the bacteria are on sticke it not so nice a place:D.....
    Thios pic is so awesome....

What lens do you do most, or all of your IR shooting with?
    The D70s uses what memory cards?

Will be moving from the KM group (now sony) to Nikon sometime soon so not sure if I want to pick up a used D70s or try to get a 3rd D300 for modding......not sure I could justify getting a D3 to modify if I go D3 over the D300........would really like all cams to be same model for idiot proofing....:D

Morning Art,

Thanks for the reply

I am glad this Lagoon was a little different:D

I use the 18-70 Kit lens, I have really been pleased with the results and it stays on the D70S all the time. The D70S uses the standard CF Cards, and would be my choice again for modding, that's what I bought mine new for.

My Wife shoots with a 7D an loves it, I have to admit it's a great camera with low noise and excellent image quality.

Thanks again, take care,

Craig
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • nwilkinsnwilkins Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    The Ferris wheel in the distance and the serpent thingy nearby are way kewl!
    Nancy Wilkins
    Canon 5D
    Canon 40D
    edited May 11, 2008
    nwilkins wrote:
    The Ferris wheel in the distance and the serpent thingy nearby are way kewl!

Howdy Nance,

Thanks very much!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas