How to protect my public pictures from unathorized use.

p6889kp6889k Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited May 8, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

I'm looking for an advice on how to protect my pictures that I post in forums such as this one from unauthorized use. I'm not a pro, but I would still hate for my pictures to be misused - especially those of my children. Most of my galleries are password protected as I only want my family to access it. I do have one public gallery though where I upload pictures for postings on message boards for critique.

Is there any help guide that could list for me the basics steps to take to prevent misuse or to legally prove misuse.

Here are some ideas I've had, but I'm not completely sure how to execute them or if I'm missing something.

Watermark - is it supposed to have some specific text, how big should it be, how to make it pleasing enough to not interfere with the viewer's experience.
Copyright - what's the correct legal wording

Gallery/Photo/Posting Disclosure - should I have some legal wording next to each photo or at the top of my gallery or forum post?
Anything else?

Thank you.

Comments

• phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Hi,

A few things come to mind -

With regards to posting on forums; only post a small to medium sized image. That way, it's not large enough for anyone to really do anything with.

Watermarking is also a good thing as it's very difficult for someone to remove a watermark. With our Professional account, you have the ability to create your own custom watermark (or use our built-in "PROOF" watermark).

Here's our information on watermarking:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-watermark-protection

Our system really makes it a breeze to add watermarks!

p6889k wrote:
    Hi,

I'm looking for an advice on how to protect my pictures that I post in forums such as this one from unauthorized use. I'm not a pro, but I would still hate for my pictures to be misused - especially those of my children. Most of my galleries are password protected as I only want my family to access it. I do have one public gallery though where I upload pictures for postings on message boards for critique.

Is there any help guide that could list for me the basics steps to take to prevent misuse or to legally prove misuse.

Here are some ideas I've had, but I'm not completely sure how to execute them or if I'm missing something.

Watermark - is it supposed to have some specific text, how big should it be, how to make it pleasing enough to not interfere with the viewer's experience.
    Copyright - what's the correct legal wording

Gallery/Photo/Posting Disclosure - should I have some legal wording next to each photo or at the top of my gallery or forum post?
    Anything else?

Thank you.
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/