Need some advice - XTi or 40D?

yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited May 12, 2008 in Cameras
Hi folks, I have a friend, Suann, who is ready to join the tribe and buy a DSLR. Suann currently has the not-too-shabby Canon G7, but her skills are pretty much that of a newbie. She's willing to spend $1000, plus or minus a couple hundred, and the subjects of her photos will mainly be her 1-year old son and the arts/crafts that she makes (her side business). She wants to get something that's easy to use, but not so simple that it's just a glorified point and shoot. She is also willing to make an investment in nicer equipment that she can grow into in the future. So, my recommendations came down to this...what do you think:

1) Canon XTi, with a Tamron 17-50 lens, or
2) Canon 40D, with the new 18-55 IS kit lens.

The two have different advantages and disadvantages, of course. Here's how I see it.

The argument for the XTi: it's a better combo in the short run and for the time being. The XTi will be similar to her G7, feature wise, but will still allow her to play around with the broader manual settings avaiable in a DSLR (as compared to those on her G7). The XTi's is not the current entry-level model, but it's not outdated either. She can keep with it for some time. Plus, the Tamron lens will still allow her to get good photos. All in all, it will run her under $1000. And later on, it's the body, not necessarily the lens, that she'll probably upgrade on.

The argument for the 40D: it's a better long run option. It'll cost about $1300 to get her started, with the new kit lens, and will get her better hardware, initially. She'll want to upgrade to a nicer lens later, depending on her shooting style and subjects of interest (a purchase she's already decided she's willing to make later on), but in the meantime, she can learn to use a DSLR. I don't think the 40D is necessarily "harder" to use than the XTi, although there are many features on it that she won't initially have need for as a beginner. But later on, those options will be there for her use.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 7, 2008
    Your option #1 is best overall. The Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF] plus the Canon XTi is a great combination. If you add the Canon EF-S 55-250mm, f/4-5.6 IS you are still below $1300.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&ci=1&shs=CAEDRXTIB*&Q=&O=
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550954-REG/Tamron_AF016N700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di_II.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543923-USA/Canon_2044B002_EF_S_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html

I would add an external flash if at all possible, perhaps the Sunpak 383 Super flash.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/52799-REG/Sunpak_0383_383_Super_Auto_Flash.html

Now you have a very nice basic system, capable of all manual operation and very good results in a tremendous number of situations.

Hook her up with a RAW converter like RAW Therapee and then the GIMP for final finishing and you have a complete solution for minimal costs and capable of professional results.

http://www.rawtherapee.com/
    http://www.gimp.org/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Your option #1 is best overall. The Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF] plus the Canon XTi is a great combination. If you add the Canon EF-S 55-250mm, f/4-5.6 IS you are still below $1300.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&ci=1&shs=CAEDRXTIB*&Q=&O=
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550954-REG/Tamron_AF016N700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di_II.html
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543923-USA/Canon_2044B002_EF_S_55_250mm_f_4_5_6_IS.html

I would add an external flash if at all possible, perhaps the Sunpak 383 Super flash.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/52799-REG/Sunpak_0383_383_Super_Auto_Flash.html

Now you have a very nice basic system, capable of all manual operation and very good results in a tremendous number of situations.

Hook her up with a RAW converter like RAW Therapee and then the GIMP for final finishing and you have a complete solution for minimal costs and capable of professional results.

http://www.rawtherapee.com/
    http://www.gimp.org/

Thanks Ziggy! OGM I had no idea that GIMP was out there. It's great!!! Thanks for the heads up.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    I would argue that option #1 is the better long-run choice. The lens is a better lens (at least by reputation) and will stick around for a long time. The body will get replaced in a few short years, at that time if the Rebel doesn't meet her needs any more, she can move up to the xxD at the time & keep using the good lens on it.

I would also say stick with the single lens at first. Let her use it exclusively & get really familiar with it. After a while she will learn if a longer lens is needed & have a better idea of what she wants out of it.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Neither of the above...
    I would suggest a refurb 30D (I have been shooting with a refurb 30D flawlessly for a year and had to send two "new" Canon DSLR cameras in for service during the first 90-days of ownership) and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. This combination would run $1,059 (Adorama prices: 17-50mm Tamron = $419 and Refurb 30D = $640).

If she could swing it, I would recommend that she include a flash and a bounce reflector-diffuser in her purchase. A new 430ex would be great but, if cash is short, a used 420ex can perform very well.
  • lendur2lendur2 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    yoyostock wrote:
    Hi folks, I have a friend, Suann, who is ready to join the tribe and buy a DSLR. Suann currently has the not-too-shabby Canon G7, but her skills are pretty much that of a newbie. She's willing to spend $1000, plus or minus a couple hundred, and the subjects of her photos will mainly be her 1-year old son and the arts/crafts that she makes (her side business). She wants to get something that's easy to use, but not so simple that it's just a glorified point and shoot. She is also willing to make an investment in nicer equipment that she can grow into in the future. So, my recommendations came down to this...what do you think:

1) Canon XTi, with a Tamron 17-50 lens, or
    2) Canon 40D, with the new 18-55 IS kit lens.

The two have different advantages and disadvantages, of course. Here's how I see it.

The argument for the XTi: it's a better combo in the short run and for the time being. The XTi will be similar to her G7, feature wise, but will still allow her to play around with the broader manual settings avaiable in a DSLR (as compared to those on her G7). The XTi's is not the current entry-level model, but it's not outdated either. She can keep with it for some time. Plus, the Tamron lens will still allow her to get good photos. All in all, it will run her under $1000. And later on, it's the body, not necessarily the lens, that she'll probably upgrade on.

The argument for the 40D: it's a better long run option. It'll cost about $1300 to get her started, with the new kit lens, and will get her better hardware, initially. She'll want to upgrade to a nicer lens later, depending on her shooting style and subjects of interest (a purchase she's already decided she's willing to make later on), but in the meantime, she can learn to use a DSLR. I don't think the 40D is necessarily "harder" to use than the XTi, although there are many features on it that she won't initially have need for as a beginner. But later on, those options will be there for her use.

Any thoughts?

XTi or XSi? What happened to all the others, with probably Nikon heading the list? In alphabetical order, Nikon D60 (the D90 is said to be soon to appear), Olympus E-420 (or E-520 to gain image stabilization), Panasonic (only comes with a Leica lens, so is expensive; therefore rule this out), Pentax K200, Samsung [model name of K200's equivalent?], Sigma [model name?] and Sony a300 or a350. (Forget Leica unless you happen to have a money tree growing in your backyard).

I second the motion for a flash; a medium-power one. Perhaps a coated circular polarizing filter. Add cleaning kits for lens and sensor; and a bag... There's your $1000 shot in a real hurry. Really it would do to get a tripod of modest build. Perhaps $200 worth? And I suggest a 3-stage pan head for no other reason than that an inexpensive pan holds better than an inexpensive ball. The final item is a reflector for fill-in and that, along with some sort of mount can be fashioned at home for very little outlay. The reflector can be well-crinkled aluminum foil stretched out over some stiff cardboard (e.g. appliance box) or solid foam or plastic sheet of modest dimensions (say, 2' x 2').

I invite additions, disagreements, or corrections geared towards providing the lady with the soundest advice.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    rpcrowe wrote:
    I would suggest a refurb 30D (I have been shooting with a refurb 30D flawlessly for a year and had to send two "new" Canon DSLR cameras in for service during the first 90-days of ownership) and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. This combination would run $1,059 (Adorama prices: 17-50mm Tamron = $419 and Refurb 30D = $640).

If she could swing it, I would recommend that she include a flash and a bounce reflector-diffuser in her purchase. A new 430ex would be great but, if cash is short, a used 420ex can perform very well.

For the budget you're working with a used 30D or new / used XTi will likely give you the best bang for the buck here. As for the Tamron, I've no personal experience with it, but I would say it's likely a great lens from what everyone else has said.
    edited May 12, 2008
    lendur2 wrote:
    XTi or XSi? What happened to all the others, with probably Nikon heading the list? In alphabetical order, Nikon D60 (the D90 is said to be soon to appear), Olympus E-420 (or E-520 to gain image stabilization), Panasonic (only comes with a Leica lens, so is expensive; therefore rule this out), Pentax K200, Samsung [model name of K200's equivalent?], Sigma [model name?] and Sony a300 or a350. (Forget Leica unless you happen to have a money tree growing in your backyard).

I invite additions, disagreements, or corrections geared towards providing the lady with the soundest advice.

She's a Canon purist. Plus, the recommender (me) is also a loyal Canonite.
    edited May 12, 2008
    rpcrowe wrote:

I agree there. Actually, I already pushed that exact idea, but she's not a big fan of buying used equipment, especially if it's running hundreds of dollars. If I had to spend the same amount, I would go with a used 20D and a used Canon 17-55, and then upgrade to the 40 or 50 or 60D, whichever's around at the time, after she's gotten used to using the camera.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    I'd go for the XTi/Tamron combo.
    Fast lenses will come in handy for portraits.
  • lendur2lendur2 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    yoyostock wrote:
    She's a Canon purist. Plus, the recommender (me) is also a loyal Canonite.

Why not recommend instead the XSi??? Last time I've checked, *that* was Canon. The XT(i) has a Digic II processor; the XSi a Digic III. Surely you don't lightly dismiss that advantage? Canon is reputed to have the best filter/processor in the whole photographic world, or do I misapprehend?

If she could have afforded the 40D (though $1000 was stated), then how about getting an especially nice IS lens?
    edited May 12, 2008
    lendur2 wrote:
    Why not recommend instead the XSi??? Last time I've checked, *that* was Canon. The XT(i) has a Digic II processor; the XSi a Digic III. Surely you don't lightly dismiss that advantage? Canon is reputed to have the best filter/processor in the whole photographic world, or do I misapprehend?

If she could have afforded the 40D (though $1000 was stated), then how about getting an especially nice IS lens?

Good point. The reason for the XTi over the XSi was solely one of price. The XTi/Tamrom combo was more of a "best bang (lens-wise, plus some sort of body to slap on it) for the lowest price" option, whereas the 40D option assumed a definite lens upgrade in about a year. The kitty was to just hold her over until then. The XSi would have run a couple hundred more than the XTi. Plus, once you get into the technological advantages of the XSi's specs, she might as well splurge a little more for the 40D.

Arggg, why does Canon offer so many options!?! Someone at Canon is laughing...
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    As a user of both, I think the XTi is plenty capable w/ that lens. If she needs a lil more range, consider the Canon 28-135 f3.5/5.6 IS also.
    XSi would probably be a better option but it will take her above $1K unless she gets like the Canon 50 1.8.
    I think about it over and over and if I jumped from a p&s to a 40D I may be overwhelmed and I'm a tech nerd.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com